Please can we put an end to all these 'flagging battles?'

I’m not offended, not really, I mentioned it as a part of an old joke with my avatar and the whole skelletons = no brain thing. It’s just me being silly.

But well, what I meant was that while the contents of your message might not be wrong you could certainly phrase it better. Consider a different approach that could reach the others in a better way and keep the discussion civil. Just like I also said that not all complaints are necessarily something that will lead to a better game enviroment.

Maybe we really don’t need to nerf Life and Death, but if you expect to convince them with a proper argument it’s on you the burden of trying to do it in a better way.

You’re right, I wouldn’t see eye to eye there. I (personally) don’t try to self-insert into a person’s blanket statement and change it to be a target about me. Can his statement be said in a cleaner and nicer way? sure. Do I get what he’s trying to say though? yes.

His actual valid suggestions were completely ignored.

and people went straight into attack mode. More for the guy above you, but you also decided to call him Mr. Trump there as if that was necessary.

I’m not defending him as a “friend”

1. I don’t know Earnham.
  2. I’m in a guild that is completely against his.
  3. I also think he put way more time into his comments than he needed to, to his detriment. Would have been off making a 2 liner statement.

Wrapping this back to flags, being so aggressive with flags to every little thing that is disagreed with is more harmful than good. Its a slippery slope that just leads to more problems.

Unfortunately, being a jerk to jerk behavior doesn’t make someone a better person for it. You may complain about someone trying to shut you up, but in the process you’re trying to get them to shut up about their view points on a topic.

You want to start flagging things? flag that.

Don’t Be a Jerk

Trolling or Combative Behaviour – This also covers responding to such attacks in a similar manner.
Upsetting and/or provoking other forum members.

The PG-13 Line

Am I trying to goad someone into an argument? If so, maybe don’t.

Funny enough, off-topic is actually not part of the community guidelines.

https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/community-guidelines/23732

Don’t ask me why.

But if you want to flag Off-Topic, flag this post of yours for not being on-topic about nerfing Life and Death and flag a good portion of those other posts for not being about nerf Life and Death.

Aren’t flags and censorship fun? No? Don’t start problems about every little thing.

Heck, that’s the whole purpose of this original topic:

Please can we put an end to all these ‘flagging battles?’

9 Likes

I muted this thread after this post by you. I found it again today. I don’t know if what I am about to say will be considered off-topic, a personal attack against you, a poor attempt at a joke, or just “jerk behavior”.

Do you ever go back and reread the posts you make? How often do you end a post with “that’s just typical behavior by ‘x’?” I’m sorry, do I put a period and a question mark, or just the question mark? I know @Earnham and @TheIdleOne by reputation only, but I do not believe either to be jerks. You on the other hand…

I’ve seen you go after devs in a charity thread, and also when a difference in meaning for “cheques being cashed” occurred. I suppose you eventually apologized. It felt to me as polished and sincere as many of these bugged releases you are quick to condemn, but as long as the offended parties forgave you, no harm no foul.

I’ve seen you defend the devs during the December holiday period when they had limited office hours, and then attack forum posters who defended the devs when they had to work while sheltered in place. I don’t recall reading anything that warranted this response by you:

Again, another thread muted at that point that I went back to reread. It’s not that I’m easily offended. Maybe I am too easily offended. It’s that I don’t see you as the victim. I see you as someone who doesn’t take the time to read the posts of these people you claim harass you. I see you as someone who has no empathy, and doesn’t take the time to see an argument from another person’s point of view, perhaps because you believe you are always right.

The written word is harder to interpret peoples intent than face-to-face interaction. Even then, I have difficulty doing so. I just know that when @Earnham shared some advice on the L&D thread, I liked the post. Your posts could use some polishing. But I wouldn’t flag them.

Good luck to you. May you find happiness, if not in this game, than perhaps in your other pursuits.

Goodbye.

As your friend, @ChunkyMono, I beseech you: save your ire for the elves. The Horseman might not be as perfect as we orcs, but I do not believe him to be tricksy or false. Maybe he uses blue mana sometimes—fault him for this, yes—but in my estimation he is not altogether an enemy of the Horde.

