Dev Q and A Question Gathering Time!

I heard your full explanation on the stream last night and completely understand what you’re saying, but there is no comparison between the “Dawnbringer is ruining Arena” discussion and the old “Runic Blade is ruining Arena” discussion. The difference in both variety and impact of those particular weapons is staggering. In retrospect, the “Runic Blade is ruining Arena” discussion was a joke. Dawnbringer is serious.

A quick-fix is warranted, and removing it from defense teams is the simplest and least-impactful option. It hurts no one and benefits everyone by making the mode playable for anyone that doesn’t have DB.

4 Likes

I figured that’s what that wheel was. And that’s where the idea of having it on the home kingdom page comes from, I assume? Not having that ’ 2-3 second connecting to server ’ happen too often, slowing down the pace of the game, as you said.
Now that I think of it, once the information is on the player’s side, how about relying on an internal clock for the timer? The only problem will be someone on PC for example editing the clock manually. (the point is 'another way to check the time without having to connect to the server e v e r y t i m e . ’ )

Honestly I have no idea how these things work or what’s possible in Unity. Only thing I got from the stream was that the devs said that updating the timer would require connecting to the server.

I also think a tribute timer would be way more useful than the income/hour display we have in the top right corner right now. The question is what kind of price we want to pay for it. The way I see it: When I’m in the game, I know when tribute comes becaue of the loading wheel happening. When I’m not in the game, an ingame timer won’t help me and only an external alarm coming from my alarm clock/phone/countdown PC program can remind me. So while I can’t deny that an ingame timer would be really neat, I don’t see it as something I am willing to endure lag for. The new update already gave a slight lag after explore and it’s bothering me enough as it is.

Also I would rather see the devs work on more important health-related matters (particles, text readability or transparent board) or real game issues (Dawnbringer in arena, Soulforge mythic rotation, PVP refresh button overlapping with continue button) first. The fact that things like the promised switching of gold keys to the leftmost chest window button - something that seems so simple of a change - didn’t get implemented because of a bugfix taking priority shows how difficult and time-consuming coding is and I would really rather see any of the “big” things fixed so that people can play the game again without health issues and major frustration first before things like a timer and all its problems coming along with it get implemented.

Given how many issues the new UI and effects introduced, I really think that there’s a big list in front of the devs now and something that is hard to make like a timer should be low on the priority list.

As I said, I would still love the timer… but I would love to be able to play without migraine and read the text better and be less frustrated by the soulforge first.

Perhaps if we had the option to check the remaining time from the home Kingdom menu, that would be a good compromise? It would put the information at our disposal, but we’d have to take a few seconds to go get it and it wouldn’t clutter up the world map.

I don’t remember exactly how the new home kingdom map looks, but in the same place that non-home kingdoms would have a button that says “make this your home kingdom”, there could be a button that says “Check remaining time until next tribute”.

2 Likes

Ooooh, I actually really, really like that idea! Heck, I wouldn’t even mind it on the worldmap itself - the offer button could really go away and be part of the shop, if you ask me, so a “check tribute time” in its place would be really neat.

2 Likes

Reaction to “Hot Dude vs. Queen Mab”:

Sirrian: “Best question ever!”

Nimhain: “Answering this question was a huge mistake.”

Thanks to the devs for inserting some lightheartedness into yesterday’s stream! :grinning:

5 Likes

I set an alarm on my phone to tell me when to collect tribute. I suggest you do the same.

2 Likes

I do when I’m home!

A question that hasn’t much to do with the gameplay:

How did it all start? What’s the beginning of the adventure for GoW and its creators?

A question that has to do with the UI:

How about a tool to move our teams up or down in the team list?

Sirrian has his own Wikiepdia page!

He also worked on one of my favorite ancient games, Reach for the Stars, which was the original 4x game. (Xplore, xterminate, xpand, and ummm, xscience research? Xploit, lol.) Though I’m not sure it was the MS-Dos version I played…

2 Likes

Thank you! @UKresistance, I’ll go checking that :slight_smile:

Anyone one today, so far 9,740 points lost this week to errors, so much for third place. Awesome maxing out sentinels just to be wasted.
Fix the damn bugs in our wars already!!!

I love Steve fans.

1 Like