The Real issue with Divine's( and her name is Ishbaala)

/off topic: and expect more silly answers and remarks this week. Lost my regular status. Which I find ridiculous to be honest. Been here since day 1, literally. Why can’t we just keep regular status once earned? /back to topic

QFT
Those troops are divine for a reason. It seems pretty obvious to me why a big % of mythics have the divine type. It makes perfect sense to make gods mythics.

Discourse forums has code that automatically handles member status based on defined criteria like how many threads you read, likes received/given, etc.

2 Likes

I wonder. Could it be that some administrator can change some of these parameters? Just a thought. :grin:

As somebody who uses the Divine team of doom on offense (not defense), it is fast and fairly easy to win with. I will not argue that in comparison to some of the other combinations the team could be looked at as “overpowered”. As I have understood and partially agreed with the point made in the OP, indulge me in expressing my take on the situation.

This game NEEDS something like this team. In a perfect world everything would be balanced, right? Well, here’s the problem with that. When everything is 100% balanced, it all comes down to skill. This game, IMO, as I’ve said countless times, is luck based. From the player controlled matches to the AI defense, it’s 99.5% luck.

So what does a balanced world look like to me? It looks like this: do I want to make 4 extra matches of yellow to cast Infernus, or do I want to make 4 extra matches of (insert color here) to cast (insert troop here) to ultimately still have the same battle, but slower, limiting my gold income, doubling my play time, and unnecessarily making everything that is now… the same… but longer. Every match would be the same. That is balance. Then it comes down to luck. Again, it would be the same match, just longer.

In a shooter, or actual live PVP game, balance is important. In this? Not so much. Losing means a win is just a few clicks/swipes away. Your defense losing means more income. The Divine meta means you win faster, and you lose faster.

A “balanced” world on paper is good, but taking that to reality, IMO, will do nothing but slow the grind of PVP/matches down, and nobody will benefit from that.

I did not realize that Divines were suppose to be “gods”. But knowing that, now i can understand why the dev’s make them so powerful

now Mind you i don’t run Divine teams cause i feel it takes all challenge away from the game, so i don’t have much experience running them on Invade but… “not brainless” and “they take more thought & time to pick your proper move” really!!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: All you have to do is finish collecting 11 mana. the only spell that can back fire is Ishbaala Skull generation, but that is the case for all skull generators. I dont see how you can feel any threat when playing with a divine team on invading unless you are facing another Divine team.

Thats one of the reasons Divine teams work so well of defense cause its a pretty brain dead team, and the AI is Brainless so… yea

Since we are not actually talking about real life religion “logic” but fantasy divine beings i don’t see that as obvious at all, aside from that in many older religions gods are bested, defeated or even killed by mortals or gargantuan creatures as forces of nature a lot, contradicting this entirely.
In unrelated fantasy gods get bested all the time by mortals who are presented as the most powerful, brutal or cunning individuals of their mortal species.
Why can’t Jotnar just be the strongest and most brutal specimen of the titanic Stormheim giants, why does he have to be some weird divine giant? Same goes for several of the Divine mythics.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder why Wulfgarok and Doomclaw got missed out. It can’t just be that they got the wrong wings… Ketras has bat wings…

4 Likes

Edit: It looks like they can change the amounts of some of the criteria. So, there’s that. But, they can’t just make someone a permanent regular.

FYI: What’s needed for regular status: Link

1 Like

Wulfgarok has gone from being so awesome to being basically useless, which makes me sad. And Doomclaw was never that great, sadly - he’s like a lottery ticket. At the very least his trait should enrage two random allies so that he has a 50% chance of being helpful by buffing the skullmeister.

I love this thread, great replies all-around.

I think what the issue under it all is the Cleanse paired with a Transform plus the Trait.

All three combine in a way that makes her value/worth almost double a normal card, and because of the Cleanse it allows for pretty much every Status Effect on both offence and defense to be disregarded while you overload the build for pure control/DPS.

Look at my latest build to see how unfair she is even when de-coupled from other popular Divines. Team “Skull-O-Mania” builds on the above and adds additional Deprive and Fast
Fill strategies.

Just my opinion.

I feel like right now the game’s healthier than it has been, possibly than it was when I made initial complaints that led to this thread.

We should have, on offense, multiple teams that are fast and relatively good against the meta. Multiple. Before Ubastet and before Doomskulls, we had one. Diviner/Ishbaala/Infernus/Mercy. There was no reason, other than “challenge”, to run any other team. The alternatives we have are fast and flashy, but Doomskulls in particular is slow and clunky so the Psion defense can run it over. Anything with Ishbaala can simply move faster than Psion, so Ubastet looks scary but it’s really because the Diviner slot in “Infernish” has always been the wildcard. “Just put any Divine here”.

If we wanted the game to be “challenging” every match it’d be super easy: stop letting people use more than one of a rarity on any offense team. Losing the ability to use 2+ mythics and 2+ legendaries would dramatically kick the power out of the teams we’re able to field. But I’mma tell you a little secret:

Losing sucks. No one likes it. I can’t believe for a moment everyone that complains about a lack of challenge would enjoy the game if it were balanced to make a 60% win rate “fantastic skill”.

I said it in another thread and it kind of bears repeating here: if we nerf to make Doomskulls and Divines weaker, we’re left with a much slower game. It’s taken me almost a year to get to the level I’m at. I think it’s dang slow enough. I like that I can bang out 2 or 3 PvP matches on my work breaks. I used to be able to do it with a TDS/Worldbreaker team too, but the win rate was frustratingly bad. Everything I had before Infernish that had a good win rate took 3x as long to win. I do NOT want to go back to that.

But I think that’s a divide in the playerbase: some people want a slower, more strategic game. That takes some tweaks on both offense and defense, and it’s not a bad idea for the game. In their game, teams like Divines or Doomskulls shouldn’t exist, and we probably need to nerf all exploders and all generators to have very severe caps in order to build that world. I don’t personally like the idea of that kind of game, I think we’d also have to dramatically rebalance the game’s economy to reflect “now matches take 3-5 minutes”.

Other people (me included) want and like a faster game. Doomskulls and Divines are exemplary teams for this playstyle. I think the devs are favoring this playstyle. I think this is why a lot of people are complaining: if you want/like the slow playstyle, it’s easy to get the feeling you’re not being served.

I don’t think both player groups can be made happy, and this isn’t an issue where compromise can really exist.

4 Likes

Perhaps its time to consider one of the following

• Change some of the start with 50% mana traits for some races to 25%, in addition to keeping the 50% trait where appropriate
  • Universal Mana surge percent reduction for both AI & Player at all levels
  • Split Divine into two groups: Holy troops (Whitehelm), and create a new Deity type for some Mythics
  • Add multiple (Divine) counters to the game before 2019, this might be unrealistic. :wink:

Note: I don’t know how D Ish plays at low or mid level, or how any of these modification would effect the play at that level.

I don’t think so. I guess that making a new troop now is much harder than 1 or 2 years ago, because of much more existing troops, so:

• we don’t want a copy-paste from another troop so devs have to find a new spell and lastly it means “power creep”
  • have to think to much more synergy than before, and sometimes devs surely forget about some combinaison
  • keep motivation for players to get the new troops, because if they are crappy compared to other troops, less players will spend their ressources

But I agree that player suggestions on the spoiler topic is since few months-one year totally unlistened and that’s a shame.

Good idea, I guess. But lorely speaking Divine Ish should boost Deity so same issue… And CB should become a Holy-killer so we loose a counter…

Aby was first designed with a +25% mana to all Daemons. Queen Isa with a +25% mana to all Knights. Both of them lost this trait for another one because maybe it was too powerful. So why giving a troop with +50% mana to all Divine?

6 Likes

I was thinking of “Ancient” as a name for the off-shoot.

We’ve got Ishbaala’s 50%, and the Mythics in question not being super-crazy expensive like Worldbreaker, so it literally just takes Mercy and how many of these nasties are yellow right tons of them are.

This could do with some diversifying. Happened to Constructs, no idea why, but right now it could certainly happen again and nobody would complain.

Infernus could cost 26-28 mana and we’d still use him. Ubastet… ugh. I like the idea of centering him on Raksha troops but they’re so lame… at least nerf the damage somehow. Ratio is an issue because we already do math for the 4:1, 5:1 is just iffy. But Wulfgarok is sitting here furiously since he only does a third of the damage and has his execute blocked by immunities.

2 Likes

If we wanted the game to be “challenging” every match it’d be super easy: stop letting people use more than one of a rarity on any offense team. Losing the ability to use 2+ mythics and 2+ legendaries would dramatically kick the power out of the teams we’re able to field.

Uhm talking about Divines i don’t think that’ll accomplish a lot as you’d just swap Mercy or Divinier with another troop…

As for the slow vs fast playstyle part, i don’t think that is the disconnect at all. What i personally object to is that this fast playstyle basically only comes with 1% of the troop selection. We have all those different troop types in the game, and all these classic formerly beloved legendaries and they are all completely and utterly useless if you like a fast playstyle, that exactly is the problem. The game never achieved a good balance between the trooptypes in the past, but at least the Devs used to try that back then, and the gap between what works and what doesn’t was much smaller if you look at efficiency.

Power creep isn’t even the right term to use anymore, it is an open arms race and has been for a while. Not so long ago when talking about base mythic balance we discussed about whether a damage-focused base mythic oneshotting a troop might be too powerful or just the right amount of power for the manacost, now we are at the point where oneshotting two targets is “just fine”.
Newly released legendary troops must be at 2-3 times the Overall powerlevel of classic legendaries just to get people to even try it out in teams.
Troops that were formerly clearly broken are now used to justify the powerlevel of the next big released broken thing etc.
There is no rebalancing of old troops and kingdom redesigns have been dropped as a feature aswell, obviously as it goes against the Devs current business model.
This is not a fast vs slow issue, this is a the troops and diverse types i used to love in this game are now pointless and become more pointless with every new released broken thing.

2 Likes

i agree. too balanced will be boring. with troops in upper power curve, it can be a clear goals for people to shoot for, instead of simply collect any cards or reach level 1000. i think people are happier to receive a proven strong troop from chest compared to just another balanced troop.

we already have balanced troops in the game but they get less spotlight, if balanced means medium damage, no surprise explosion, very calculated move, average effect, less RNG dependent. i would be happy if people just play their balanced content without policing fast power content.

So are you going to eliminate forest guardian third trait? Titan hero would also need this same nerf. Ishbaala has the same type trait as both of those. There is nothing wrong with devine teams. On defense they are very beatable.

The only thing i find stupid about uba, exept the triple kill bug, is if every troop got 600 health and 1 got 50 then uba gonna kill the 50 health + the 600 health and he got unlimited cast, if you compare with scorpius, he need absotely 2 last troops poisoned for 2 guarantee kill and only can cast once.

2 Likes

They need to rework old cards then. Like wulfgarok and skorpius.