(!) Spoiler Alert (!) -- [Any Details Provided are Subject to Change] (Part 1)

Sounds like a Battle Pass in a nutshell.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to comment or not, but its a slow boring Monday so I figure I would:

Blind Guardian
Unseeing Eye
Drain up to 10 Mana from an Enemy. Explode 1 Gem for each Mana drained. [1:1]
Mana Color: Yellow, Purple
Mana Cost: 13

Trait #1: Magic Heart
Gain 1 Life for each Purple ally.

Trait #2: Song of Darkness
Summon a Darkstorm at the start of Battle.

Trait #3: Magic Link
Gain bonus Purple Mana from Purple Gem matches.

Mana Color: Yellow, Purple
Mana Cost: 13

Every other “Nyx” troop drains up to 12 mana, so I just don’t see why this one only drains up to 10. What’s worse is since it has no built in base explosion number, once you run out of targets, it does nothing. Admittedly, the other Nyx troops would also do “nothing”, but you expect an exploder to explode as a primary function. .

Should I care? probably, not. I don’t ever see myself using this troop despite having some nice traits. Pattern design calls out to me to create similar troops.

This troop also has a 13 mana cost compared to the nerfed Nyx 14 mana, but honestly, in a world of empowered troops… Nyx and company could be dropped back down to 13 safely.

Do you know what they COULD do to make this troop see frequent gameplay?

… Remove Magic Heart and give it Empowered.

Yeah, Empowered sucks, but at least it can drain other Empowered troops that way (and slightly counter Anu Medals/50% start teams as well). Oh, and the downside being a random explosion gamble.

Sounds good to me.

4 Likes

Anti-empowered mana generator that is an empowered mana generator.

If that pass can be bought with gems, and it doesn’t mean grinding for hours on end, I’d look at it … for cash, probably not :wink:

Battle passes generally reward premium currency, which is why they can’t be purchased with premium currency, among other reasons.

For comparison, Fortnite’s battle pass is about $10 and a season lasts 10 weeks. That works out to $4 a month. The BP is actually a phenomenal value if you actually play FN. However, I would never expect any premium offer in Gems to be a good value. The Ring of Wonder is a great example of something that could be a huge revenue source for I+2 but instead is priced far too high for the average player. If it were $10 a month or maybe even $15, I would consider subscribing indefinitely to the ROW, but here we are.

I’ve played Paladins (Hi-Rez Studios) and their battle pass can be bought with premium currency and rewards premium currency. They even modified it somewhat recently to reward up to the full value of the battle pass just by playing through it.

Blind Guardian looks very strong to me. Drain + explode 10 gems? I realize it only works if there’s a viable target for it but if there isn’t a target then they don’t have any mana and you’re good then. And purple storm + purple link is excellent, having a storm on an exploder is very useful.

Basilisk
Snakes… Why did it have to be snakes?

Troop Type: Monster, Beast
Troop Role: Assassin

Serpent Song
Deal [Magic + 2] true damage to an Enemy. If the Enemy is Poisoned, deal double damage. Then deal [Magic + 2] true damage again. If they are Stunned, deal double damage.

Mana Color: Blue, Brown
Mana Cost: 16

Trait #1: Tough Scales
Reduce damage from Skulls by 30%.

Trait #2: Venomous
Poison enemies when doing Skull damage.

Trait #3: Petrification
Stun a random Enemy when matching Brown Gem.

That could be fun. That’s almost mythic worthy, though somehow a legend.

Not a fan of it being :

1. the 3rd brown stun 3rd trait troop (Emperor Khorvash, Obsidius)
  2. … Being the exact same colors as Emperor Khorvash

But, I like it. Bring it on! I like it more than the new mythic coming out lol.

5 Likes

I like the F2P Battle Pass concept, because it includes that only cosmetic items are sold. Some games let you buy some extra resources, but they’re not advertised that much.

The problem in GoW will be that they will just throw you one more “GIVE US YOUR MONEY”-window at the player. I do not believe the developer/publisher understand the reason why Battle Passes are so successful.

2 Likes

that’s kinda cool.

9 Likes

3 room new faction?
giphy - 2020-04-28T205101.155

1 Like

At this point, I’m assuming left to right is the pathing for FellRoost, though left to the top of the mountain also seems viable. Both are 4 room paths (the one without the fire is room 1).

Depth of Sins looks to be 3 rooms though, so you can keep your gif :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This isn’t the first time this has been done (see Suna vs Queen Titania), where the Mythic gets an effect on matching a color. I left myself some wiggle room because I think the theory is (and I may be misunderstanding how statuses are inflicted) that if you build the team to loop around that color, you have a higher chance of triggering the trait multiple times in one move. I suspect that this actually doesn’t come into play and, as you said, it’s generally worse than the version that triggers on 4/5 matches, but I just don’t know enough to say.

