This is Getting Ridiculous

It’s maw for now, but there will always be trends of things we get sick of seeing on our list of enemies. Maw, Mab, Goblins, Worms. Lets use Maw as the keyword for any enemy we see too much of and this idea can apply to all.

Now if only we had some sort of filter that put enemies of your skill level with cards you’d battled less often into higher priority. That would be a great way to remove Maw from your list and keep things fresh for players. So fresh that the thing you’d been matched with least would be the newest cards, so we’d get to battle their different builds should Tacet update his defense team to them. I know, tracking how many times every player has battled certain troops might be too much to ask of the server, but that would be best. Alternatively would be a strike rule to remove a monster for a few games after seeing it too many times.

1 Like

Threads? I have no idea? But if irritation turns to less folks spending money on gow then perhaps a fix to maw will be done?

1 Like

or a 100$ armor will come out :sunglasses:

1 Like

I totally agree and what makes it worse is that Mabs is STILL broken …and Impervious is STILL broken for ios users.

5 Likes

Nice to hear that. :grinning: I love seeing more variety in the game.
Moa, Dryad, Ancestral Spirit, Mercy seems like a great Maw counter. Mercy transforms and fills with yellow Moa and Dryad. Moa stuns and damages Maw, Dryad keeps Moa alive, Ancestral Spirit denies mana and does true damage… :relaxed:
Needs testing, but seems like a good team.
I run into Maw teams 4 out of 10 times in PvP (lvl 215 currently) and 3 out of 4 of those are wins with my main team for PvP. Jarl, Alchemist, Moloch, Moloch. Even if I were to lose half of those matches, or all of them, one win nets +40 on average, so I have ample time to recover lost points. It might be different for lvl 1000 because of the opposition they face, but that is true for any game. There is no “always win” team because of the nature of RNG. If the board aligns nicely with a 5 red match I can win on the first turn by spamming Jarl and burning/corrupting everyone. Did that twice vs full Maw/Bone dragon/Mercy teams. Also had the opposing Maw devour two of my troops in one turn on skull matches, and I lost. So? It only makes winning that much sweeter, knowing you just beat a top of the line team and all that. Does anyone really want a team that wins every match no matter the opponent, board setup or skill? I do not.

1 Like

As we saw in the spoiler thread, that new ultra rare seems a perfect counter to Maw. If its colour comes out right, I already have a team for it. :smiley:
Though, as I said before, Maw aint that big of a deal right now for me.

1 Like

I don’t think devour needs a complete removal since there are troops that are 100% immune to it. To balance Maw I would reduce its legendary ability to 10% and increase mana cost to 26.

2 Likes

That’s a good start… I’d say 27… not that it makes a huge difference with Mercy to power it up…

To be honest, a different third trait would be preferable… give that Hunger trait to Kerberos or something… Maw already has a great spell, let someone else have a great trait…

1 Like

Something like this, yeah…

Weren’t the devs considering reducing the third trait at one point? I was hoping they would do that with the latest update.

I’d like to see a troop with a “reflect” legendary trait: 25% chance to negate any hability and reflect it back.
Maybe little bit op? :wink:

With the way RNG is towards percentages in this game, there would be countless threads about the AI always reflectibg the players abilities.

1 Like

To the OP, I agree with the sentiment that post mab change, matchups are now heavy Maw… not that it’s 9/10 for me, but there’s far more MAW than there was before.

I also agree with the sentiment that Mab should be reverted. The addition of Impervious was well and good but there was NO reason to nerf Mab too. Maw now beats Mab way too often. It used to be that an intelligent with a bit of luck cycling Mab deck could beat the Maw / Mercy and alike builds. However, Famine… and plague… and spirit fox and now the latest card drops all stack heavily against Queen Mab’s mana or skill production. It’s getting ‘ridiculous’. The change to Queen Mab feels like overkill and an unfortunate knee-jerk at this point.

I’m perfectly fine with Maw the way it is and think the change to impervious was needed. However Impervious alone not only kept a mob from being mana burned, but they cannot have any status effects, so no frozen either… that was a one-two punch right there… that REALLY shuts mab out of the picture quick… Maw on the other hand just eats something else, and continues to pound away with criticals and the alike… so what if it cannot devour when it’s a 50+ attack… combined with things like infernal king, it hits like a truck so Impervious had a much lessor effect on it - unless the entire team is Impervious… a rarity due to lack of good combos…

I’m happy with Maw to feel and be powerful, it’s last trait is fine with me… BUT, other powerful combos need to exist to deal with it. Sooth / Mab / Valk was one of those combos that really did not need to be messed with and I miss her. A player who wanted to have a strong spell / magic using team was drawn to Mab’s potential, building up in crescendo for massive blasts to wreck Maw threats - if they can keep it going… it was most importantly - FUN!

