As promised, I wanted to give you some more insight into how Guild Wars Battles will be scored this week. I say “this week” because we will no doubt tweak the formula as we see it in action (but tweaks to the formula - unless they are obvious bug fixes - will ONLY occur between Guild Wars, NEVER mid-week)
First the longest TL;DR ever:
Guild Wars points depend on 4 things:
- Whether you win or lose (same as before)
- How many troops you use of the correct daily color (same as before)
- How many troops you have alive at the end of battle (similar to before)
- How many turns it takes you to win (new!)
- My “Mana Efficiency” i.e. how much better I am at collecting mana than my opponent (new!)
- My “Damage Efficiency” i.e. how much better I am at dealing damage than my opponent (new!)
Also, points are 300 straight up per battle, to lessen & spread out the effects of RNG in battles as you approach the paragon.
Now let’s dive in and examine each of the new ones in a little more detail.
Note that we have a weighting here of A%, B%, C%, D% on each of the 4 criteria. We’re not telling you exactly what those numbers are, and we likely WILL adjust them next week, but they’ve been chosen to try and make each of the 4 criteria of equal importance given the data we collected from 1000’s of games about the efficiency and speed of players at multiple levels.
I am not sharing those exact numbers for 3 reasons:
- Things like this generate 100’s of tickets for our support team, with about 99% of them containing incorrect math
- They will cause any discussion here to degenerate very quickly
- The numbers we have will NOT be optimal as the game evolves, and we will change them accordingly (with warning, of course! if we de-emphasize or enhance one of the criteria in a future week, we’ll let you know)
1. How many troops you have alive at the end of battle
This is identical to how it behaved before (i.e. you get a bonus for every troop surviving but it has been de-emphasized a bit - about half).
SURVIVAL_BONUS = NumTroopsSurviving * A%
2. How many turns it takes you to win
By “turns” we mean unique actions (so a goblin who casts his spell, then matches 4 gems, then matches some skulls, has performed 3 actions)
You get bonus points for every action less than 30 that you take… So say you get x% bonus per turn - take 20 turns, and you will receive 10*x% as your bonus
SPEED_BONUS = Max(30-MyTurnsTaken,0) * B%
3. Mana Efficiency
We base another bonus on mana collected during play: Max(4, MyTotalMana/EnemyTotalMana)… if enemy mana is 0, it defaults to 4.
MANA_BONUS = Min(4, MyTotalMana/EnemyTotalMana) * C%
4. Damage Efficiency
Very similar to mana efficiency, but looks at damage instead. Some quick notes:
- Devour & Death Mark (insta-kill skills) do not count as damage
- AoE damage counts its damage for every troop hit, so 10 damage on all 4 enemies = 40 damage
- All other damage dealt by spells, traits, & skulls is equivalent point for point.
DAMAGE_BONUS = Min(4, MyTotalDamage/EnemyTotalDamage) * D%
FINAL_SCORE = BASE_SCORE + BASE_SCORE * (COLOR_BONUS + SURVIVAL_BONUS + SPEED_BONUS + MANA_BONUS + DAMAGE_BONUS)