The endgame player dilemma

Yes! Back on subject! I would like to apologize for almost derailing this topic… That was not my intention at all…

I personally have not spent any money on GoW uet but there are 5 ppl who started because i hipped em to it and 2 of thwm have spent $$

Once i am done renovating my new house i fully intend to get myself and my wife to vip 5

1 Like

There are some weapons, that aren’t available by other conventional means.
Sun and Moon - is a good example that was here not so long ago. And that’s a nice weapon, worthy of a few coins if you are looking for a way to spend your money on a game you like.

There are plenty of rubbish weapons as well … So I’d advise waiting for Soul Forge and see if you can get them that way, or you get some more goodies for real money afterwards.

That’s the thing with odds. You had a 78% chance of getting 1 with 1500 keys yet each batch of 50 is only 5%.

3 Likes

Yeah, lol, so annoying tho… :joy:

Not even a “top” guild. If your guild can complete the Blue statue each week, that’s around $50 USD value for free.

I realize Gems are intended to be a “bread and butter” transaction, but the value is so low on them I will personally never buy them. To have enough for 50 Gem keys (450 gems) you need to spend $40 USD. To have enough for 50 VIP keys (2,250 gems) you’re looking at a whopping $130, and you’re not even guaranteed anything specific for the spend. These are not “micro” transactions, and definitely do not exude “value for money” to most prospective buyers.

When I recently moved from VIP 5 to VIP 6 I spent several weeks trying to find something worthwhile to buy. I ended up buying an Arcane pack to get the last bit I needed because it was a “Red” week and my biggest need is Arcanes that are half-Red, so there was at least some value there. It’s really frustrating when you have the cash to spend but everything being offered feels like a ripoff.

I got the Death Knight armor my first week playing GoW, so for me it was incredible value. For a maxed-out player, though, that value drops significantly.

There are three other free-to-play mobile games I play occasionally. They all have a premium currency on offer. One of them occasionally has “events” where it’s impossible to grind enough to get everything for free, but the premium currency prices to get a missing item are not prohibitively high. This resulted in me buying some premium currency here and there to get items I wanted. I think I’ve spent around $40 on that game (over a period of 3-4 years) and I feel it’s money well spent.

The other two, I haven’t paid a cent, because the conversion rate for premium currency to actual rewards is horrible. Unlike the first game (and unlike GoW) there is a very finite list of what premium currency can purchase. There are no cosmetics, no permanent buffs (like the armors in GoW) that you can buy. Your only three choices in these games are refilling your stamina bar, expanding your storage space, or pulling the slot machine for troops/troop gear.

What I look for are things that can permanently enhance my play experience. In GoW, the thing I find the most attractive is Gold Bonus %, because that’s what helps me meet my guild’s requirements quicker each week and be able to contribute above and beyond what is requested. That’s what made me decide to go from VIP 5 to VIP 6. Unfortunately, the next buff to Gold Bonus is at VIP 10, and that’s another $600 above what I’ve already spent. It doesn’t come across as value for money, so if nothing changes, I’m likely done spending.

I hope I haven’t come across as overly critical of GoW. I really enjoy the game, and I don’t feel bad about a single dollar I’ve spent thus far. It’s frustrating to be in a position where you wouldn’t mind spending more money in the future, but want to get something you consider valuable for it.

That said, I try to never point out a problem without also suggesting a solution :slight_smile:

What kinds of microtransactions do I think GoW needs?

Gems
For one, Gems need to come down in price significantly. If a 50-pack of Gem keys was $10 instead of $40, it’s a lot easier to pull the trigger and say “what the hell, I’ll try one”.

Armor
How about upgrades to the Death Knight armor? Let me pay another $25 to buff my Gold Bonus from +100% to +135%, or another $50 to buff it to +200%. Same for experience and souls. This lets players customize their armor and purchase the upgrades that apply to their interest. Just like with the initial DK armor purchase, include some other things like Gold, Keys, or Gems with each upgrade. (DK armor came with 200 Gems, 40 Gold keys, 30 Glory keys, 20 Gem keys, and 10 Event keys, for reference.)

Daily key packs
These would be along the same line as daily Gem/Gold/Map packs. $5 gets you a pre-determined number of daily Gold/Glory/Gem/Event keys. These should be similar in value to the daily Gem pack ($5 for just shy of $20 worth of Gems) adjusted for the new, cheaper price of Gems noted in my first suggestion.

Smaller Arcane packs
$35 for 36 arcanes isn’t bad value if you need all the types of stones on offer, but how about packs of 5 of a single Arcane for $5? Boost the $35 pack to include 7 or 8 of each Arcane so the bigger spend gives a visible value.

Boost to starting moves for treasure maps
This would stack with the player’s Guild bonus. A lot of high-end players specifically consider maps a slog with poor rewards for the time invested.

Treasure map boosts
These would provide permanent bonuses to various aspects of treasure maps.
-Instead of getting a random traitstone every 15 moves, a boost lowers it to 12/10 moves.
-A boost to Gold earned from treasure maps, that stacks with your Hero’s Gold bonus multiplier.
-Boosts that lower the tiers where certain rewards can drop. For example, instead of needing red chests for a rare shot at a Glory key, they can now drop from green chests! Instead of needing a safe for a rare chance of a Gem key, they can now drop from red chests!
-Boosts that give guaranteed rewards. Hit 100 moves? Congratulations, have 5 Glory keys, or a Gem key.
-A boost that adds a new chest type that has a random chance to take the place of a metal, green, or red chest, and contains keys or a troop relative to the tier of chest it replaced when it spawned.

6 Likes

Do you mean Infernus?

Yes, i opened A LOT of chests to get him. Gem and VIP chests and i didn’t got him. -___-

1 Like

yeah, Infernus. possibly 20K+ worth of gems.

But when it hits the other way, like getting a mythic with 100 or fewer keys, it’s spectacular. (The Stonehammer on my alt is a case of that. 10 glory keys and pure luck.)

Back on topic, yeah the VIP chests do have the best odds and even if you whiff, the extra epics+ and traitstone are a huge bonus. I’m considered an end game player and still need plenty of stones.

2 Likes

true… i once opened my 4 daily gem keys form my VIP Level and boom… got a mythic, two legendaries and a traitstone. XD

1 Like

we had a member in Black Dragon that got 3 mythics out of a 50 bach gem keys, he did needed 2 of the mythics he got. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Now that is the truth. That’s the most important one to me. And every Monday it’s completed.

I have yet to obtain the mythical mythic

I still need Elemaugrim, Queen Aurora and Infernus. :confused:

Hopefully crafting will help out in the long run…

I need war death aby stonehammer ketras ele amd infernus

I just need one mythic! I’m feeling like I’m not even a part of the Elite players…ie.

@Vangor @Eika @Strat if you know you qualify I mean you too! But yeah!

May I have a mythic!? Pretty please?

There are 2 $50 packs that each give a guaranteed mythic if all else fails.

1 Like

Long-time players like @Darkness already have all those weapons. They used to be available in the weekly glory rewards packs.

3 Likes

VIP are fine. I got 4 Jotnar Stormshield when he was released with 50 keys.

i have only been burnt once where I spent 200 VIP keys with out getting the released mythic. Usually it only takes 50 keys and then you can save up to have 200 VIP the next month

There’s still so much I don’t know about the history of this game :roll_eyes: