It's been fun till now... I tried

So these potion things are like pay to… get better RNG? LOL. Sounds about right.

I downloaded the game again, what the hell have they done to explore? If I didn’t have all of my troops maxed out and I saw this I’d probably cry. Don’t they want newer players to level up things faster to sell more potions? :rofl:

Explore has ranks, people can do lower ranks and as they get stronger choose higher ranks, but the tokens become medals, which can be used to make troops elite, and they also give trophies now in all modes.

How many currencies does this game have now? Gold, gems, delves, energy for delves, energy for the other events, ingots, I mean… damn. I’m lost. I gotta stream this, maybe somebody can come and help me. ttv/lopedo

I’m so confused and uncertain. :cry:

You can’t buy potions with cash, they are available for free with the gems you get from tribute and from adventure board and guild tasks.

Helps to read patch notes.

https://gemsofwar.com/patch-notes/

Everything you could want to know is in them.

1 Like

Of course you can buy potions with cash, albeit indirectly by spending the cash to buy gems to exchange for potions. What most of us can’t buy is the time needed to reach max renown in a 24 hour faction event. Even if I had the time I would be unable to cope with the mind numbing ludicrous grind to do so. I call that tedium or boredom; for you it seems to be enjoyment. I find that concept bizarre. Delves are the biggest problem in the game time wise because most of us are experiencing stalled kingdoms due to unmaxed pets as a result. You’re playing a different game to the vast majority of players and whilst your enthusiasm is refreshing, it is very much in the minority as far as delves are concerned.

4 Likes

Took me 3 hours and 30 minutes to reach max renown last Tuesday.

Skipping to boss after rewards, is how I play.

The more rooms you do, the stronger the rooms get, which causes the grind to feel obscene.

I go through as few rooms as possible to hit the boss. My goal is to finish the delve and get max renown, not spend all day needlessly grinding leaderboards.

So after reading the notes and playing some, I’m pretty much where I was then with one exception. Back then I said the game was heading to the pay to play direction. Now it simply is.

To somebody who hasn’t played in a year or two and came back, I could swear there are about 20 different currencies in the game. Gems, keys, other keys, more keys, ingots, delve…things, the explore things, the other explore things, trait stones, souls, potions… what am I missing here? So here’s the hilarious part. There are more consumable items in the game than there has been a meta for hard to get cards. Yeah. Back when I started it was Kracken, then it was Infernus and Ubastet. So there’s 0 balance.

But wait! You can buy most of those consumables to progress faster! And if you wanna spend thousands of dollars, you can be a max VIP. At which point, heh, the game is more free to play, well, because you spent about 8 THOUSAND dollars on it. But wait, now you need potions. Ruh roh. Pay more, right? Or… wait, the VIP levels give you enough gems, which is a premium currency, to get the potions. 8 thousand dollars later, and the game is free to play from the “rewards”. Fantastic.

And THEN, and then, they wanna nerf the in game rewards, and explore mode. As if sitting there at 4x speed and clicking things for hours on end isn’t mind numbing enough, now they want you to do more of it. And have you seen the 50 dollar offers? One whole troop! I could buy an entire GAME for that, not one card in a grind that goes nowhere, or, best case scenario, the cash shop… again.

So as fun as the core mechanics of a match 3 game are, this game loses them. It is no longer a match 3 game. This game is nothing more than every XP bar ever put into any game in history, but here, you pay to fill it, or it never gets anywhere. And with nothing else to do except fill it… well… people are either gonna pay or quit. And just from reading around here, people are quitting because they don’t want to spend hours in a day doing something already pointless, and then being asked to pay for it.

And if you are a max VIP, and in a top rank guild, you can tell people the game is free to play… not mentioning that the cost of the “free to play” was about 8 THOUSAND dollars.

3 Likes

Exactly. You use your spending power to accelerate the event into a shorter time frame because you are happy to ignore ravens and most rooms to get it over and done with. Most of us don’t have that luxurious bottomless cash flow. To reiterate, you are playing a different game to the majority of us. We need the ravens cos we don’t have the cash needed to play it your way. That’s where significant time increase comes from. You’re buying renown more than most. Simple as.

2 Likes

How can you accurately judge the state of the game if you haven’t actively been playing it?

I only started last year in February, so I can’t compare the current game to how it was 2-3 years ago, but I don’t see how it’s pay to play now. There are aspects of the game I dislike but I never felt the need to spend money to continue playing. At this point, I have a surplus of gold, souls, chaos shards, and gems. I do play a good amount but you can’t expect to progress quickly without playing.

2 Likes

I don’t understand. I have only used gems I get naturally from playing via gnomes, collecting tribute, and doing my daily adventure board. What money have I spent? Cash flow? You are assuming a lot of things, and making judgments based in assumptions. I’m sorry you don’t enjoy the game, or feel that every accomplishment takes too much time, But I haven’t spent a penny on faction events, despite your false and inaccurate assumptions.

A little trick I use, I set a timer every hour that I’m awake. If I’m busy, in a meeting, etc. I simply ignore tribute until I’m free again. Successful gem accumulation comes from managing tribute, it may come as a surprise, but that’s how I save gems up to use on events.

As in the past, he trolls. Doordash has even claimed hourly tribute is pay to win, because you get gems, a for money item in the shop, and so by using gems, even the free gems you receive via multiple ways, he has argued that makes the game pay to win, since he views gems as a form of transactional currency.

