Official Speed-Running Community Thread

As someone who loves watching speedruns, I think it’s time we start to create a speed running community within Gems of War!

Speed Run Leaderboard

Just @ me if you want to submit a time to the official leaderboard!

ALL SPEED RUNS MUST HAVE VIDEO PROOF!

Official Pet Rescue Rules:

1. Time starts when you click “To Battle” on the first fight
  2. Each segment (if you choose the time them) ends on the last enemy dying
  3. Time stops when the last enemy on the last fight dies
  4. You are allowed to swap teams in the middle of the run as much as you’d like, however the clock will continue to run throughout the team-swapping process
  5. All input methods are legitimate as long as they are considered allowable by the Gems of War dev team (Keyboard + Controller)

Official Difficulty 12 Explore Rules:

1. Time starts when you click “To Battle” on your first fight
  2. Each segment (if you choose to time them) ends on the last enemy dying in each fight
  3. Time stops when the last enemy in the Mythic Boss fight dies
  4. You are allowed to swap teams in the middle of the run as much as you’d like, however the clock will continue to run throughout the team-swapping process
  5. All input methods are legitimate as long as they are considered allowable by the Gems of War dev team (Keyboard + Controller)

If anyone else wants to start other speed running categories, just let me know and I’ll add the category to the spreadsheet once firm rules have been established for the run.

MAY THE FASTEST PERSON WIN!

If you’re looking for free speed-running software, you can get LiveSplit here.

10 Likes

Amazing way to see people’s fastest teams. Nice! Lol

2 Likes

It’ll definitely help everyone out, but fortunately for everyone, Pet Rescue’s aren’t in any way competitive between players so seeing the best Pet Rescue team only helps the broader community and doesn’t hurt any guild’s competitive edge in events :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You know just what to say to trigger NOTA for another leaderboard run don’t u :smirk:
Sounds like a fun idea to me . Wish the new timer the devs added to game was visible in our victory screens.

1 Like

Always loved speedrunning. I have timed them as low as under 4 minutes before, so will need to try an official one later. Hard to get a lot of pets to test with though. The only speedrun that is restricted to once per hour at max despite taking 5 or less minutes to complete. XD

2 Likes

Yep.
Fast pet Rescue teams can only be used in pet rescues. Seems legit to me.

Shame, figured you’d be all about it @awryan.

Oh well, feel free to not participate.

2 Likes

Different pet rescues may be easier with different teams…

Like just using Gobchompers + empowered skull converters to get some really quick kills against the goblin layout…

1 Like

@TheIdleOne

Then use that team against that enemy group and beat the record!

If we wanted to split it up by fight-type, we can.

Beat the world record set by jzg last night:

New bar is set at 3:12.69!

7 Likes

Will this do? Not optimised, just leveling classes. :smiley:

4 Likes

The definitely looks like it’ll do!

Can you confirm what you’re using to input spell commands aside from the mouse?

Xbox1 controller on the steam version, left click to select troop, press A on controller to cast.

1 Like

Could you NOT let me have my record FOR ONE DAY!!!

lol, congrats man

2 Likes

Had it for a while, if that helps :smiley:

But i’m sure people can go faster with either luck or luck+sunspear, i only ever recorded 3 runs and 2 of them were around 3 minutes.

1 Like

For sure, I’m just pumped people are participating!

Gives me more motivation to go even faster!!!

add a category for explore D12? keep it simple; any kingdom, 6 fights.

2 Likes

I’d love to add an explore category.

The hard part is going to be how wildly different the kingdoms affect the team comps/times.

Do we account for Urskaya / Scorpius or just accept that it’ll be the primary target run/strat?

1 Like

That’s part of the speed running experience to find the fastest path. I have heard many claims of faster farming than Urska/scorp (not that I agree). Then… If you have enough participants more catagories will naturally form.

1 Like

Firstly, I love the idea of speedrunning. I’m going to attempt some Pet Rescue runs and see how well I can do myself. I might try the teamswap method.

As for the leaderboards, here are some of my questions and suggestions:

• I think we should merge the Swaps category with the main one. If there were a strategy which can clear faster than the posted times, it should be at the top of the leaderboard. If said strategy cannot clear faster than the posted times, there’s no point in swapping. Either way, this category is redundant. If, at a later point, it is determined this category is necessary, it can always be readded.

• Since time stops when the last enemy on the last fight dies, we CAN take as much time as we need between fights to manage our teams, correct? It can be a painstaking process to swap due to the UI nightmare that Pet Rescue team selection is.

• We should establish a new category for Explore. I personally think that we should start with a generic Difficulty 12 category, with similar rules to the existing Pet Rescue with regards to timing, while also allowing team swapping between battles.

• It is already known that Pet Rescue battles are levels 10/20/30/40/50/60/80/100, stat-wise, but in order to be completely optimal, we would need data on the contents of each of the teams used so we can practice, since we can only make one attempt at the record per hour at best. I recall something about there being different sets of teams based on color?

1 Like