Guild Wars, Point-Scoring for Battles, and You!

Sports such as Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Diving etc eg sports where you are scored by a judge are never hard and fast scores. The routine/jump/dive etc will have a specific difficulty tied to it, but how well you perform it is up to the judges to decide.

To translate that to what we have here, our “difficulty” modifiers are the various formula Sirrian mentioned above, while the “judges’ decision” is the A-D% that we don’t know exactly how they will turn out.

EDIT: Sniped by @spod

4 Likes

Is that mana collected as in “mana awarded by matching gems” or “mana going into the spell orbs”? To illustrate some corner cases, if I don’t have any green troops and take a green match, does it count as mana collected? If Great Maw has fired the one-shot spell and there are no other yellow troops around, does taking a yellow match still count as mana collected?

3 Likes

I wanted to like this 7 times (6+3 times) :grin:
(edit: OP) :beer:

Oh nice, lets compare Gems of War with figure skating or gymnastics. . Sigh. .

So we can play without loosing a troop, win all games and still not get the max score? And why wouldn’t that be play worth of max score? Who will determine how should we play? Thecla likes to play a match for 30+ minutes. Why is her victory less worth then a 2 min no brainer victory? Drop this stupid additional systems and return to the old - normal and simple scoring system.

There is enough RNG in this game, we shouldn’t have more stupid stuff influence our total score.

7 Likes

First, at least the scoring system is set up in advance, so we don’t need to worry about judges being bribed to improve some guilds’ scores.

Second, any score that can be maximized lends itself to restrictive play. Unless it is easy to maximize, in which case lots of players will achieve that maximum. But if it is easy to hit the maximum on any particular battle, that becomes the expectation. In that situation, RNG-based variations (skydrop-from-hell kills your first two troops, or Justice League spends 30 turns looping and chipping away at your team) are that much more frustrating – because you “should” have won and gotten maximum points, but for that pesky RNG and its stupid dog.

Edit: one last thought. Theicia can still take 30 minutes per battle if she wants. Wall clock time isn’t a factor in score. Only number of actions taken.

6 Likes

You asked for sports in which the scoring system isn’t entirely clear to the participants. So we provided examples.

Who said her victory would be worth less? She might not get full marks in the speed category, but will likely do a lot better in mana efficiency to make up for it. Also sheer time (eg time in minutes) doesn’t matter, only number of actions.

4 Likes

Well to add this. People who have been playing are averaging more than 1260 a match now which was the max score for the 300 level before. So who knows where the ceiling is now.

Your examples are out-of-topic because they are evaluated by humans. It’s like saying that one dev will look at the battle and give a score.
You ignore one point: in your examples, there is judges because no scoring system is possible. But here it’s not the case as there is a scoring system in GW.

Of course it is. Because she ignore the speed bonus. So I’m 100% that she will not get the speed bonus.

Maybe. In fact, there is no reason that she gets more mana than AI during her 30 min battle.

5 Likes

The max I’ve gotten was 1501 points and the team I won with had only 2 yellow troops. So I’d guess it’s in the 1800s.

ETA: Eh, a guild mate got 2300+ in one match. Soooo…

1 Like

Actually from the devs own comments, players do usually end up with more mana than their opponent.

But say 100% mana and 0% speed is still better than 25% mana and 50% speed. So there is potential that it could actually be worth more than the faster battle.

On an unrelated topic, we’ve got a guild on ps4 called ‘f you bobo’. I think they’re ranked top 40. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m actually interested in the mana-counting… Do cascades count as an action as well? Because I can’t influence those.

2 Likes

I think they should secretly and randomly change bonus criteria.

Next week, bonus points for long matches and losing three troops.

4 Likes

Your guild would still win.

1 Like

Yeah but in fact, the rule is more “Good players finish the battles with more troops”.
Just to say that you cannot take one comment of devs and make it a theory…

Moreover, we don’t know what it means to collect mana (cf various question about “mana collected” in this topic).
“Far higher” 200%? 50%? 2000%?

So, it’s still a “maybe”.

No, as we don’t know the weights.
And according to the current formula 100% mana is impossible as there is no max value for this bonus.

2 Likes

Played my 5. Awful. Cascades were out of control and it felt like a different game.

3 Likes

Hey, I want this new scoring system for PvP as well.

So i decided to quit the game on Sunday. Enough is enough.

5 Likes

Got a score of 7,562 pts after five battle today. I’m curious to know how well others faired.

2 Likes

Because that no-brainer victory did the same as Thecla but faster, on a game mode that takes into account speed. BUT maybe Thecla has a better damage, mana and survival ratio …

Listen, Guild Wars is one of many game modes, and it is the only one that evaluates not only IF you win, but also HOW you win. I think we needed this, for freshness and some restrictions at team building; but if someone doesn’t like it they could simply stop playing GW. I’m sure that high ranked guilds that don’t play GW will be naturally formed with time.

it’s always a shame to see a long term player go. Have luck wherever you may roam!

3 Likes