Official Speed-Running Community Thread

I’m good with all these suggestions!

I can definitely add an Explore category and ruleset and post it for you guys to review.

I can also collapse the Swaps/No Swaps categories, as I agree that ultimately it’s about doing it as quickly as possible.

As for the notion that time stops when you’re changing teams, unfortunately it would not. The timer starts when you hit “To Battle!” on your first fight, and doesn’t end until you the last enemy in the last fight dies.

So all the time taken to swap teams would be counted in the current ruleset. It would be hard to manage start/stop of time in the middle of a run like that so I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Updated to OP, changes are:

• Collapsed the Swap/No Swap categories into one
  • Added the D12 Explore Speed Run category and ruleset

Now here’s a question…do we allow copy/paste of teams for swapping, or should everyone be forced to make the teams in game only?

Admittedly I think that in-game creation is the most pure, but almost makes the idea of swapping teams not feasible. Curious what you guys think.

1 Like

Here for this content and wholesome competition.

Would we perhaps… Like some codes for record holders?

7 Likes

Love love the idea of actual rewards for record holders!

For any new category I imagine we’d want to hold off on rewards until there are at least 5 valid entries submit since the record will change hands very rapidly (like the new Explore one).

But for any mature category I think a real life reward would be incredible!

If I get a vote, I’d say a one-time use code that’s a little spicier than usual?

Also, if you’d want me to manage the distribution of the codes I’d be more than happy to, or if you’d just want a ping whenever a record was set I could do that too.

Thanks so much for the support!

1 Like

I haven’t tried the clock system yet, I had assumed there was some means to easily stop the clock between stages (the segments referred to in the OP).

Obviously copying in teams should be allowed; it’s a part of the game, after all, and otherwise runs with team switching would not be in any way feasible.

1 Like

Someone pointed out that Speedrun.com has been updated! Not sure who the person moderating it currently is, and the category rules aren’t well-formatted, but ideally that would be a good place to compile records.

It’s me. ^^ Feel free to tell what can be improved.

1 Like

Here’s a couple Explore 12 runs to get us started. (both from my imaginary no mythics category, mouse only because reasons)

1 Like

Hey! Sorry if I seemed a little hostile, I didn’t know if you were inactive or something.

I’d like to see this section replaced with the detailed numbered rules KeyLime created and placed in the original post. Currently the rules are just a single sentence.

Any objections to moving the leaderboard over officially to SpeedRun.com?

We can use this thread to discuss rules and post progress/strategy, but the leaderboard can be hosted on speedrun.com.

Assuming we agree, I’ll remove my leaderboard sheet and provide details on how to submit there.

2 Likes

I’m fine with whatever people decide.

I do wonder if we need a separate explore category for mythics, because as much as i like experimenting with other teams, like Rowanne and Tesla, I can easily post a Scorpius time neither of those teams can ever get close to. I’ve had battles last as little as 17 seconds with Scorpius and while stringing 6 of those together is incredibly unlikely, you only need 1 or 2 in your run to make it impossible for “normal” teams to beat.

In full agreement to moving to Speedrun.com. If anything, it’s easier for people to find than some random spreadsheet.

1 Like

Some Scorpius fun, as mentioned above :smiley:

1 Like

Instead of creating too much categories, maybe I can add a “team” filter (with Scorpius, Rowanne, Tesla, …), so that we can keep all PBs together.

1 Like

Sounds like a much better idea, otherwise we’d end up with 8 categories, each with exactly 1 person competing in it :smiley:

I tried something, so your 3 different teams are shown on the leaderboards.

1 Like

Now we just need people to crush those times, otherwise i only look sad :nerd_face:

Site should record leaders for treasure hunt, tod, etc. As well

i submitted an explore run, check it out! we could use more players contributing so that we can really hone in on the fastest teams!

1 Like

@KartSeven I got around to doing several attempts, and submitted my best run so far.

Scorpius - Mouse - PC - 3:00.05

Third best run submitted so far, best Mouse only run submitted so far.

Have yet to set up my controller and see how things improve with that, or test the current record team with Megavore. Interesting how consistent the run is, did it take a lot of attempts to get that run @HugeOgre?

my fastest non-controller run is actually 2min:17s (Gems of War: Explore D12: Mega Team: 2min17s - YouTube)
Then once i got a controller and started rolling with that… i was certainly surprised to learn that it was NOT easy to get a better time… definitely more than 20+ full attempts and a couple/few hours to find something close. 2min:13s (Gems of War: Explore D12: Mega Team: 2min13s - YouTube)

at this point i assume my 2:17 is the better RNG run but too bad i wasn’t using a controller yet.

@EliteMasterEric come find me on discord and we can discuss more about strategy :wink: