Slow loading screen

You say that you can’t fix the problem without reproducing it, which makes sense. But can you at least change it back so that it doesn’t automatically select the last team that you used (i.e. the way it was before the update)? At least then we were able to avoid this very frustrating problem where as now the only way not to experience it is to never change your team… ever.

1 Like

The reasons for that change are still present - it was a problem that people couldn’t see their team before confirming a battle.

Do the devs ever play this game at home like normal people? Or are they only playing on the xbox live special developer network with development xboxes.

What do you mean? Of course people could see their teams before a battle. You had to select a team or you couldn’t even start the match, and when you selected a team it would show the troops in it. There was no way to avoid seeing your team before a battle.

The good thing about the old way was that those of us with the team-changing-game-hang could exit the pvp setup screen, then re-enter to avoid the game hang. The way it is now, we have no choice but to endure the game hang every time we want to switch teams.

1 Like

Hey folks - new line of inquiry:

Do people seeing this problem use an external hard drive? I’ve seen at least one person say so…

Please respond if:

1 - You DO NOT use an external drive and DO see this problem.
2 - You DO see this problem, and DO use an external drive.

since you can now nametag teams i dont see how that reason can still stand :slight_smile: anyway ill try to record a new vid isolating when it starts. p.s. im on ps4 so no external drive here.

If you’re seeing this issue on PS4, please let us know if you’re using the console’s default hard drive, or if you’ve replaced it with a third-party hard drive.

I’m seeing it on Xbox and I do not have an external hard drive

Seeing the problem and using an external hard drive on XB1

This is my situation.

Xbox one + external hdd

When I just started the game the “lag” is only some seconds, but after 1-2 hours it takes 2-3 minutes to change the team. Only solution at the moment is to close the game and restart it when I play longer…

A new video won’t help - we’ve seen it plenty. What we need to identify is why SOME machines have the problem, and others don’t. We need to isolate what the commonality is between those affected.

Xbox one, internal HDD, I have the problem.

The music stops and the background animation of the team picture freezes too.

ps4 - no external HDD, have it every session.

It is “2 - You DO see this problem, and DO use an external drive”… except that it’s not the same for all users in my case.

On my Xbox One, there are two different GoW account profiles on the same console. We have an external drive which was attached to the console only recently.

MY account is Canadian and over Level 100, my profile itself was originally created in French on the 360, and it definitely started displaying the slow maddening team-switching issue long before we ever used the external drive.

The OTHER Gems account is Level 66 and the profile was first physically created as a Microsoft Windows Live account years ago while in the U.S., and it has never experienced the slowness bug at all, even though the user profile is currently connected to and saved on the external.

Maybe the issue is connected to the size of the user’s console profile? How much of the GoW gamedata is saved directly to a user’s gamertag on the XB1, rather than to the discrete 0.5 kb game file in the directory? I remember getting several messages like this:
Error saving user: 1 internal error, JX2VHbH7BURE”.

If you look at this XB1 photo below dating from January 16th, which is approx. one month after the slow-team-load problem started for me, you will see that both profiles were being saved at that time to the Internal HDD.

The thing that bothers me about that photo is that it’s clearly showing the GoW game installation size was 1.9 GB when in fact I believe it should have been 1.7 GB at that time. When I reinstalled the v1.07 game, it decreased in size. (Now of course the latest update size is 2.1 GB to cut down on initial preloading time, and my Gems Saved Data has grown to 0.6 kb instead of the 0.3 or 0.5 kb it was previously, on the XB1).

Fascinating - so you’re saying that ON THE SAME MACHINE, one profile sees this lag and the other does not?

We have an engineer here at Pipeworks (not on the GoW team) who started playing at home, and saw the lag. He signed into his account through a different machine, and the lag went away. That made us suspect that it was MACHINE specific, not ACCOUNT specific.

But your data point suggests the opposite - even though at that moment there is NO network call - so there shouldn’t be any connection to any account data - only your local data.

Hmmm…

Yes the US account doesn’t see the lag issue and never has.

I didn’t understand the bit about the network call. What happens if I delete my Saved Data for Theicla? Not that I’m willing to actually delete my local data, of course… //shudder//

I have 2 ps4 machines, 1 with the original hard drive, and 1 with an internal hybrid drive and I noticed the issue on both machines.

Both of these though were also using the same account. I can try to create a new account and see if the problem persists from a new clean game.

You probably won’t see the issue, Shira, without a huge investment in gametime. I tried creating new Gems accounts on other friend’s consoles in Feb or March and never saw the lag develop.

@Mr.Strange How long ago did the engineer create his account at home where he saw the issue? Was it pre-1.07 or post-1.07? Because if it’s still happening with v1.08, I guess we are soooo toast.

He just started playing a couple weeks back. He has only three banners.