He hates the game. He hates the devs. He hates everything associated with Gems of War, so don’t bother trying to associate sense or logic with him. I tried. He will simply drive his points home, regardless if they make sense, until you give up.

1 Like

Rubbish. You troll this and other threads with hubristic self promotion. You openly admit you are high VIP so your financial investment reflects your false representation of yourself. And the rewards that allow you to play. Get real. Next you will be telling me that buying ring of wonder hasn’t accelerated your progress further. You my friend talk pure and utter shite.

2 Likes

Wow, open hostility reveals you are someone to permanently ignore. I’m in a guild with 29 members, a few free to play, that have higher renown than I do. If what you said was true, I would have max renown, since according to you, I simply swipe my credit card, and instantly buy success in Gems of War.

I suggest you watch Tacet on Youtube, he has max renown practically and he hasn’t spent a dime on Gems of War since factions were introduced . He could teach you a thing or two about conserving resources.

@Voq I have read the patch notes and downloaded the game again yesterday and played it. Between those two I pieced together what had happened since I left, which basically sums up to less in game rewards, more time demanded, paying highly encouraged.

@Zeddicus2017 I value my time. My time is money. You set an alarm around the clock to play a free to play game that you spent 8 thousand dollars on and I’M the troll? Me? I USED to like Gems of War, and I certainly like the developers, go read my recently posted thank you in “off topic” for Puzzle Quest on the Switch. What I don’t like is having my intelligence insulted. If this game sold for a flat price of 60 bucks I’d buy it. There are games with twice the mechanics and amount of content that sell for less, and some of them are always online too!

You want to jump in and defend this game if anybody so much as mentions anything negative about it. My logic is echoed by every single post in recent times that has broken down, complained bout, and otherwise stated how displeased the person is with the direction of the game, specifically the time investment required only to be told to pay more. You are so proud of yourself for being in a high level guild on a no PVP, RNG pay to play game. I’m happy for you. I wish that my brain worked like yours, because then I’d just spend 8k and be happy on Gems of War 24/7, with alarms on my phone and all. If only… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

If I had everything and I had nothing to work towards, I’d quit out of boredom. You want an easy, time friendly game? Join a casual guild with low or no requirements…

I try to offer helpful suggestions. You offer nothing but open hostility towards me because you are offended I spent money on something you wouldn’t. That’s fine. I have at least almost 20,000 hours of playtime in GOW. What game have you played for 20,000 hours of your life?

I contribute towards the game to keep new content coming, because I want to have new things to accomplish, new things to look forward to.

You are a person that has zero interest in playing Gems of War, coming here to mock someone that supports a game they actually play all of the time.

It never ceases to amaze me you bring up my vip or money I’ve spent, because without folks like me, the game would be dead.

Enjoy what you enjoy, but don’t put others down for having a good time, because you don’t agree they should be having a good time in a game you abandoned years ago.

2 Likes

Mind sharing what exactly is highly encouraging you to pay? Just curious, I seem to be doing fine without paying, and most of the price tags I’m seeing don’t really encourage me to change that.

2 Likes

This game is an RNG fest regardless if you have things to go for or not. That’s the entire appeal of it. You can work the odds in your favor, but one bad roll and you lost because the enemy kept looping. So by my standard, this game is nice and easy. Difficulty does not come from match 3 RNG games.

You do not offer helpful suggestions. Telling somebody to watch Tacet and set an alarm clock during all waking hour is assuming everybody needs to escape into the game like you very obviously do. And that’s just silly.

You contribute to the game because you like to pay to keep your place in the guild to then tell everybody about it.

I had and would have an interest in playing Gems of War if the people who make would stop demanding that I spend a lot of time AND money on it. I think having a lot of stuff to do is great, but when most of it is tied to an energy system, pay to win potions, pay to advance armor, pay pay pay, no thanks.

What game have I spent 20,000 hours on? Mmm, possibly Dead or Alive. And that resulted in me WINNING, and I kid you not, I can link the Twitch video… it was 8 thousand dollars. So hey, look, I could have been a max VIP just like you! Missed my chance there, for shame, for shame. :frowning:

My intention isn’t to put you down. My intention is to hammer the fact that you spent 8 thousand dollars on a free to play game as obnoxiously as you mention how amazing this game is, and how supportive and top tier guild status you are in nearly every post you make across all threads. :slight_smile:

Energy limits, potions, armor to get XP, gems, which lead to all of the things you can buy with them. I’m sure I’m missing some, but those are more than enough to get me to look the other way because the principle of that system is to extort, and any time investment will lead to more “features” to continue extorting from the player. Nerfing rewards slightly here and there and underhanded tactics like that, all to encourage more spending.

So by this paragraph you are saying my Vip, and my account is carrying 29 other active people to make AW Ryan successful. So all 29 other people have spent 8,o0o dollars on gems of war, because you say it’s so?

I’m done responding to you. I’m obnoxious? Try looking at how you write, what you write, and tell me in what way I’m obnoxious for caring about a game I play versus the guy that continues to waste time putting a game down, and those that support it and play it, despite having quit playing the game years ago.

Ps. I looked up these common annual hobbies, they are very expensive. I don’t go on vacation or go to the super bowl, but it would certainly cost me a lot more if I did…

1 Like