Slow loading screen

Hm. Your internet connection seems more than sufficient – for reference, streaming Netflix at 1080p only requires 5MB down and Gems of War uses FAR less data than an HD movie – so I doubt it’s that, but there is the possibility that at least some of the issues you’re seeing are related to Xbox Live. Microsoft’s online service has been spotty since Christmas 2015, and if Gems is unable to reach Xbox Live it can cause all kinds of problems within the game.

That said, we aren’t yet ready to pin the blame on Xbox Live. It might be exacerbating the problems you’re seeing, but there’s also something else going on here that we need to look into.

I’ve seen the delay increase in length the more matches I’ve played. This is not a theory. I’ve sent a video of the delay to customer support and have offered to send in videos of the delay at longer lengths that the one I sent but the agent never requested more evidence. So it is not anecdotal either and I can easily prove it exists in the way I describe.

@Nex Yup, it could be Xbox Live. That’s why I mentioned them because it could be from them for XB1 users just like it can be Sony’s fault for PS users when it comes to connectivity issues. For some reason, XB1 has been spotty. None of them have lasted for hours on end like last month on Monday 21st.

One side note, I have found it amusing when playing Arena, I would receive a message that no Arena matches could be found. Has happened with PVP as well. Takes a few clicks to start the battle for it to find one and proceed normally.

I’ve also noticed something else lately in Arena, the same enemy team I battled against came back for a rematch? What’s up with that? lol

Are these two instances related to server problems? Was this intended or is it a hiccup of some sort? :confounded:

You’re right. It is not a theory that you’re having this problem. We believe you. It is, however, a theory that ALL players who play for extended periods of time and change teams often are having the same issue. That’s just not true. Your experiences only reflect your experiences, not everyone else’s and assuming your problems are universal runs the risk of confusing other players who aren’t seeing the same thing.

Did you people on x-box format your router for x-box use? This is an option to prevent data funneling. If you have no idea how to do this then do not try and then notify your internet provider that use an x-box and want the internet on the x-box to run smoother.

That’s normal behavior. It’s unlikely that you’ll get the same opponent twice in a row, but not impossible. You just got lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you felt about that match).

That could be connectivity issues, yes. If the game is unable to communicate with the servers, it won’t be able to find an Arena opponent.

hmm, I would be extremely lucky/ unlucky to have the enemy return in the next match. Usually one match apart or several, not back-to-back. Its amusing to witness nonetheless.

That makes sense. Seen it with PVP as well. Its nice to see those kinds of in-game popups when it happens instead of Error Code #######. So thanks for making that possible.

1 Like

Problem with this is that while it makes the internet work better on your Xbox One, it makes it worse on every other device. If you really want to improve your router for gaming, the only fool-proof way is shelling out the cash for something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833967011&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWless-CoOp&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWless-CoOP-_-Networking-_-ASRock-_-G10

I can not deny what you have said. Also i think there was something like this would be better but idk.

Can’t replicate, You’ve got to be kidding 2x!!!

Once in a while it works (20% of the time) the other 80% it takes minutes. I can usually go to the bathroom, get a glass of water, check my phone for texts, check the forums on my tablet, then select my team. Sometime I think its better not to switch and use an subpar slow team because I can finish the match faster than selecting my tem.

I will increase my Xbox “record that” to 5 minutes and give you a capture.

I can submit a ticket for this as well, but I wanted to post an example short video here so we can all confirm we’re talking about the same thing. I also have this reported under Team Selection in this thread (which was submitted as a ticket to 505 support already).

Team Selection hanging
EDIT: Notice the “sparkly relic” effect on the highlighted team is entirely absent for the length of the hang - thats the visual cue. The game will not respond to any input from the controller during this time. However, the player can press the Xbox/Dashboard button and use the console as normal during this timeframe - just the game itself is unresponsive.

The bug occurs during Team Selection when backing out from the current team. There is a hang that you must wait through until the list of teams is loaded that you can select. The same scenario is experienced whether you’re in the Troop List screen swapping between teams or at any pre-battle screen when swapping between teams.

This hang gets progressively longer with lengthier play sessions. I am unsure if the length of the hang scales with number of battles, pvp, raw time, etc… Last night I played for a little over an hour and the hang started around ~15s (video above - was captured near the start of my hour-ish session) and was over ~40s by the time I exited the game and turned my XB1 off for the night (sorry, I forgot to record a second video). During longer play sessions (for me, thats on the weekends), the hang can grow to be over ~1m and, if I’m not mistaken, I’ve timed it at over 2m before.