I think Zilopochtli badly needs the old version of the trait, targeting the first troop with the trait, which gave it something of an identity (it would get kills faster than Umenath vs non-scaling content). It could even do less damage than Taloca’s, the damage being focused is the key.

I agree with the idea that there are Mythic families, but I wouldn’t put Zilopochtli with Shade of Zorn because Zilo has a chance at an extra turn on kills. I agree that Zilo and Umenath are both Zuul variants, but Umenath is a pretty good troop that does not have to be on the front line to be effective. Wulfgarok also isn’t in their group - he’s with Ubastet and Scorpius due to being instakill-centric.

Honestly, since I started playing in December 2014, this Update 4.9 was the one that disappointed me the most. I expected some change in the game that would serve as a sparking inspiration to fight more, but what I saw was just a Store Update. Meanwhile, Arena and Treasure Hunt (not to mention other details) remain in the background.
Call of Duty Mobile (a game of a different style, which everyone obviously knows, and which I also play) won an Update with new soldiers, new weapons, new battlefields, various customizations in weapons and vehicles and rework on daily missions, weekly, monthly and seasonal, whether solo or as a team.
I expected to spend more time on Gems than on CoD, but obviously, the opposite will happen.
After seeing this Update 4.9, all the hopes I had for 5.0 are gone. I hope (hopelessly) that the next Update will surprise me.

1 Like

I think 5.0 is where any of the big changes would have happened. 4.9 wasn’t exciting, but I wasn’t expecting them to do too much with it.

1 Like

I fully agree with you.
For me, Gems could work with system of seasons (monthly) and battle passes with skins (for the troops, for the hero and for the game interface) and resources in the daily logins.
I’ve seen the hero in the same armor for 5 years and even if I switch to the other skins, it’s still quite repetitive. We could have other skins and also other facial expressions to use in hero. The game is focused on the hero, so why not more options to customize it?
Troops could also have more art versions (without changing the troop’s status, just the look) and the interface, let’s say I like the current one as much as I liked the classic, but sometimes I wanted to be able to use the classic instead of the recent one.

It would be great if we had all these options to customize our own game.

In addition, we could have event schedules announced in advance and well designed.
I have several friends who abandoned Gems and play CoD (or PUBG) due to the delay in new Gems. At the moment I play CoD and Gems, but Gems started to have less of my time for not presenting news and having Updates that do not bring attractions that convince us to play more.

For me and many friends who play, the word to define Update 4.9 is clearly disappointing.

1 Like

I appreciated this discussion. I would tend to side with Idle here, as I don’t think targeted mana drain+explosions is quite good enough for a mana generator these days.

Magic link is nice, but this is a troop with no access to fast start (as a monster/mystic) that you have to get 11 mana for, assuming you’re running Medal of Anu. That’s just too slow, for non-scaling content. And without any baseline spell effects, Blind Guardian is a wasted slot whenever the enemy is low on mana. That’s too much work for a troop that’s supposed to be supporting your stronger options, especially compared to comparable “good” exploding troops (e.g., Azura, Harpy Mage, Stringfiddler, etc.).

Empowered or 75% mana start traits would change its outlook for sure. A 50% start even might do the trick.

poor night to have a spoiler update but:

The Lord of Slaughter
The Gnoll is greater than the sum on it’s parts.

Arcane: Blood & Beast
Base Rarity: Mythic
Troop Type: Wargare, Construct
Troop Role: Warmaster

Flail of Doom
Create 6 Brown Gems. Then convert all Brown Gems to Doomskulls. Then inflict 1-2 Bleeds and 1-2 Death Marks on random Enemies. [0.01]

Mana Color: Blue, Green, Red
Mana Cost: 24

Trait #1: Armored
Reduce damage from Skulls by 25%.

Trait #2: Song of Doom
Summon a Doomstorm at the start of Battle.

Trait #3: Savage Strike
100% chance to ignore Armor with Skull damage.

That’s actually very interesting. Its like Sheggra, only a Mythic and makes Doomskulls over regular skulls. I think this is the first “Warmaster” “Mythic” I don’t dislike as a troop type.

That 3rd trait is nasty as heck. Conceptually, I like it.

Only downside for me so far: Troop Type: Wargare, Construct

No half-mana start. This another troop I’d rather see at 22 mana or so. If it’s going to be a Construct troop, I’d really like it to have Stoneskin. It would actually make for a semi-viable front line troop. With only Armored… eh.

Edit 1: If its a Mythic, shouldn’t it be slightly more stronger than its base version… like maybe Create 8 brown gems? Kinda like how Grey King and Umenath does more than their original?

6 Likes

Ugh. Hate to be the grammar police. But. Ugh.

Also, I assume Yeenoghu was copyrighted? Cuz it’s a total rip-off.

Also, since its not immune to stun; the third trait (awesome, on its face) will be somewhat mitigated.

1 Like