For those of us that didn't get selected - what was your troop idea

I love this thread so much!

4 Likes

I just threw giant elf in there but only because it’s impossible (imo), to build a decent giant team.
So thinking about it a bit more…
He’s a giant
He’s also an elf
He’s a mythic
He’s from stormheim.
His colours are red. yellow, green.

He was chased up into stormheim by an army of undead after getting lost whilst hunting for food for his people in silverglade. He was their protector and guardian and their symbol of strength.
Its all Elspeth’s fault you see, she like totally freaked out because she like had run out of her favourite candied plums and she like ordered him to go out and get some for her in a violent storm and not come back til he’d like got her a big sack full of juicy plums.
So being the gentle giant he is, he did what the spoilt little princess asked.
However the storm hit harder and lasted far longer than anyone expected, and our poor giant was lost for almost a month, with only plums and the odd Cockatrice and Jackelope for sustainment. So when he rocked up with an empty sack to Stormheim the Northrenders asked him why he was there and why his sack was empty. He was brought in to Jarl and he told the story of how a spoilt little girl was using her royal position to get what she wanted and how she was making his life a misery. So when Jotnar got off the throne he was filled in on the details and our poor plumless giant was taken in by the natives of stormheim and he’s been there ever since.

His spell is called ‘empty my sack ‘and stuns the top and bottom enemies, and deals 40 damage to the middle two with a 5 hp extra damage for every allied and enemy giants.
Traits…
Fire link
Immense (8 life on matching 5 gems)
And mythic trait is called’ lick my plums’ … give bonus mana to all troops when 4 gems are matched. I’ll explain. If you match 4 blues, anyone who uses blue gets an extra two mana. Etc etc.
Hi name is…Grundal Tarandus Versamelaar.

1 Like

@Nephilim that is an awesome story and very silly one too.

He fits RIGHT into the Giant family - though the last trait made me giggle because I went places I probably should not have gone with it.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

@Vangor - feel free to really flush it out :slight_smile: love to hear more.

Thank you @Taisiakat i will do that!

Name: Jack Lumber
Kingdom: Maugrim Woods
Troop Type/lvl: Human (epic)
Colors: Red/Brown (14)
Quote: “A tree killed his Granny…now he’s out for revenge!”

Spell - Wood Splitter:
Remove all green gems. Destroy an equal number of brown gems. Cost: 14 Red/Brown

Traits:
Wargare Bond (+2 life to Wargare)
Fey Slayer (double skull damage to Fey)
Fire Link (gain bonus red mana from red gem matches)

Background:
Jack Lumber is a retired lumberjack who befriended the Wargare inhabiting the Maugrim Woods. He is a master in wood sculpture and totem crafting. The Totem Guardian is a creation of Jack to protect his newfound Wargare family. Jack is a formidable axe wielder and won’t hesitate to use it.
Rumor has it that the Fey in particular fear the former lumberjack, ever since Jack single-handedly managed to cut down a massive Treant in the Forest of Thorns.

Notes:
Thematically, removing green gems stands for the leaves that are removed from a cut down tree.
Similarly, destroyed brown gems are the wood that Jack collects from any cut down trees.
Jack uses red mana because of his Lumberjack shirt… Just kidding, red stands for fire when he makes a campfire!

Potential Balance Changes:
I am kinda cautious with the design of this troop, because removing 2 colors completely at once can have some interesting chain effects.
If the troop is deemed not very useful, here are 3 ways to buff Jack:

• Lower mana cost to 12 and replace fire link trait with fast (starts with 50% mana) trait.
  • Add extra turn condition; If 13 or more green gems are removed, gain an extra turn.
  • My favorite, Jack now also summons a Totem Guardian (after gems are removed and destroyed)

Closure:
I knew no one would vote on a Human only troop, week 1 voting was only about Kingdom and Troop type. A human-only troop doesn’t exactly sounds like the most interesting troop to vote on.
Hopefully you found it entertaining nonetheless. The rules stated it was going to be an Epic Troop so I didn’t want to go with some huge entity (reserved for legendary and above).

Art presented is not my own and is merely used as a concept.

8 Likes

@Doghouse - that is a very awesome and very cool troop. I love the back story and think this is a great idea.

Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:
Fixed some typo’s, mana cost, balance options.

1 Like

Name: Ruthless Assassin
Kingdom: Blackhawk
Type: Dwarf, Rogue

Trait:
1- Some useless bonus to Dwarve
2- Some Dwarf type immunity
3- Hunter Instinct: Can target Hidden troops
Spell: Poison and Disease and Stun an enemy troop, and immediately destroy it if there is more than one copy on the enemy team.

Muhahahaha.

Why: this little killer is the anti-double troop meta.

1 Like

Interesting concept @Venar - not sure of the 100% destroy if second copy. How would a troop that has impervious as an trait _not affected by spells or Hidden react? (such as the wisps but OH would I love to have something that did this)

I meant Hidden, I fixed it.
I also picked destroyed and not devour so it kills impervious troops.

Basically, he quickly remove any double troop. After that he becomes less useful.

1 Like

For those that were not voted to continue on, come over and flush out your ideas :slight_smile: Love to here them.

Name:Time Oracle
Blighted Lands
Human/Mystic

Spell: Control “Z”
Sacrifice myself. Revert all allies and enemies, other than myself, back to their status and stat values that they were at the beginning of the last time I took a turn. Gain an extra turn.

1 Like

Been wondering why they don’t do a time revert - it’s code, you can store it in a buffer, and revert. It seems like it’s begging to be made!!!

1 Like

The Ballbag Sisters

Zaejin
Goblin/Mystic

Main Spell:
Ball-Ache - All enemies suffer from Double Jinx and matching gems no longer gives the actual colour matched (10% blah blah)

Traits:
Itch - As the enemy becomes increasingly distracted, every enemy Mana-Surge goes to the player
Chafe - all enemies lose 2 random skill points on every enemy 4 or 5 match
Sweat - all enemies lose 3 health points on every enemy 4 or 5 match

That ones for you @Nephilim

3 Likes

Pmsl, what load of balls!

1 Like

@Taisiakat

Vangor
Legendary / Khetar / Undead-Beast
Spell: Smash (14 green/brown)
Deal (magic+5)damage to all enemies and stun the first troop and knock it to the back
Traits: beast bond/impervious / pound chest- Gain +2 to all stats on 4 or 5 gem matches
Requires: Minor Nature, Arcane Forest Traitstones
Max stats: Attack - 45; Life - 22; Armor - 28 Magic - 10(When fully ascended and level 20)
Flavor Text: He ain’t monkeyin’ around

2 Likes

Name: Mufferfish
Kingdom: Blackhawk
Troop Type/lvl: Merfolk/Mech (epic)
Colors: Blue/Brown (12 mana)
Quote: “Of all the fish in the sea, I’m so glad you swam to me”

Spell - Gulp:
Transform all Blue Gems to Green and Submerge myself.
If I am damaged, destroy myself and deal [(Magic/2) +30] damage to the first enemy. (Magic:8 at lvl 20)

Traits:
Venomous (Poison enemies when doing Skull damage)
Engulf/Flood (Deal double Skull damage vs. Submerged enemies) NEW TRAIT
Stealthy (Cannot be targeted by spells)

Background:
The pirates of Blackhawk found an ancient treasure map, showing the exact location of the forgotten kingdom of Merlantis. To Captain Skullbeard’s surprise, it was located right to the northwest of Blackhawk. What treasure of untold riches could they find there? What lurks below to guard it?
Captain Skullbeard went on an exploration mission and encountered a strange looking fish in Merlantis.
A deck hand captured it, but got bitten in the process. Apparently these little creatures were highly toxic and the deck hand quickly died from the poison! The captured fish must have been a Pufferfish, pet fish of the Merfolk who live here.
Knowing the Merfolk wouldn’t be too happy, Captain Skullbeard set sail back to Blackhawk to report his findings.

