Delves: Strategies, tactics and tips

Fang Moor Pure Faction Attempt @ Level 500 with Hoard Level 320. Room before boss. How everything can go wrong…

Next attempt was it! Second to last room and final boss. Now I only have Mirrored Halls left!

8 Likes

I’ve done the Tinker Town with potions (+42 to all stats), but few notes about the run, which might be usefull for doing potionless run.

1. team used:
    Destruct-o-bot
    Smash-o-bot
    Tink Steamwhistle
    Tink Steamwhistle
    banner: +2 yellow +1 red -1 green (Lantern?)
  2. General tactic:
    Avaid casting bots unless at least 1 of tinks is fully charged and ready do replace troops. Replace your fallen/destroyed bot-o-shields with new ones. Use destruct-o-bots to kill dangerous enemies in the back, use smash-o-bots to quickly refill troops and deal damage to enemy front troop. Your Tinks should be safe, as they have Fortitude so no nasty Deathmark will take them down.
  3. Boss battle:
    BEFORE entering the battle, make sure you end up your previous battle with 2 bots, and none of them being detect-o-bot. Your main goal is to kill enemy Tink, and than do the clearup. You can aim for that in at least 2 ways:
    Try to snipe him with 3x damage from destruct-o-bots (might not be viable as much without potions - guy can probably heal himself faster)
    Buff your Smash-o-bot armor to 1000 with your tinks, and spam enemies with smash-o-bot. You can try to wait for clear oportunities → sooner or later enemy tink will end up with 3 detect-o-bot who will loop themselves into death leaving enemy tink, unguarded, that’s your oportunity to finish him off with 2-3 casts of yout smash-o-bot.
    Be aware that, enemy smash-o-bots on 3rd spot might grown quite big in armor, and be able to 1shot your frontliner before they eventualy explode.

Hope these few tips might be usefull for potionless 500 runs.

Edit: Additional note:
Even with those +42 stats from potions (6xT7) it took me more than 18 minutes to kill enemy Tink. I got him down to less than 100 hp more than once, and than my offensive bots self destructed and enemy Tink regained his stats… so this boss battle without potions might be a long one…

3 Likes

Ain’t nobody got time for that. Digging thru olde posts to find out if anybody knew a troop would be broken…during GW week…with campaigns, world events, and a weekend delve event.

Even now I woulddn’t waste time doing it. Because who knew, way back when, that ai Forest Trolls would take a board with 4 green mana on opposite corners of the map, double them, and add 4 in just the right place to make an extra turn for Mr. Truffles to loop your GW team to death?

But people did complain after. And the dev response was to create Queen Bee, who requires 1 less mana, has the ability to cleanse all with 3rd trait, and do true dmg instead, and thanks to streaky rng, get those ai loops done 40% faster. There is no Gobchomper equivalent for Wildfolk.

I ain’t mad tho. I use both of them too. What do I care if the devs nerf, or don’t nerf, a troop or weapon. Plenty of other troops to use. I’ll just wait to learn which ones to use best from our great GoW community.

Prior to release, Truffle seemed perfectly reasonable. What came to the live server was quite a bit different. I thought it’d be nerfed immediately. It was, and is, OP.

2 Likes

Tinkertown complete

100 hoard, 25% bonus 2 Nysha/Anu - Tinker banner. No medals.

Started with Smash/Destruct 2 x Tink.

After the weekend, I got to 420 in the faction and 350 without potions with a daily delve for the faction. That took 22 minutes so was encouraged!

Did the daily delves, so my final delve today. It was my first attempt at 500 with my last sigil today.

I still have to do a perfect clear with normal 500 as my Finesse died at boss room at normal 500, so will do that tomorrow with a diff team.

I’m not going to post many images of the battle. It lasted 2 hours 19 minutes and 32 seconds…

Anything I say right now will be full of curses at the surgeon that devised this delve…

One thing too say, the AI got freeze on skull hits from beating Wraith, unavoidable room in the path. That was a complete nightmare as Tink summons red troops only, and therefore anything red was frozen. As a result I could not cast Detect o Bots almost the entire battle because I just fed the AI.