The bug did exist prior to this patch. The difference is that in our current patch, there is a default team selected for us. In the previous patch we were defaulted to the Team Selection (all teams already displayed) and we were forced to pick one. The hang would only occur if we selected a team, realized we wanted to select a different team, and pressed “A” (XB1) to return to Team Selection. That implementation allowed us to avoid the hang and, for some players, they may have never realized it existed because it could be avoided entirely pre-patch.

If I could take a guess, many players may never have realized this was an issue in the previous patch because there is no visual indicator on the screen that the “A” button will do anything. It’s natural to use the “B” button to cancel or go backwards in a menu system when using the controller. Since we were always forced into selecting a team (there was no default team pre-patch), we were always able to return to where we were if we had only been using the “B” button.

In the current patch, since we’re defaulted to a team, players were forced to try another button to get to Team Selection or else they’d never be able to select a different team. This is probably why there is more chatter about it now than there was prior.

Examples:

• During the previous patch, on the Troop List screen, the player could select a team, modify stuff and then use the B button (XB1) to go back to the world map and then go back into the Troop List. If the player were to have pressed the A button in the same scenario, the hang would occur.

• During the previous patch, on the Team Selction screen prior to any battle, the player had to select a team. If the player realized they needed a different team, they could’ve pressed B to go back to their previous screen (PVP search if you were in PVP, challenge selection if doing challenges, etc…) or A could be pressed with the team name highlighted to go back to the Team Selection. Pressing A would make the game hang.

Well I’ve been mostly reading reports from XB1 users. Just wanted to add that I am on PS4 and while the loading up issues don’t concern me (in fact if I close the game and fire it up later without turning off my PS4 the game loads up within a few seconds), I just wanted to report that the team changing lag also affects me. It’s never been in the 3 minutes range, mind you, the longest so far has been somewhere around 30-40 seconds.

Still, if I can somehow help in locating/fixing the problem, just let me know what you need (internet speed, pings, cable or wireless, video/pictures of the moment of lagging, you name it). I am working in technical customer service myself, so I am very much interested in a mutual brainstorming.

1 Like

I play on Xbox One and the only thing I’ve found to help with team switching lag is to hit the Home button on the controller, then wait a few seconds then you should see it change in the game window. I’ve also been experiencing lag in arena when you finish your wins/loses. The reward screen takes forever to pop up sometimes. The same fix applies.

That’s a good idea with the Home button. Playstation controllers use their PS button, I will try that tonight and will post back here if it works or not.

2 Likes

Hello folks - sorry I’ve been away.

We’re still tracking this issue down - and it’s still not appear for us at all. So I’m turning here for a bit more info/clarity.

When you say that the delay increases as you play more games - how many games are we talking about? Are you playing 20 matches and then noticing the delay? Does it happen after just 2? Our understanding is that there is no delay initially - is that everyone’s experience?

And once you have a delay, can you make it happen over and over, even without playing a match? Is the delay consistent between PvP, Challenges, Quests, etc? Do you see it more or less in a specific game mode?

Could the delay be related to certain problematic troops / hero weapons? Do you see this same delay with all of your teams? If you’re experiencing the delay, maybe try using a team of totally different troops, and see if the delay persists?

We 100% believe this is a big issue, and any help y’all can give us in tracking it down would be very much appreciated.

I posted a “fix” for me above. It helps move it along a lot faster. It seems to be a loading problem causing the “lag.” When I hit the home button on console then wait a few seconds, it loads then I can go back in the game with it loaded. The home screen on Xbox one keeps the game up on the main screen.

It really varies. As I mentioned earlier, I flushed my teams in the wake of the new version. I figured the data strings involved could be mixed up or broken or whatever causes the delay to occur between the console and server. No different than cleaning my browser on a daily basis, or my own PC to keep it at optimal performance.

Quite possible that the delay could be based on how many teams one has lined up as well. I have not filled all of mine out.

Because we have been trying to replicate it with no success, I think the most likely culprit is some specific troop, or banner, or something of that nature.

I have the same problem any time I want to change my team before a battle it takes about 45 seconds before the game becomes responsive. Also happens before the rewards screen appears after completing the arena. The changing team screen did the same thing before the update also

hmm, I have only ten teams filled. Half of them are only temporary filled just to accomplish Tasks requiring a team’s banner to be used. The other half are currently permanent since I used them regularly. The rest are absolutely empty using the default Broken Spire banner.

I just did a simple test counting how many seconds it takes to switch banners. It highlighted right away after I closed the opened Team per battle. Then after pausing for 10 seconds, I opened another and closed it after 2 seconds. Each time I did this, it took roughly 18-19 seconds to highlight the closed team so I can select another.

Seems normal at that rate. After a while of playing the game, perhaps two hours or so later, and after many battles waged, the duration to switch after closing a Team window before any battle increases in length. But none of them to date lasted three minutes as some have reported.