The pirates needed better weaponry if they were to claim treasure from Merlantis. Treasure they couldn’t stop thinking about. Lil’Johnny realized the potential of the Pufferfish and, armed with a hefty amount of gold, traveled to the kingdom of Adana.
Once there, he handed over the Pufferfish plus the gold and asked Sparkgrinder to manufacture a weapon based on the Pufferfish. Sparkgrinder couldn’t resist the gold and set his royal engineers to work. The result? A living sea mine in the form of a mechanical Pufferfish. Armed with sharp teeth and a huge amount of Tetrodotoxin, this sea mine would proof to be a great weapon for the pirates of Blackhawk. They could use them to protect their border or, even better, launch them with their ship cannons into enemy territory! Surely the Merfolk wouldn’t spot the difference with their own pet fish?
And so the Mufferfish were born. Mechanically engineered Pufferfish to fight the Merfolk and claim their Treasure.

Notes:

Spell

• Thematically, transforming blue gems stands for when Pufferfish quickly ingest (gulp) huge amount of water to grow several times their normal size. They do this to protect themselves.
    These gems are turned into green gems, because Pufferfish are extremely venomous. The green gems represent Poison.
    Submerge is pretty self-explanatory, both Pufferfish and sea mines are submerged below sea.

• The second part of the spell is more about the sea mine aspect.
    “If i am damaged, destroy myself” was chosen because a sea mine explodes when it is approached.
    It doesn’t explode by itself, only until something comes in direct combat/contact with it.
    That’s why the “If i am damaged” condition was used.
    It will damage the first troop, because that represents the unit who is most likely to initiate contact.

• Blue mana cost represents aquatic and Brown mana is used for the mechanical aspect and the fact that it’s a sea mine.

Gameplay

• Submerge/Stealthy combo is used as a way to play around the destroy condition. Didn’t want the troop to be too easily countered and they make sense thematically.
  • Troop can be used in first position in a summoner team, purposefully triggering the self-destruct explosion for extra damage. Venomous and Engulf/Flood traits support this play style.
  • The existence of the Mechanist Hero is the reason for picking 12 mana and no mana link traits.
  • No troop exists yet that transforms all blue gems to green.

I decided against the idea of a Pufferfish eating sea mines, because it didn’t adequately fulfill the Mech fantasy. One could argue the troop is not really a Merfolk, but rather a Beast. Couldn’t pass on the idea though and I hope the background story shows enough of a link to Merfolk. You can find the original voting concept below:

Closure:
This was my second troop idea, after the community decided on a Merfolk/Mech troop from Blackhawk.
The rules stated it was going to be an Epic Troop so design space was limited. Typically unique traits and spells are reserved for legendary and mythic troops.

To find out more about my first troop concept, Jack Lumber (Human, Maugrim Woods), click here:

Art presented is not my own and is merely used as a concept.

2 Likes

I wanted a yellow snow Guardian where he was on vacation to the land of the Giants and got caught in a mysterious rain :japanese_ogre: lol kinda silly but could invoke bio-hazard.

Second idea which i could not submit because the ability is not made yet a final fantasy type cactuar or maybe a hedgehog that had the ability of upset stomach. Long story short if it gets devoured you would hurt it for your max life directly to it life. If you had enough life left over after that you would still be alive afterwards with the remaining life. For example Karken ate hedgehog with 100 life and karken only had 50 life left karken now dies and hedgehog is left with 50 life. I personally think this would be a great card. Now if this was reversed and karken had the 100 life it would be left with only 50 life remaining and the hedgehog would be dead.

1 Like

I copy here my suggestions slightly changed from the obsolete ‘design-a-troop-competition’-thread:

Two troops for Merlantis:

Queen Mab’s sister:

Troop name: Lady of the Lake
Color: Purple/Blue
Mana Cost: 15
Special Ability: “Water Ward” Enchant the first ally. Remove freeze condition from all allies and give them 8 life. Renders all allies immune to freeze and mana burn until dispelled.
Type: Elemental

Trait 1: Bonus Mana for blue gem matching
Trait 2: Impervious
Trait 3: Fast

And the Mint Moray who makes overeaten beings explode:

Troop name: Mint Moray
Color: Brown/Blue
Mana cost: 12
Special ability: “The Final Mint Chocolate”: Deal 12 true damage to an enemy. Deal double damage if it uses brown mana. If the enemy troop has more than 80 life points and the ability to devour it explodes and is killed instantly.
Type: Monster

Trait 1: Immune to devour
Trait 2: Deal double damage with skulls to troops that use brown Mana.
Trait 3: Destroy a random green gem on 4 or 5 matches.

1 Like