Mercy requires a rebalance {Changed my mind}

I’m not even sure how to respond to that, since you obviously have no idea how I play. I have 4 or 5 teams at any given time and I’m shuffling members of those teams all the time. It’s hardly mindless and it’s hardly pushing the same buttons over and over.

Just because the game rewards people for min/maxing doesn’t mean we have to like it. Personally I would love to see more restraint and less whining about overpowered troops.

1 Like

I wasn’t commenting on how you play, but on the kind of play that overpowered options provide. You ignoring those options doesn’t make them not exist, and doesn’t make the game healthy. If you have to ignore the game’s reward structure to have a healthy experience, then you’re not even playing the same game. You’re playing a different game using the same software. It’s the developer’s responsibility to structure rewards so as to avoid encouraging mindless play.

The quality of a system is determined by how it performs in the worst case, not how it performs in the best case. Any system works if the participants want it to, even if they effectively have to ignore the system.

2 Likes

Honestly, what are you talking about?

It’s a freaking game. I’m not ignoring the game’s reward structure at all, other than the fact that you have to play thousands of matches to make it into the top ranks. And quite frankly there’s thousands of us out there that are ignoring that one.

When it comes to how the game system performs in the worst case, then we pretty much saw it with Maw. And yet the game was still not only playable but FUN, at least for most of us.

The Devs are doing a fine job.

1 Like

It’s not mindless just because it’s optimal, there are plenty of times where “firing” Mercy will not result into a optimal board state for the player, also pairing these cases with some troops that are being used on defense, like Spirit Fox that drains mana, removes yellow and deals true damage, you will find some pretty good resistance on the A.I side.
But well, that’s all about “Those who have” versus “Those who have not”, in a match where both players have all troops, maxed kingdoms and stuff sometimes you’ll face a good oposition, when you face someone weaker it’s not your fault that you played more/better to have an advantage.
Mercy doesn’t comes out into a perfect package where she already has Empowered, you need to drop her, farm her traitstones, and STILL, then, you need all the rest of the team to perform in an optimal way.
The team composition is good?
Yes.
It’s perfect?
Not at all.

Do we need to nerf things to setup a fair ground for the other troops?
If yes, then Valor should be nerfed, because he is way better than Wildfang for example. They both are epic troops, have the same colors and their spell’s deal more damage against certain troops, but here is the catch: Wildfang’s spell have a Random Targeting and deals extra damage against centaurs, while Valor can target any troop you want and deals extra damage against Daemons.
[sarcasm] But surely, there are many centaurs right now dominating the meta, unlikely the “few” and weak Daemons. Obvously that’s why Valor is better… That’s why Mercy should also be nerfed, so the only troops with empowered will be the ones that can deny mana and stalls the match…[/sarcasm]

Great your problem is solved then, no nerf needed, just as this thread isn’t.

6 Likes

Everybody is either complaining about mercy being too strong or too weak again but not until after maw comes out. I am just going to sit here with my sun and moon and tell mercy she can not be on my team.

And here I am constantly using Herdmaster with Leader in my 1st slot. By the logic I’m reading, he should be nerfed too.

1 Like

Actually he was. His impervious trait was taken away.

Not on consoles yet~

1 Like

Right, well here’s what you have to look forward to.

The only debuff I worry about is Silence. Even then I can just slot in another cleanser.

Personally, I played this some on mobile before console, and carefully planned ahead for Maw’s release. Same with Mercy’s release. And, it wasn’t because I want easy mode and no challenge; I greatly prefer limited environments (I arena frequently). But, as much as I enjoy arena, it moves the XP bar rather slowly. To get anywhere in this game requires a good guild, and for the most part, those don’t accept extremely low level players. With said guilds raising level requirements, if you don’t leave an avenue to rack up a lot of wins quickly, you’re basically cutting off newer players from the game, which is terrible business.

I love those crazy console mana surges. You don’t even need a good starting board. Thought they were fixing that.

Maw
Infernal King
Mercy
Shegarra

That team is ridiculous. You don’t even need a perfect mercy start board, all you need is one 4 gem yellow match for it to take off unless you are really lacking purple / yellow gems at start. I’ve gotten many first turn kills with it, or at least first turn cripple the opponent. Playing it is believing in it.

A first or second turn Maw is pretty devasting to start with. But Maw spell will fill up infernal king too, which creates a bunch of skulls and red matches that fill up shegarra. Then two thirds of the screen is nothing but skulls.

@Taliaparks

1: You believe you are a better than average player of Gems of War. Perhaps more than that–an excellent player of Gems of War.

Okay, cool. Let’s assume this statement is true. Therefore:

2: Your experience of “easy” and “hard” are not particularly relevant. They are skewed by your superior skills.

1 Like

Your logic is flawed.
An expert can easily distinguish between easy and hard.

And if you actually played this team, you’d know how ridiculous it is.

Maw
Infernal King
Mercy
Shegarra

Yes, this is true. But he’s not saying, “I think the average person would find these matches laughably easy.” He’s saying, “I, personally, find these matches laughably easy.”

I have all of those troops & except for Sheggra, I have them all fully traited. I’ve played with and against them, and yep, it’s a strong team.

For defence; does Jarl/IK/Mercy/Sheggra work better?

Yes sure Maw/IK/Mercy/Sheggra is a powerfull team to play with, no doubts.
Then from my experience, this is how it will go.
Cast Ik, plenty of skulls and reds left, cast Sheggra, too many skulls on the board… game crash.

So, powerfull… yes
Useable… no

It also happens with Maw/BD

Then you replace Maw with something else and you have a decent skull spamming team. One more decent skull spamming team added to the game.

And many times there is no sense in casting Mercy’s spell right off… Biased argument.

Can…

It’s a good team, optimal as far as it can go, but even so there are some counters to it on defense.
But in the bitter end the defenders are mostly always bound to lose, doesn’t matter if it is against Goblins, Maw and friends, Horsemen, Mab and friends, True Damage…

The game needs more optimal combinations, not less, Goblins were ok, beatable but annoying because of the extra turns, then they were nerfed a lot, but still capable to beat some teams.
If Mercy is nerfed the composition will just change until we have another “ZOMG, OP TEAM, MUST NERF, EASY WIN, MUH DEFEATS”

1 Like