Delve Hoards desperately need a change

Simply put: delve hoards require too much of a gold and resource sink than their rewards are worth.

The main problem with the delve hoards is that adding treasure to your hoard is insanely expensive in the upper levels that are required for the all-elusive “500 faction run”. Finishing the 500 faction run gets you a level 20 pet (which you still need to find food for), which may allow you to bring your kingdom past 12 stars. The cost of the current delve hoard far outweighs the reward of going to 12 stars.

Due to the correlation between hoard level and the cost of adding a treasure, anything less than a King’s Crown is useless. Which means many of us are sitting on thousands of useless coin purses, gold rings, and priest chalices.

I know the developers want delves to be a gold sink, but this gold sink is far too great. So I would propose the following change:

• Adding a treasure to the hoard is free.
  • You now will pay a gold cost to increase the max level of the hoard (perhaps every 100 levels the cost increases).

These changes would make everyone’s hoard cost the same, and these numbers could be balanced. I can’t speak to the math of how this would work out versus the current system, but I would propose somewhere around a 5 million gold cost to go to the max hoard level.

Regardless of what implementation is chosen, I still think my original point is valid: delves cost far too much gold for what they return. I understand the point of a gold sink in the game’s economy, but this gold sink is flat out broken at the moment and has been since its inception.

16 Likes

Yeah it’s a deeply flawed system in my opinion. They expect us to spend like 30-40 million on EVERY faction, while also limiting gold farming more and more with each patch
And if the beta testers are right, it’s going to be even worse in the future so yeah

I think delves have been around for over a year now, so I don’t expect anything to change for the better. Apparently the solution for pure faction lvl 500 is a mix of potions x1000 and kingdoms levels past 10, which we will have by like 2030 so it’s all good

2 Likes

Now that Mists of Scales can go to Level 14, has anyone actually been able to complete a 500 faction run with this 50% hoard bonus? If so, what is your hoard level?

I agree with the basic idea, switch the cost from individual treasure adding to cost per level/buch of levels.
But 5 milion is absolutely a too small ammount for a maxed treasure hoard, if you consider that it has 1000 levels. You could roll a lev 500 pure faction run with a single troop, if your hoard is maxed…

I’d rather say 1 milion per 50 levels is more realistic.

Shorter version of what I said in another thread:

I think this is a band-aid and it’s obvious players aren’t meant to finish Delves for free in this time frame. There are numerous options for adjustment that would make it easier. The devs are instead pursuing moves that make the rest of the game slower to progress as well.

Some day they’ll make some adjustments that make it possible for an F2P player to progress through Delves fairly quickly. It will be in response to the presence of some new mode that requires money to pass quickly, because they’ll need to get players focused on that new mode ASAP instead of the old hotness.

It makes me sigh, but at least I can still grind PvP.

Well, not a Dark Pits story (haven’t tried it with faction at level 500; level 200 done potionless is where I’m at), but I can try to show my experiences with All-Seeing Eye.
As of yesterday, it looks like this:

Darkstone at 25% hoard bonus

Team and bonuses:

Faction pet bonus was only +3/+3 when I did the playing

I had tried faction team with hoard level 100 a long time ago, saw it was…hopeless and left it at that. About two months ago decided to have another go and began investing in hoard level. Raised some, played some, raised some more and stopped at level 200 in the end of August. I decided to last through September on that (also 25% bonus since September 18 when we had Deeds of magic daily task) trying out different faction team lineups and then decide my next move.

In essence, level 200 hoard win is still luck mostly…and this faction is one of the few with actually functioning teams. First room is more or less okay (but losing the run right there is not unheard of); middle room or 2-room path (depending on what nasties await in there) stop the progress quite often; then comes the boss room - most of them ended with me dead and their troops hardly touched. I can let them hit me once, second hit (with anything) - I’m gone.

The way my win came was - getting lucky with Ocularen Leech explosions giving extra turn, full mana, explosions, extra turn, full mana, sky skulls in between, more attack steal and that turn ended with their Leech on 4hp and no good matches to take. Then I cast Xerodar, Leech is gone, subsequent skulls kill their Ocularen and I can steal some attack from their Mother.
But, as you can see above, even with those sort of weakish summons and enemy Xerodar they cut me down to only Mother and it took another chunk of luck to have their Xerodar end on full mana without extra turn and skyskulls.

Stat disparity at level 200 hoard is simply too big to be able to count on skill alone to win games.

People (me including) have already said things on other threads (for example, see below), but I might as well rant some more.
If I think about it, it would be nice to have hoard stat bonuses increased. Right now my finger-counting says that level 1000 hoard gives roughly the same stats for attack/armor/life (while magic is still lower) as the enemy team. If I’m dedicated enough to raise my hoard that far (which is a lot of expenses) I would expect to end up (at least) slightly stronger than the boss room for all my troubles.
I doubt, however, that there is anybody who can do level 1000 (the costs are just astronomic) for one delve, let alone multiple. Supposing even that gold is manageable (grind PvP 24/7 or whatever), there’s just not enough treasure.
@anon88626343 said it correct that portals should function like guild chests and stop dropping faction troops after you own four mythic copies. Half of shards would still go to waste (who could be mad enough to actually use those purses, rings, chalices for the hoard level we’re talking about?), but that’s one step in the right direction from, let’s assume, three fourths of shards being wasted, as it stands currently.

https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/hoard-quality-increased-from-50-to-300/58118
https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/city-of-thieves-is-literal-proof-yall-have-no-idea-what-youre-doing/57607

4 Likes

I think another part of the issue is that you only have 3 tries per day for these battles. If you could bash your head against it over and over, it might not be more fun, but at least it would be over sooner!!!

2 Likes

This page is a list of several hundred detailed reasons why nothing is going to change about Delve hoards.