Guild Wars and Rankings

I have two questions regarding bracket one. Perhaps I missed the explanation of these things, but I want to be sure.

Will the amount of daily war winnings have an impact for the bottom in any regard?

If you’re placed up high, you will meet the top of the top next week (or is this truly random?). Does these much more difficult battles within the bracket be taken in consideration regarding demotions?

why then isnt there a modifier for the final weekly ranking? Skipping the last 3 guilds of a bracket or the first 3 could make a huge difference in score.

Thanks for posting this. A transparent system will make it much easier to compete and to understand the results. I’m disappointed with how bad things had to get before there was real communication with the players though, and hopefully something can be learned from that as well.

As for the actual calculations, they are much more fair for the top few brackets where a lot of the problems (and outcry) occurred. I like the clarity and simplicity of the system. I like the absence of “strength of match-up”, which I feel is unnecessary since all those matches are in the same bracket (my match-up strength is “bracket 2”, for example). I like that daily results are not actually having any effect as promised, and that there aren’t any P2W pieces in the scoring.

However, as @Mad_Butch mentioned, this causes significant problems for lower level or new guilds, who basically have no chance at ever reaching the top. Specifically, if a new guild starts in Bracket 375 (lower 25% of 500 brackets) and finishes first every week (thus gaining 2 brackets), it will take over 3 1/2 years (189 weeks) to reach the top bracket. Is this the desired result, or are more changes being planned to improve things for guilds starting lower in the table? And if so, I would humbly request that these changes are done transparently, so that history doesn’t repeat itself, and newer guilds can have a clear plan to succeed.

1 Like

@Sirrian will this change to into effect on console next week as well, or does it require a client update?

1 Like

Thanks @Sirrian for making this a much more transparent system.

There will be new kinks to work out of course but I think this will go a long way to quieting the hearts of players.

Great Job as always!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3 Likes

So more to come for lower end brackets it seems.

1 Like

So just to clarify, guilds no longer have the option to “skip” a week without being dropped a bracket?

I gave a thougut to all this climing issue for new guilds and ive came to a conclusion.
We have way way to many guild present. We don’t have enough players to fill half of the current existing guilds. And new guilds just keep popping up.
So while climb for the new guilds should be somewhat faster, they should still be restricted a bit.
We have a problem with guild overflow, and maybe restricting new guilds climb could help with it. Players might hesitate more when making a new guild knowing how much that puts them behind.

4 Likes

Why not use a calculation similar to ELO rating in Chess to rank guilds? Basicaly, every team has a current rating, and when you fight a team your rating increases if you win, decreases if you lose, and the amount depends on the difference in ratings.

New teams could be given a provisional rating depending on their first N games, and lower rated teams can have a larger change factor so improving teams can move up the ranks faster. (Both of these are done in Chess)

Then every week just list them in order of rating and take them ten by ten - those are your brackets!

5 Likes

This wouldn’t really help for this problem, since due to the brackets you’ll always be fighting somebody within 9 spots of you. So the difference will never be great enough for you to make a significant enough gain to “rocket” up the ranks if you’re low.

1 Like

That’s how it works in Chess. In fact, winning a lot of games against roughly equal opponents or slightly higher-rated opponents is the normal way to move fast up the ranks. You get nearly double points for beating a grandmaster, but it’s much easier to beat two players your own rank! (You get almost nothing from beating a beginner, though.)

There can be a larger multiplier at low ratings. So if your guild is in the top ranks, beating another equal guild will only move it up 10 points (or whatever) but for a guild in the lower ranks, beating one could move it up 50.

This system is actually designed to work when you fight mostly equal opponents. That is the purpose of all such systems (including the current GoW system) after all!

1 Like

So Unrepentant was #12, one of the top 2 guilds in bracket two and didn’t get promoted back to bracket 1. We were only like a few thousand behind. Is the ranking update not in yet?

Here’s my screenshot of our ranking showing we finished 12th. The previous week we dropped from #6 to bracket 2
for no obvious reason. Getting old.

4 Likes

That seems wrong.

Marthos Guardians and Match Masters finished #9 and #10 in bracket 1 and were demoted to bracket 2, so that seems to have worked as intended…

The other one who got promoted to bracket 1 is Últimos Guardianes, which wasn’t in either bracket 2 or 3 last week. How did they get there?

1 Like

We’ve always been #5 or #6 when we’re in bracket 1. Every time one of these ranking mishaps happens, it costs us cards. This week will be the 3rd time out of 7.

Considering the fact that @Sirrian said that it was coded to only be able to promote to bracket 1 from bracket 2, I expect this is a (very big) bug… :frowning:

1 Like

I was wondering where the heck Ultimos popped up from.

And yeah i was thinking Unrepentant was coming up. What gives?

1 Like

Interesting too, in that I don’t see them in the Top 50 Guilds. I know GW is a different system, but it seems odd.

could be possible they didnt fight in last week gw but joined this week ?

but i dont believe joining should be even allowed to just jump into bracket 1 lol…

I thought they made it clear that the only way into bracket 1 is to be in the top 2 of bracket 2. Which is why this is surprising

1 Like