Sharptooth not working properly

Please check the known issues list before posting a bug.

Note: If you are uncomfortable reporting your bug publicly you can privately message @Cyrup or @Kafka with the completed bug template.

Platform, device version and operating system:
Windows 8, PC

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
Sharptooth is listed as having a 30% chance for an extra turn and a separate 30% chance to get it’s mana back. In sixteen uses during the tower event it gave one extra turn and one recharge of mana. Quick math says that is a 6% activation rate, far short of the 30% listed for the character.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
It’s happened once so far, but when combined witht all the other bugs that you are failing to address it’s getting a little frustrating.

Steps to make it happen again
Play the game

10 more times used, 1 extra turn and tow energy recharges, falling further below the 30%.

Keep counting until you have a few thousand samples.

For reference: flip a coin 10 times. Declare the coin broken if you don’t get exactly 5 heads and 5 tails. Now flip 9 other coins 10 times. Count the broken coins. Now add up all 100 throws and see if that is closer than the average individual coin.

Probability doesn’t work like our brains.

3 Likes

The game has a broken random number generator. It averages out over time, but the distribution is definitely wrong. It’s like flipping five heads, then five tails in a row and saying it’s still random because it averages out.

Hey there @aartemis, thanks for your report! :slight_smile:

The team have checked this in the code and everything is set correctly to 30%. I’m sorry, I’m not sure what else to tell you here, you won’t accept my answer of “chance” so I’ll just leave it at that.

I won’t accept chance because it’s the lazy answer. There are so many problems related to the percentages in this game. I see there is no problem getting cosmetic bugs fixed, but gameplay issues are always ascribed to chance.

What is more likely, the 5 and 5, or 10 of the same in a row. Yes, it won’t always be exact and I’m not claiming it will, but there are so many examples across this game of very unlikely percentages to simply be written of as chance or bad lick as so many of these gameplay issues have been.

I’ve had prob about a 60% and 40% result if I had to estimate
Nerf!!! :wink:

To get 10 of the same in a row you have to make 100 throws. You made 26 throws to test a 30% chance. The “expected” value is 3. The most probable wrong results are, in order: (2 or 4) and (1 or 5). You got 1, which is one of the most likely “wrong” results.

It’s more you threw the coins 3 trials of 10 each and are upset you got 7 heads twice and one set of 5 heads. Now you’re declaring the coins are broken and the remaining 7 trials will all be 7H3T. Ridiculous. Over 30 throws it’s not uncommon to have 19 heads. The further you get from the average, the less likely the result, and being 4 off isn’t that much. If you’d done 10,000 throws and had 9,996 heads, that’d be brushed off.

The point was “you haven’t collected nearly enough data to be outside of probability” yet. It’s almost always true that 30 data points don’t match the “expected” pattern. Somewhere between 3,000 and 30,000 it tends to converge.

Also, again: probability doesn’t work the way our brains do. Remember it was once “common sense” that the Earth was flat and smoking cigarettes was healthy.

I played the game to reproduce it and after seeing him kill 3 towers in 1 turn all by himself (on lower lvls when could still 1shot a full tower with the skill) am pretty sure it work well.

You just got some bad luck for a while and that is.

Ps: got aswell both effects work at same time several times

1 Like