Weapon Affix change: the suffering weapons

By popular demand, exploding gem affix for weapon were changed, and, in general, it’s a great fix.
But, there are always exceptions, and there are a few weapons that were better with the explosions.
I have 3 exemple in mind:
Death Knell, with the extra turn in the spell, the explosion made it a nice useable weapon for cycling team (like goblins). Now it’s back on the bench.

Runeforger. The extra explosion made the weapon more viable in teams while using one less brown troop.

Boom Boom. Made it 4 gem explode instead of 3, making it a more decent Exploder.

My point?
I understand that there is a huge collection of troops, and just a small team of devs, and so it’s easier to apply « blanket fix », changing one aspect of the game across all cards.

But sometimes, it would be nice to see more finesse into these things, like Class trees, or general effect changes like mana generated from explosions.

Like, if you change the « create a gem » affix… it will be great for most of them. But exceptions exist, like Morthani’ s Scythe.

Just my feedback.

7 Likes

Yeah, as was discussed in another topic, it was hasty and heavy-handed to change “all exploding affixes”. It would’ve been much better if the devs sat down and designed each weapon to have beneficial affixes.

Players only complained about a handful of very specific weapons. While it was probably easy to replace the implementation of the specific explosion affixes, I wonder if it would’ve been so difficult to add a new affix and replace the exploding ones on just the highlighted weapons.

2 Likes

Death Knell still feels great as it generates a total of 8 manas (2 for each ally) which is more than a single explosion alone (without cascades) can generates, also if there is a possible 4/5 match on the board and you have Death Knell ready there is no risk that you’ll lose that match and can net more mana gain in the end.

Runeforger feels more thematic granting 2 Manas to all Brown allies, but i agree in this case as the weapon itself makes some explosions. Fixing that would be easy, just makes it Explode 1 Random Gem and 1 extra for each Brown ally and while we are at it some extra damage and stunning the main target of the spell would be just fine.

Boomboom… This weapon sucks in every scenario in my head… But i don’t feel bad about it as much as i feel bad about cool looking weapons like Ice Aegis having the best of their effects locked out by the absence of an enemy Boss.

3 Likes

Here is another list of weapons that some players specifically stop upgrading, because the traits are detrimental to their use (or the player’s preference). Most of these traits are having to do with destroying or creating gems when that isn’t the weapon’s main focus. This often causes board state changes that are unfavorable or uncontrollable.

Dawnbringer

• Hot: Destroy a Red Gem
  • Dawn: Destroy a Yellow Gem

Creeping Death

• Dying: Create a Skull

Mang

• Warm: Create a Red Gem
1 Like

Hopefully devs are not forgetting about this topic…

There’s a long list of weapons for this topic, but just ran into another one. I was having fun with a tauros team (finally) + Megavore using Primal Axe, when suddenly I realised the axe had not yet been upgraded. I was thinking “sweet, it’s going to be even better now!”

Applied the upgrades, aaaaaaaand it’s useless. The “Destroy 3 Green Gems” affix takes out all the 4-5 matches you could possibly have on green gem creation.

4 Likes

Mind-blowing stuff here. It’s fine for some significant benefit to carry with it a smaller weakness or risk, but no upgrade should ever be a net negative.

Another weapon:

Secrets of the Crypt

• Bone - Create A Bonestorm (This weapon is about stalling and the slow game, bonestorm is counter-intuitive to this cause)

Will this issue be looked again? Since there won’t be an option to remove certain traits on troops/weapons.
For troops, we at least can disenchant all copies and get a new untraited one. Not ideal, but it works.
For weapons, once upgraded, nothing can be done. Or can we also be allowed to disenchant a weapon?

This isn’t true.

They may look into some of these weapon affixes, per the recent Dev Q&A stream.

Really? I only see they may buff some weapons.

Might not have been mentioned in the summary notes since it was a pretty small mention – gimme a sec…

Ok, I got you

Okay, check out

• 58:17 (Twitch) – essentially, they’re aware some players are having issues, they’d like to look at them and see where those issues are and whether or not they can be addressed, whether or not they can keep them as is; and

• 1:08:16 (Twitch) – they’d rather fix the trait/affix than remove it; they don’t think just removing them is the right thing. It won’t be a quick fix, but it will be one of the main things they look into now that they’ve brought back old Event Weapons and are about to fix the PvP scoring issue (so somewhat good news!!!).

2 Likes

From a personal perspective, it does seem strange to me that the potential dangers (esp. compared to the slight chance of any potential benefit) of these affixes aren’t intuitive or apparent for the Devs. They did seem to note that it was particularly an issue for the Doomed Weapons, however.

Simply removing them would in fact be an amazing band-aid fix for me, at least, while they work on replacements. While they seemed to want to work out exactly where the issues were, I kind of wanted a perspective on which aspects of these affixes they liked – as the random gem creation is generally too hit and miss, imo, to provide any consistent benefit.

1 Like

Random gem creation (edit: of a single gem) is statistically more likely to hand the AI a free turn than you. It’s not just your opinion.

The devs designed the affixes to provide a little bit of free mana, which is an admirable goal and would make for a nice affix. However, they have not acknowledged (at least, from what I have seen) that end gamers care far more about controlling the board state than they do about 1-3 free mana.

4 Likes

Still got Doomed Club literally @%^$ing over its own extra turns with that random gem spawn. Its one thing to have Dawnbringer randomly create gems that do random nonsense, but with a transformer we’re looking for a guarantee… DB still not okay of course.

Totally agree. Personally, I don’t even like the last trait of Essence of Evil

1 Like

That’s why I didn’t fully upgrade doomed club. I can’t take the chance to leave a full of doom skull board with extra turn to AI.

I think that dev who doesn’t play the game (Ozball not so long ago said that some of them play the game) got the task to create weapon affixes and assign them to weapons. He wanted to do the task and doesn’t understand the game. He created a lot of affixes for various game mechanics like an explode/create/destroy gems, extra turn, etc and put them into RNG machine to assign them to weapons. Rope Dart got extra turn affix, a lot of weapons got bad affixes.
I don’t believe that affixes were assigned manually to 200+ weapons.

I have nothing to include to this thread that hasn’t been said already.
But I do have a request for this feature request.
Please change the title to “Weapon Affix needs a fix”.
Thank you in advance. :grinning:

4 Likes