His heart is worn on his sleeve and so fluctuates more often than those we are used to seeing pulled out of our foes’ chests. Especially before he drinks this elixir I have heard fancier folk than I call “coffee” (BLOOD AND WINE AND BLOODWINE ONLY FOR US, RIGHT? :muscle: ) But this sincerity is to be valued — Krystara needs Horseman as it needs Orcs.

Forgive my impertinence in offering you stratagems unasked for, Warmaster, but for the good of our future skirmishes fought on the fields of battle, I thought it best to offer my thoughts. We orcs get no respect—our ideas are tossed aside as if our addled, concussed, and smaller-than-average brains produce notions less valuable than those made by others’.

But if we continue to represent our race with Honor and forgive those races less sterling, we will be better orcs for it.

For the HORDE

3 Likes

Many of your accusations are based upon mischaracterizations. I am not going to spend several hours of my day reconstructing my headstate from weeks ago to explain myself because I don’t really owe anyone an explanation. There’s not a way to distill the thought I’m thinking into a sentence, but a good start is, “It’s possible two different threads have different contexts, and whether I support or condemn something is a function of context.”

I think it was a foolish choice to post what you did in this thread, as “I want to have a stern discussion about what I don’t like about Slypenslyde” is clearly off-topic here and I’m tempted to flag it just to be cheeky. It would’ve been more appropriate in its own thread, but I’m pretty sure a dogpile thread “Let’s discuss what we don’t like about this named individual” would be bound for moderation too.

The only good that came of it is that post by Magnusimus. I don’t know if that’s an edited copypasta or what, but I got a chuckle. As I believe he intends to point out, it’s often easy to determine by my posts if I’m calm and collected at the time I check the forums.

1 Like

Just a request that this thread can be closed if it continues further on its current trajectory @Lyya @Kafka @Saltypatra

I think it has run its course now, have noticed a major decrease in the ‘flagging battles’/petty arguments since its creation for most :smile:

I am sorry.

That post was more about me, and my difficulties interpretting peoples intentions. I have problems (more than a few). It was unfair for me to bring up posts that are a month old, or longer.

The thread is about Flagging Battles, and I failed at making my point, which was that although I disagree with what you say at times, I would not flag you.

I have difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time. I have difficulty chewing gum, period. I’ll bite my tongue, my inner cheek, a tooth. Once I even bit my nose.

If I had created a seperate thread, I would not have titled it:

I would have called it “Empathy”. I suck at it. I was angry. I am angry at myself, and at the way I interpret things. That’s on me, and not your fault.

I apologize. I came here to play gems, and chew bubblegum. And I’m all out of bubblegum, for reasons which should be obvious now. I’ll shut up now and play the game.

5 Likes

Looks like the excessive and unnecessary flagging is still happening. It’s funny that someone blamed me for it which resulted in my status being downgraded, but it’s still happening.

I cant figure out why this was flagged.

Or why this one was flagged more than 24 hours after it was posted and over with.

https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/theres-something-needs-to-be-changed-in-guild-wars-brackets/63276/48?u=sassy

Both posts are within the guidelines but still they get flagged. When will @Saltypatra or @Kafka actually take action about this? Or will this be allowed to continue as is?

In your first example, most people are posting screenshots of their accomplishments, downfalls, or other things they consider cool.

The guy came in and said there are no cool screenshots, basically putting down anyone participating in that topic. Not cool.

Purposefully derailing threads.

In your second example, you were clearly being a jerk to AW Ryan and calling anyone that may support AW Ryan a troll and a cult member.

Upsetting and/or provoking other forum members.

You’d probably get flagged less by other people if you just relaxed a little bit.

4 Likes

Yeah whatever. Sorry I even brought it up. Nothing here will change. You quote the guidelines “dont be a jerk” which is open to interpretation isnt it? By telling me to “relax a little” couldnt I interpret that as you being a jerk? It’s a slippery slope to leave “rules” open to so much interpretation. But it is also a c.y.a. move by the devs that allows them to enforce the “rules” fluidly.

But no matter, I have told my guild that I am leaving at the end of the week. I’m done with this game and this community so what do I care? Have a nice life.

3 Likes