Guild Wars - Sneak Peek VI

But there’s no difference, in practice, in rewards. Being #1 in Bronze is the same as being Rank 1000 in terms of who you’re fighting against and what rewards you get… Being #1 in Diamond is the same as being #1 overall in terms of who you’re fighting against and what rewards you get. That’s a very minor issue in my view. I agree that brackets wouldn’t hurt, but it doesn’t seem like the earth-shattering problem you seem to be making it out to be.

Where are you reading this??? Please grab a quote from Sirrian or any other dev that states how this is going to be. Because that is not what was proposed. I recommend you read through their responses within this thread.

1 Like

First to clear up a misconception, there are more reward brackets outside position 10 (I was responding to a post that asked about the top few brackets)… let me post the entire table:

Rank 1 = 1,500 Gems, 100 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 50,000 Gold
Rank 2 = 1,000 Gems, 70 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 40,000 Gold
Rank 3 = 500 Gems, 50 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 30,000 Gold
Rank 4-6 = 400 Gems, 41 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 25,000 Gold
Rank 7-10 = 300 Gems, 32 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 20,000 Gold
Rank 11-20 = 200 Gems, 24 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 15,000 Gold
Rank 21-50 = 100 Gems, 20Guild Wars Troop Cards, 10,000 Gold
Rank 51-100 = 80 Gems, 16 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 8,000 Gold
Rank 101-200 = 60 Gems, 12 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 5,000 Gold
Rank 201-400 = 40 Gems, 9 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 4,000 Gold
Rank 401-1000 = 20 Gems, 6 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 3,000 Gold
Rank 1001+ = 10 Gems, 3 Guild Wars Troop Cards, 2,000 Gold

Regarding brackets… we discussed them early, but ditched them for one reason. If we have lots of brackets, we will have to drastically lower the rewards, because so many more guilds will come first. The feedback from the PvP System (we DO listen!) was that people wanted BIG EPIC rewards, and the way to do that was to have one giant bracket.

19 Likes

I don’t know that I’d catagorize anything having to do with a game as “earth-shattering” so maybe you’re reading something extra into my posts. :stuck_out_tongue:

Uhhh, lets see…top 50 in Pvp out of more than 20k active players gets you:
5000 gold
700 souls
Five gems
Two arcanes

And getting into top 50 takes upwards of 15 hours in a week matching gems. Yup, those BIG EPIC rewards!!!

Hmmm, a reason to dip into my vast wealth of 50k glory and 30 k gems.

Thanks for posting the full rewards. It definitely makes it a bit more reasonable, since a level 4 investment (~ 150 gems) still nets a small profit for top 20 (or a small loss for top 50). However, still a couple issues:

1. I’m not sure which people wanted the “big epic reward”, but simple math would show that it has to be a very small proportion of the community, since most of us simply can’t compete at that level.
  2. The problem @ogunther mentioned before about certain pairings still exists. Specifically, since scores will likely be fairly close among competitive guilds, one poor match-up out of the 5 will kill your week. So if you have the bad luck of getting paired with a top 10 team and you’re not top 10 yourself, your week is pretty much over,
  3. Rivalries with closely matched guilds, and the ability to play them during the event, simply don’t exist. Instead, you’d need to get excessively lucky to be paired with somebody within a dozen ranks of you.

That was the point really… players weren’t happy with those PvP rewards and wanted more!
I wasn’t meaning to imply we’d FIXED PvP rewards… merely that we recognized players felt they were insufficient.

2 Likes

Keep in my that if team scores at all factor in to Guild Wars matchmaking like they do for PvP matchmaking, having five star kingdoms for double skill bonus still doesn’t increase your team scores at all like level 10 kingdoms or the completed task guild skill bonuses do.

But if people aren’t putting in gems they can’t get back, how does the whole affair sink gems and possibly incentize purchases? Those close enough would probably be putting in a bit more than they gain back, but once it becomes readily apparent where your guild is going to stand week to week, who is going to put in more? Who would put in any if their guild members aren’t doing the same and they don’t have a decent chance at at least getting better rewards out of it? Moreover, who playing at the top level is going to go running to the cash shop to recoup their lost gems?

In order for this to even work as a business model, it needs to take gems away from players that can’t afford to lose them and have no choice but to recoup the loss by paying cash. If you can recoup the loss, or get close to recouping the loss, then it wouldn’t be sending people over to generate the revenue in the first place.

I believe the feedback was more along the lines of “the rewards should be worth the time investment”. I don’t think many people were clamoring to see a system where the bulk of the rewards (including something not attainable elsewhere) is primarily distributed to only a fraction of a fraction of the playerbase.

5 Likes

Skill easily trumps a few stat points.

1 Like

I’m not sure where this feedback came from so I can’t directly dispute it but my guess is regardless of what these people said, what they really meant was that they want rewards that “feel” BIG & EPIC but that they also have a chance at winning (even if it’s only every so often and, BIG & EPIC doesn’t have to mean gems, btw; you don’t have to constantly give away your premium currency).

The problem with one giant bracket is that only the top 10 prizes feel worth pursuing and for most guilds there’s no way they could ever hope to be competitive so they’re left with comparatively crappy rewards that won’t get them excited.

2 Likes

I think there may be some misunderstanding. Players want more rewards for the investment of time, right now PvP is too low. But Guild Wars is limited to 5 fights a day, so a very small time investment. Your “big epic rewards” are coming from the players pockets as an investment in guild statues, So the two things aren’t even comparable in my opinion.

2 Likes

Nah, it’s just that people seemed to be using the same uncomfortable high heels when complaining about the gem’s cost being prohibitive. But it’s for a competitive weekly event, face it like playing chess with your guild against other guilds… There is a set number of moves (battles) to determine the best guilds, it’s not something to be taken lightly to certain extents and any bonus you can gather for it shouldn’t be cheap too, that’s exactly the point of having it to be prohibitive.

Also we earn gems easily but at different amounts depending of our game progress and guild cooperation, i’m sure that you and me easily gather something like 200 gems, weekly, just on tributes if we can use our phones at work in a hourly interval of cheking-in+collect+logout activity. Does it makes the costs more reasonable for us? Sure, but for many players it doesn’t… That’s why i’m an 120% supporter of your suggestion about scaling it on some sort of rank, if possible.
But i’ll never support removing the gems costs at all from it.

Because as i said it’s a very valid advantage you might want to have in order to assure a desirable spot on the top ranks for higher rewards.

An argument for one giant bracket is that if we were all in little individual brackets… we’d end up vsing the same guilds fairly frequently. Which might be an issue if that scenario results in ‘Oh … we’re vsing Anonymous and Intrim and Match Masters again, GG!’

Think of it more like a 64- or 128-seed tournament, like tennis or something.

2 Likes

If @Sirrian ever gets tasks on mobile steam, you’ll be able to earn 30 or 40 extra gems a day.

This, so so much, but at this point, we’ve become spoiled to premium currency giveaways. We wanted meaningful rewards that feel BIG and EPIC. New fun troops and tactics that really draw the diversity this game can reach. We don’t have to get premium currency as a reward for everything. It’s supposed to be premium.

2 Likes

Except it’s not a 64 or 128 seed tournament; that would be a huge improvement. It’s a 10,000+ seed tournament. Thanks but no thanks.

They see the doomsday scenario because they see the current competitive landscape in this game and how it rewards people who skirt the fringe of ethical gaming and sportsmanship. They see the doomsday scenario because they know that playing 5 or 6 hours a day isn’t often good enough to land them in the top TEN THOUSAND of PVP on most weeks.

They gravitate towards the doomsday scenario because the devs are trying to build on constructs that clearly demoralizing to the player.

Long story short, this game isn’t built for REAL competition like this. They’re trying to shoehorn in a hyper-competitive mode to a game that simply isn’t made for it.

7 Likes

Also, my third suggestion on how to fix brackets fixes this issue. And I’m just one guy, I’m sure there are even better solutions out there.

@Sirrian you keep forgeting another 0 digit on those gold rewards.

4 Likes