Here’s the start

Here is 1 hour 32 minutes

Now 1 hour 58 minutes

Video auto shut off at 2 hours.

Here is an example even right at the end of the freeze problem.

He self destructed here. 2:19

Will rectify the normal as stated. :slight_smile:

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, 1 delve attempt at 100 hoard is better than 90 attempts at over 200… :rofl:

13 Likes

If only Tink would self-destruct as well…

I wonder how many times my Tink would suicide in 2 hours, 19 min and 32 seconds. Probably every cast. Forget I mentioned it.

Congrats to you. Thanks for the video. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting that, it makes me even less inclined to bother with Delves :+1:

2 Likes

I must admit I was of this opinion when delves arrived, I was pretty ambivalent towards faction teams at least.

I did HoG normal faction with a wierd team, which was Forest Troll, Tricksters Shot, Dryad and Hyndla and tbf found it good for a challenge. I then tried the faction runs, had many a go, and sort of for some odd reason, started to enjoy the challenge.

After that, I carried on, and did 3/4 fairly okay, so decided to do them all this way.

I simply refused to spend the gems in the events, not least because of working weekends for the most part and family, so decided that progressing through the delves on a daily basis would be the way to go.

Factions like this one, are not good for encouraging participation though. My effort was made worse because of being frozen by AI Chill touch, so I had to wait for freeze to pass, and usually by that time, AI had managed to make Smash’s with high armor, capable of 1 shotting my first slot. None self destructed either, I had a 1k Smash kill 3 troops in a row, from 3 casts, including my first Tink.

Yesterday at 11:52 I was here;

The smash eventually self destructed, but not until it had killed about 12 troops. I suppose another thing it shows is it is possible to win from anywhere.

As always, anecdotally, the AI seems favoured with random stuff, and when they should be self destructing, they didn’t. I had detect o bots loop over 20 times, in fact I stopped counting at about 20 and walked away, put the water in the kettle and switched it on. I came back, and it was still going, as there were 3 of them. Everytime I had 2 and unfrozen, 1 died after 1 or 2 casts.

I wish there was a way to engage in communication with devs about the playing experience in delves, without them shunning any communication, on the basis they are too busy to test, play, can’t play when at home, etc, etc. Yes it’s their game, but things like this faction can do more harm than good.

Some constructive player feedback on how these things play out and how much time they take, vs the ability to find that time. It seems nothing the players say, even in the most forensically analytical of ways, gets through. After Stonesong Eyrie, the devs could have taken on player feedback about the summoning rates, which are absurd. No one game should take so long, and we have to go through a mountain of games on a weekend, or a faction Tuesday.

There should be a way of communicating issues with some go between system, a point of contact, without it degenerating into some kind of hostile argument. I know for example this Tuesday I went Tier IV in the event for shards, and got deep on the leaderboard, which I would not have been able to do 6 months ago, I’d need Tier VI, maybe VII at least.

I mean one of the troops in the faction was/is broken, and to me that seems like not only did they not check, no-one has any idea how the actual game plays out. Perhaps we can find a way to pass this on, without being shot down without any thought.

My example might not be the basic barometer, some did it fairly swiftly, but if luck doesn’t fall with you, you can take as long as I did, or longer. In the end I felt I got some luck, 6 or 7 Smash’s in a row, 4 of which were triple damage, and killed the Tink at last. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They managed to get a Smash with 1k armour down in 3rd slot, as well as one with 588 armor in top slot. They mullered everything, 1 shot kill, refill, 1 shot kill, refill, got my first Tink that way, even with 1800 health, as it landed 3 times in a row. I thought I was done. :slight_smile:

Always a pleasure ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My issue is that I play games like this for fun, but GoW is become more and more of a chore if you really want to advance in the game.

I got into GoW after playing Puzzle Quest which was fun, I could pick it up or put it down any time I wanted, play at my convenience and enjoy it.

With GoW, however, to be able to get on with Delves, Pets, Events etc, without having to fork out real cash, you need Gems (mostly) which requires picking them up hourly to amass enough to be able to afford buying Tiers and so on.