I seriously hope @Sirrian, @Nimhain and the gang are considering a revert the Queen Mab change… and soon.

3 Likes

I posted about this over a month ago… Devour is a terrible skill in this game, there is NO OTHER SKILL even near its efficiency or potency.

I have started playing less and less, everytime my PVP has 3 maws, I stop playing pvp. I collect my hourly bonuses and just hope that someday the devs will actually make a positive change. These last so many Mythic/Maw troops really make the game have less strategy. Any strategy game that can be over before you get turns, means its a luck game.

Board controlling infinite turns is also problematic, just not as problematic as maw, and when teamed with maw makes this game frustrating to those who cannot counter it effectively.

Just my 2 cents…

1 Like

My board-controlling, infinite turn team is how I deal with Maw.

1 Like

I thought I saw a level 1001 the other day.

a semi glitch a few players were allowed to keep,since the cap will be raised…soon tm :grin:

1 Like

I’m running Sooth/Valk/Mab/Sooth, and mowing down Maws without any trouble. I haven’t lost a game since I started using it. If the change from 10 to 13 gems for the extra turn has made it too tough for you, then you weren’t playing the team very well. Mab is no longer brain-dead easy, but still one of the strongest troops in the game. You just have to use a little strategy, and the team doesn’t effortlessly wipe every possible opponent, which is a good thing. No one team should be able to beat everything easily.

They keep adding counters for Maw, and while I still think there are some serious design flaws with Hunger, there are at least a variety of viable options now.

1 Like

@Spherix,

1st congrats on the success, glad that team is rolling for you. I haven’t had the same success.

There are definitely a number of builds on defense which should give that a run for it’s money. Behemoth heavy teams, an all impervious team like gorgotha, behemoth, plague and Carnex seems like you’d have a terrible time with as your mab does nothing to them… Even Sister’s team of gorgotha, YasmineChalice/Archer, Rowanne and Carnex should give you trouble… on paper… but still, if you are clearing these out without fail using this same one trick type team, despite the quick charges and Impervious trait, well - hat’s off. That’s not my experience. I could see evn the simpliest of Maw teams with AI throwing mercy and 1-turning maw with a mab devour ruining your day as well, but I guess you haven’t run into that.

At any rate, congrats on the match-ups and success.

I appreciate the sentiment. However, allow me to clarify perhaps. It’s not a matter of the mab changing and becoming ‘too tough for me.’ It’s a matter of overkill when not needed.

Impervious in itself delivered a 1+2 punch. She can’t freeze, and she cannot do any damage to them - it renders her useless against an Impervious heavy or all Impervious team. She doesn’t even do her base magic damage when she casts against them… she just does nothing with Nevermore now. Eliminating her power and her trait is a pretty drastic change for one opposition trait to accomplish. She doesn’t even do partial damage with her spell… she might as well be permanently silenced or stunned.

From where I sit, defense teams and players seem to have radically swung away from Mab in ranked PVP defense, and even offenses from those I’ve spoken too. In my experience thus far Maw offenses are even more prevalent with Mab being abandoned. There’s a reason why more carnex, behemoth and plague are being played… Couple the effects of Impervious with general increase in extra turn costs - even when facing a non-impervious team, and it’s a net sum loss for Mab’s favor… IMO, that’s unfortunate and unnecessary.

Again IMO, they corrected too far with her. I would have preferred they test Impervious impact alone.

Prior to 2.0.1, even though Maw defenses generated a fair amount of vocal disdain, the 2.0.1 changes seem to have hammered more on Mab than Maw in the end… and to the point that I would say, unnecessarily so.

PS - my present preferred team now is Maw, valk, mab, mercy… I was running sooth, valk, mab, valk in prior 2.0.1… however, Maw is now the focus, not Mab in the current team. Moreover, if I run up against an impervious heavy team - I swap this team out all together now. I’ll still run something like Maw, IK, Sheg and Mercy… but there is no reason to run mab at all against an impervious heavy team. I only pull maw out all together - if there is NOTHING for him to chomp.

That seems like an overkill result in Mab’s adjustment.

I actually enjoy facing Maw, Maw, Maw! lol…It is easy to counter. I also enjoyed the former Mab strength as well and did not like seeing it nerfed(still does not work on Iphone).

I am more of a believer in creating new, tough troops to counter tough troops instead of nerfing them when everybody complains about them.

Famine is a good example of a tough troop that can silence some of the stronger troops out there. Mab was as well prior to the nerf.

Keep creating stronger, faster troops that annoy…and than create counters to them…I think these new troops are a plus to the game

5 Likes