In 3 weeks of GW we've had 3 members quit the game permanently

An interesting thread, good points all around. The biggest head-scratcher for me is how many times people have mentioned stress in this thread. This is a casual game. Just because they introduced a mode that encourages you to play everyday (and be honest, they were doing that before GW), this isn’t suddenly a hard-core gaming experience.

I get that everyone likes to win. I love those 5/0 days in GW. But I’ve got plenty of 4/1s and a couple 3/2s. So I built teams to deal with those pesky defense builds (anti-freeze, anti-devour) and use them when necessary. If my guild wasn’t cool with that I’d find another guild.

4 Likes

But the other members also know about the influence luck has on the game, right?
What kind of people do you have in your guild that you assume the first thing they think when seeing your score is how much you suck?!

Yeah this happens in my guild too, and generally we have a laugh about it, then i get teased some more about not having Famine, and it is all in good spirits.

The more i read stuff like this, the more grateful i get about the guild i am a part of and the people that are in it…
I don’t know if there really are that many hazy unfriendly guilds out there or if you people just don’t give your guildmembers enough credit, and assume the worst of them.
After being paragon for two weeks, and coming up short in a guildwide race for the spot in week 3, this week i get pummeled and noone gives me shit for it, as a matter of fact there is some friendly comforting teasing always in good spirits about it and always making me feel better about it.

5 Likes

Lol, you got me wrong. They do not criticize me, or anything, i just meant that if you get a bad score, since everyone can see it, you can feel ashamed or think stuff like “God! what will they think!” etc.
My guild consist of great people, and when i feel down for a GW loss they cheer me up and tell me to not take it so seriously, but since i am quite the competitive guy, i still feel bad if i perform bad.

10 Likes

The cheese has always been there.

The devs simply never really did anything ever to properly balance the game. Sure the worst things have been balanced, like every other common troop suddenly dealing true damage galore, Maw skull-bug-devouring the whole team with a single BD cast, Webspinner creating 15+ gems and looping to infinity… but what started as a nice game with a few (idk 50?) troops turned into a mess of far too many troops… most of which are far too bad or situational to ever be used.

And thats cause whenever something was utterly broken, they just added something that was even worse a few weeks later. The latest trick they invented is super rng troops. Everyone hated devour for its rng. The next thing they do is add more devour and deathmark.

People have been losing matches to stupid cheese defenses all the time and no one cared, cause whatever… problem with GW is that now they added a reason for you to start caring about losing a match, without ever ironing out the many flaws this game has, like keeping bugs that are known for months in the game instead of fixing em.

I thought gw was going to bring back some joy. The opposite happened. But I dont think that ppl leaving the game are leaving because of gw, but because gw hasnt delivered what they expected from it. The game itself is wearing out like any other game.

7 Likes

What needs to happen is a realization the game has grown. They can rebalance a handful of troops every 3 months.

Minor adjustments are needed once a Month MINIMUM. Probably more like on the Monday reset small stat tweeks.

4 Likes

A complicating factor is that so very many of the troops, including most of those that people take issue with, have all been available for real-money purchase at one point or another. Every nerf to such a troop is a potentially-dissatisfied customer, unwilling to again invest money into something that could be nerfed without notice. It’s a tricky position to be in, and I suspect their response has been conservative as a result.

8 Likes

Yes, I understand that unfortunate fact. But maybe its time to stop selling individual troops? Something needs to be done for a semblance of balance and the ability to innovate freely with new troops.

1 Like

Most of old troops need buffs, so i don’t see that someone who bought them would be mad about having his/hers troops buffed.
Troops need more attention, i mean just look at how long groshnak hasn’t recieved any work.
Garnok is crying in the corner.
And next troop from Groshnak is scheduled for jun 26th. Is that how long it won’t be done, even tho it is known for months, maybe even a year, thst grosnak troops need a rework?

