Weekly Event: Call to Valor

Originally published at: Call to Valor – Gems of War
Who you gonna call?

New Troop: Valor

Just as the Archon Mercy descended to help rebuild Whitehelm, so too has Valor, the Archon of Sword's Edge, appeared to help Queen Ysabelle re-ascend the throne after the treachery of the Knights Coronet.

Valor however, is ill-suited for such tasks. Like a true knight, BATTLE is in his blood, not PEACE! He has a particular hatred for Daemons, and it is of concern to both Ysabelle and the reformed Dragon Knights that he may start a holy crusade against the creatures, when what their kingdom needs now is peace, not war.

Balance Changes As you know, the incoming 2.0 update will be all about PvP. As such, we wanted to smack down a couple of troops who were performing a little too well, especially in defense. This isn't a hard smack, more of a gentle slap, to 2 members of everyone's (least) favorite Goblin Team: Rocket & Boar Rider. With the extra turn (which is worth about 3 mana by itself) these guys were both just a little too efficient at their 9 mana cost. We've included a graph below showing the top 24 troops for defense, which highlights the Goblin-usage in PvP defense teams. Our goal is that when 2.0 goes live, and defense teams matter more, this small change might nudge a few folks to reconsider the "Global Goblin Defense Initiative"! We'll likely have some buffs incoming on some of the underused troops too, which should help make the decision easier.

Goblin Rocket

• Mana Cost increased from 9 to 11

Boar Rider

• Mana Cost increased from 9 to 11

To answer an obvious question… Why didn’t we nerf the Goblin, rather than his 2 comrades, given that he’s used more? The reasons are twofold. Firstly, he is a very important troop for new players, and we don’t want to make the game any harder for them. Secondly, as players rise in level, we actually see a natural decline of the Goblin in favor of his big brother, the Hobgoblin, who already had an adjustment quite a few months back.

And as for the Shaman… Well he get used in OTHER teams besides the Goblin Gang, so we didn’t want to mess with him for now.

Refunds All core Goblin troops will be available for refunds this week.

PVP Icon

PVP Rewards Reminder
With the PVP reset comes payouts in Souls for your efforts on the battlefield against other players. Remember, you’ll have until the next event to climb as high as you can and earn yourself some souls. Here’s what you can earn at each rank:

• * Rank 1: 300 Souls, 2000 Gold, 100 Glory, 10 Glory Keys
  • * Rank 2: 150 Souls, 1500 Gold, 50 Glory, 5 Glory Keys
  • * Rank 3: 80 Souls, 1000 Gold, 40 Glory
  • * Rank 4: 60 Souls, 900 Gold, 30 Glory
  • * Rank 5: 50 Souls, 800 Gold, 20 Glory
  • * Rank 6: 40 Souls, 700 Gold, 10 Glory
  • * Rank 7: 35 Souls, 600 Gold, 5 Glory
  • * Rank 8: 30 Souls, 500 Gold
  • * Rank 9: 25 Souls, 400 Gold
  • * Rank 10: 20 Souls, 300 Gold
  • * Rank 11: 16 Souls, 200 Gold
  • * Rank 12: 12 Souls, 100 Gold
  • * Rank 13: 8 Souls, 50 Gold
  • * Rank 14: 4 Souls, 10 Gold
  • * Rank 15: 1 Gold

Please note this Event only applies to Steam, iOS and Android versions of the game.

Join the Forum!

11 Likes

Ouch, RIP goblins.

I’m glad to see that defends are finally going to matter in 2.0, but you should be careful with nerfing by usage. Legends will be used a lot less due to less people having them, or having them leveled completely.

I, for one, am pleased with the demise of our goblin overlords.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I wonder where Hero would place on that graph, and with which weapons.

We didn’t include the hero, but he/she is actually out in front of the Goblin by a significant amount, which is okay considering the number of available weapons. We might post a weapon-chart later so you can see the stats on that one too.

3 Likes

I am willing to bet Warlord, Archer, and Sorcerer are the top 3 classes by high percents.

3 Likes

Warlord is first, as it is the first class most players unlock. Sorcerer is an easy second. But while Archer is in third, it is level with all the other classes save for the Warden which is least used.

5 Likes

@Nimhain @Sirrian Why havent overpowered Mercy been nerfed yet?

Nice to see this graph
Thanks for sharing this with us :+1:

3 Likes

Cool looking new troop but another trait stone for legendaries I don’t have :cry: It funny I have most but none the needed last week and none that need this week. I stocked up last week hoping some day I’ll pull a great maw or gorgatha but now I need to decieded if I try and stock up for if I can pull a bat some day.

Ah well great game though and the goblin nerf seems minor. Plus my gob-chomper team ate through them so fast I actually liked running into them. Easy gold :grinning:

What makes Mercy overpowered?

She is the only troop in the game that has an empowered convert spell.

2 Likes

Her 3rd trait.

She should had been traited with fast.

We do not speak of such words.

What do you mean?

he means he uses mercy :slight_smile: Jk.

Try explaining to @Lyya that you want to nerf Mercy.

4 Likes

Not a big fan of the nerfs for the two Goblin troops, but with all the whining about them on the forum it was inevitable i guess. It won’t stop people from posting them as their defense team, it will just keep people from using it for invades…