The increase in the number of Events, the Campaign and so on is sucking the enjoyment out of the game for me.

I’ve been playing for something like four years now, but it’s becoming more like work than entertainment.

And before someone pops up and says “Oh, well why don’t you just stop playing” or “You don’t have to do that” etc, yes, I KNOW, and that may be fine for YOU but if I’m going to play a game, I don’t want to play it in some half-arsed manner, because that’s not how I do things. So you play your way, I’ll play mine, but the Devs need to think about what they’re expecting from their players.

3 Likes

Totally agree with you, it’s becoming more and more of a chore/job, and less and less fun.

It’s for another thread I guess though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I continue believing that Cat Burglar is the best troop to kill Cedric. But, thats it 173+50% hoard.

3 Likes

Almost did werewoods with 170 + 50% hoard on my friend’s account but enemy’s werecat messed up :sob:
As a consolation…

250 + 50% hoard :call_me_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Tinker Town definitely possible with 100 hoard. Got it on my first try. However, my recommended strategy would have to be “Don’t”, it was incredibly slow going on the boss room.

I did have a backup Tink, which got killed in one of the middle rooms by something. So that’s definitely worth having around unless you want to try even more times.

9 Likes

I pushed Tinker Town pretty far on the faction weekend and decided to finish it up, working with 100 hoard and no kingdom bonuses. Non faction was pretty easy with Urskaya + Tesla + Harpy Mage + Tesla (sentinel).

I figured I’d give pure faction at least one go and then decide if I’d push it out wait for better bonuses.

My plan going in was to have Tink in slot 3 and maintain a smash in slot 4, hoping to build it up and loop while praying for no self destruct.

First room was easy as I played it conservatively and let them blow themselves up. Second room was spiders :frowning: so I just focused on the ones that spawn and eventually beat the room.

The third room was full of fungi–I was worried giant toadstool would turn Tink and end the run. It didn’t get Tink, but rather my smasher is slot 4.

Change of plan.

Got to boss room and got REALLY lucky and turned Tink into a toadstool on the first cast. It was really easy–and quick–cleaning up after that. My first finished faction!

I don’t recommend this route :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

yep, toad is really useful in some delves ^^

An excellent plan. I tend to get impatient, and even the best plan (and advice), often gets ignored when my bloodlust kicks in. As a result, my Lvl 100 run took 26 minutes because all my best troops suicided before the final room, and I went in with 2 Detect-o-bots and an empty slot (filled by a third).

Lvl 300 was done today in 6.5 minutes, and while I do not look forward to Lvl 500, I am encouraged by the prospects. If I can remember to play conservatively: Fewer casts = fewer times to have rng blow up. Plan’s a good 'un. Just not in my nature.

1 Like

After 3 days, finally did it =)

170+50%
Werebird is really strong!!!

9 Likes

The run became easier thanks to Fellroost S2.
Unfortunately, the Mirror Queen did not die. So, I was unable to form my ideal team with Fell D Egg in the 4th slot.

One of the safest and tedious strats

The lucky run

Run with 100 True Hoard

3 Likes

Not sure about all the Tinker Town hate — I enjoyed it, for the most part, and succeeded on my first try (Hoard 100, Adana 15, Bronze-elite Smash-o-Bot, World Event medals because I’m a dumb orc that forgot to switch them; would recommend Seasons if you want to have the stat boosts the Artifact is currently giving in this Campaign’s penultimate week).

Really comes down to time and luck — but what summon-focused faction doesn’t? This one is harder (or the same) as Mirrored Halls, and less difficult than Stonesong Eyrie, in my estimation. Same strategy as I gave for those — summon only when you need to, and hope that RNG is in your favor for conditional effects. When you have Tink killed, you win. Lose your Tink, and you lose. Simple.

Final fight only took about an hour. Wouldn’t be surprised if it had taken half that, or 3 times that — but I don’t think it’s likely to last as long as a Harpy fight.

Best of luck to y’all, and may you send a boast Zorn’s way on my behalf For da Horde (andsoIcanfinallybeatSeaofSorrowsorWerewoodsthankstoArtifactstats)

6 Likes