8 Likes

Well every new legendary or mythic added has to be something unique and strong, cause otherwise ppl wouldnt want it as badly. Add a new legendary and make it a purple/green Sheggra, same spell, same traits… would I buy it? Sure I would, cause I want every card. Would I use it? Sure not. Everything has to be better and bigger than anything that’s been there before. At the same time every existing troop gets less useful unless it has a unique feature to it (like gem converters and such).

Sheggra once was a very good troop. Nowadays it is just an Immortal King for poor people. He does pretty much the exact same thing (ok he doesnt create gems before converting them) only with 2x the chance for an extra turn. Better stats, better traits, better spell. Yet Sheggra never got a rework. If you squeeze your brain long enough, you’ll find lots of other examples.

Yes, they need to create more content to keep the game alive. And throwing 1-2 new troops at the players every week is an easy way to do so… and the laziest possible. I guess most ppl (idk it, I guess) would have happily waived a ton of new troops if the devs used their time to work on bugs and balancing and added a new minigame once in a while.

5 Likes
  1. Your in luck! Groshnack is “on the list” for rework sometime in the future per Nimhain
  2. As I wrote above, Maybe they should stop selling individual troops and move to Event Packages like “path to Glory”. Where the troop is in a Kingdom pool. So you not actually buying a specific card?
  3. Finally, Its the “Nerf” that people have an issue with.

Edit: oops you know about the rework, mobile phone scrolling.

1 Like

I’m already pissed when I lose a single troop in GW, no matter when or why.

In pvp I just look at it in disbelief or sometimes amusement when the luck cascade is really ridiculous (pity this game offers no replay possibility for recording all the random sh*t) but then shrug and retreat, off to new battles.

2 Likes

An opt out option could be implemented. Matchmaking could be adjusted to the number of opt in participants. This way guilds could have the best willing players fight in GW and the opt out players can still contribute resources but not actually battle in GW.

I dislike GW and would choose to opt out if that option were available.

3 Likes

We’ve already said that Grosh-Nak is at the top of our list. It should be going out in the next month or so.

We’ve also said previously that we don’t like to rush balance changes in case we over-nerf or overpower the troop.

14 Likes

Poor Don… He’s not having any luck on the boards lately…

Now he got Nimhained :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a verb now?

1 Like

nim-hain (v)

1. To use a +1 hammer of smiting to remove posters who bracket every turd of wisdom with condescending LOLs;
  2. To change one’s forum avatar periodically as a harbinger of good tidings;
  3. To be the very best, like no one ever was.
20 Likes

sounds like someone Nimhained herself :hushed:

2 Likes

I’m sure this has all been said in this thread already but wanted to put my 2 cents in on my Guild Wars experience now that console has finished it’s first week.

To add to the echo chamber… stressful. At least half a dozen if not more others in my guild have also stated this same sentiment. GoW was always a fun, relaxing game that you could play at your own leisure without “pressure” to do well. GW takes this and throws it out the window. Now I understand that guild wars is technically optional, but out of a 30 person guild, inevitably many will want to partake, which then drags the rest of the guild along.

Also, what’s “worse” is that there are unobtainable troops/etc that are hidden behind guild wars, basically forcing the completionists/collectors who are more or less playing the game for fun and the chance to snag that card they don’t have, to compete in a highly competitive, frustrating mode of gameplay in an attempt to obtain those troops, with no other outlet to get them.

The stressful part comes in a few different forms:

1. First, not being able to play your matches until the end of the week. Those who have weekend plans or will be out of town Friday - Sunday have no option to get their matches done ahead of time and miss out on them. And then are either pressured to run through 15 matches at 10pm on Sunday night when they get home and are exhausted, or “let their guild down” and not complete them. That expectation alone sucks, but then coupled with the fact that guild wars matches usually last 5x as long as a regular pvp match, makes it a chore… and that’s not what this game should be.

2. Second, the variety is atrocious. Players are incentivized on the offense side to pick “unnatural” mono color teams, which don’t mesh terribly well most of the time, while defense is only incentivized to “hold off the attacking player” with no restrictions whatsoever, thus they can choose any combination of troops they want and pick the cheesiest, most RNG favorable teams out there “just to get the win”. If I see one more “Mab, Justice, XX, XX” team I’m going to throw my controller. It’s just not fun at all, and coupled with the lack of variety, I honestly dreaded clicking my next battle.

3. Third, And i’m not sure if this has been addressed yet, but at least in PvP if you lose to an opponent, you’re done with it and move onto the next. When I play a cheese team made to just irritate the piss out of you in Guild Wars and lose to it, I’m then forced to play it again? That’s the absolute last thing I want to do. It’s ridiculous and makes me want to stop after the first loss.

4. Fourth, Because of the lack of variety in defense teams, and using a mono color on offense (again, harkening back to not wanting to disappoint the rest of your guild members, because I could honestly care less), instead of matches taking 2 - 5 minutes, they take 5 - 15 minutes a piece. Let’s cut the difference and say an average match takes 10 minutes, times 35 matches, that’s over 5 hours of mind numbing, extremely frustrating play. Especially when half of those matches are coming down to extreme RNG cascade, devour, death mark luck at the nitty gritty end.

5. Fifth, The idea of Guild Wars was not a bad one, but somewhere along the way what it was “supposed to be” was lost. It turns a casual game into a hardcore one. The difference is, if I’m looking for a “hardcore” game I’ll go to something like a Dark Souls or Bloodborne game, where the play is grueling, but the only thing to blame for me losing is myself. Gems of War, with it’s extreme amount of RNG was never meant to be a “hardcore game”. There are just too many factors outside of a person’s control. It doesn’t matter how well you construct your team, or time you take to balance it… a few lucky cascades, a death mark that goes off on half your team on turn 2, or a devour that hits every time, can flush all that down the toilet. When it’s casual, you chalk it up to bad luck and move along, when it’s for “special goodies” and “not letting your team down”, its a draining experience that loses the fun.

And for those that say “well then just don’t play guild wars”… that’s not always a viable option. A HUGE part of the game is being in a guild and the experience that comes along with it, and if select people in the guild want to be a part of it, then it puts a ton of pressure on you to also participate. Couple that with the fact that theres a huge scoreboard that, if you do fail, feels like a huge arrow is pointing to your name saying “THIS IS THE PERSON THAT SUCKS IN YOUR GUILD” and I can understand why people are quitting. At that point, if you’re in a guild you like, you don’t want to let them down, you’re pretty much obligated to trudge through the monotony of it.

I understand that there are players who enjoy it, and that’s fine. But those players seem to be the more “hardcore” of the bunch, and while every game will have them, again, that’s not what this game as a whole was designed to be. There needs to be a way to allow Guild Wars, or something like it, to be less restrictive, offer more variety, and not hide “valuable” prizes behind a wall that that is the only way to obtain them. Without giving it more thought I’m not 100% sure what that solution is at this moment, but I’ll definitely report back if I come up with something.

/endrant

28 Likes

Because there are a half dozen ‘GW sucks’ threads kicking around the forum, each of them with ONE GUY posting about how much he likes the game… we seem to have one hardcore player in the forum enjoying GW while everyone else sees it as a stressful change to a VIDEO GAME - you know that thing you do for LEISURE?!

Sure, people who don’t have jobs and similar situations with lots of leisure time are going to love having extra stress in their lives, since it makes a mark on an otherwise boring and empty day.

But for someone who has a job, has goals to fulfill and has a family… this is stress creeping into this thing I do for LEISURE!!!

So yeah, the devs took a step in the wrong direction and I’m eager to see how they handle this because I DO see a lot of high level players walking away from this and I’m on the fence… pretty much won’t be here this time next month if nothing changes but I know that I need to give the devs a chance to answer.

I may be wrong in my perception and that people are joining GoW in droves to get involved in Guild Wars but I see more people I have played with over the last few years walking away and saying ‘good riddance’ because they don’t want extra stress in their lives.

3 Likes

Ugh, this again…

4 Likes