Dawnbringer unbalances Arena

Arena_02_11_weapon

So it can go two ways:

• Arena as it is, with DawnBringer and others personal weapons allowed in defense while in offense only a given rank of weapons is allowed and/or no hero in defense

• Arena forks out in different minigames, say one strictly with basic troops and weapons, one with high level troops, one “chose your own trait”, one “anything goes”, maybe with weekly challenges…

Ok… So i havent done arena in a very long time until today… I do not have dawnbringer but i do have runic blade.

I actually found it to be very fun! It was super challenging and kinda like GW i had to think about every move i made!

I faced dawnbringer in all but 2 battles and i won all 6! The only battle i lost was to damn runic blade lol

3 Likes

It’s not impossible to defeat the dawnbringer team and I also agree every move counts and also the adreneline surge really keeps it interesting (well as much adreneline you can get from a puzzle game :joy:)

The only down side is I find in many occasions that they fill up within 2-3 turns and can at least take down 2 team members in one hit.

I’m not shy to take them on and as much as I find arena fun to farm for souls and trophies on the side it can eqaually become frustrating.

Well, that’s still code, which isn’t “free.” Web deployment tends to be much easier than app deployment, to be sure, but “no code change” is hyperbole.

I agree that the team does not appear to be taking this problem at the appropriate priority, though.

4 Likes

I feel like a significant % of this thread is, “Well I just won a match against Dawnbringer so I don’t think it’s a big deal, CLEARLY your argument is that you can’t win against Dawnbringer and CLEARLY I just won.”

2 Likes

That wasnt my point at all… I actually agree that dawnbringer should be removed from arena entirely. I was just sharing my arena experience…

I am not surprised that ppl are attributing meaning to what i say that isnt there… Seems to happen a lot.

I wasn’t necessarily citing you, I didn’t get a strong “either way” feeling out of it. When you say “I just won 6 matches against Dawnbringer”, it does have the scent of “Eh, it’s not so bad” to it. So probably toss in a sentence like, "Those matches took too much thinking, if I’d have made one mistake I’d have lost."if the sense you want to give off is “I don’t like Dawnbringer”.

My guess there is if I had your experience, I’d have a pretty dang high win rate vs. Dawnbringer too. Part of beating it is knowing how to make the right matches. The first 5-10 times I faced Runic Blade I got owned pretty hard, then I learned I needed to make it a priority.

IMO Dawnbringer’s depressing because:

• Runic Blade takes 2 activations to get out of control. That’s a long time.
  • I don’t think I’ve ever won in a match where the opponent hit me 3 times with Runic Blade, but that also means I had a terrible team or luck.
  • Dawnbringer is out of control after 1 swing. It puts you at least 1 turn behind on damage and for some teams you lose 4 turns.
  • I can’t recall ever winning a game where Dawnbringer activates twice. If I did, it’s a very contrived and lucky setup.

So it feels like Runic blade’s a 10-turn race to see if I can kill the hero. Dawnbringer’s more like a 5-turn race. That’s a tall order in arena

2 Likes

I shouldnt have to… The point of my post was about my experience in the arena not my views on Dawnbringer

It can be beaten but once it has activated, it will most likely take out a troop or two and then what troops you do have left are weak and then need to smash the barrier of the other team before you can even think about winning.

You also have to take into account that every colour match is helping to fill the damn weapon. There are very few choices offered to the attacking team that can prevent that.

It is simply too strong based on the arena luck of the draw set up rules.

Runic blade takes a little skill to plan ahead, but once you have killed one troop with it, then it does also become pretty overpowered.

I want rid of Dawnbringer on Def, but it will be at a cost of other weapons i am sure. Runic Blade will be one of them as commented via the last twitch stream.

I am convinced that the devs are trying everything and anything in this game to slow players down from farming mass ammounts of trophies.

1 Like

im done with this game. simple things like this, an area of the game I used to enjoy, ruined by some absurd game mechanic.

I made this post more than a month ago. Youve had a lot of time to fix this problem, but dont really seem to care. why?

So, im going to take my spare time, and money, to a less frustrating place.

All you had to do was listen to the f*cking overwhelming outcry over this broken garbage fire. Arena, left broken, while you instant fix other problems within HOURS.

Your game is no longer enjoyable. You have killed it with unreachable power creep.

I’d suggest as an interim fix, Arena is reworked so that the hero (and powercreeped weapons) are removed from it, and instead the players picks from three random Epic troops for their fourth card.

3 Likes

It’s a shame they can’t be bothered with a simple sql command to replace dawnbringer with something else…

2 Likes

Again, that’s a bit presumptuous. You don’t know how they’ve got things structured, and even if it’s just one statement (which is a fair guess, but a guess), a single “command” in an admin window won’t solve anything. They have to change the query at runtime, which means changing the way the server either saves or loads state. That’s a revision that needs to be tested and validated.

All that said, I feel like it’s worth the risk and schedule time they could be spending on other features, to fix this one – arena’s clearly important to a fair number of folks here, and likely significantly important to many of the more casual players who never discover the forum.

5 Likes

Well they did mention in the last Twitch stream that they are going to sort out Dawnbringer and Runic Blade and the arena.

So we wait i guess lol.

Maybe a little presumptuous… The test and validate part did make me laugh…

I’m sure it’s server side data, and once you do the replacement, stop updating the arena opponent table until a real fix is made. Or define a view where dawnbringer is filtered. Lots of easy ways to fix it.

I can’t (and won’t) argue about whether you’re having fun with the game, and whether you should move to somewhere else. I do want to point out something related to your post.

The two quickest fixes that the devs have applied were Fizzbang and the targeting bug. Both of these threatened to completely invalidate the economy of the game, and thus I+2’s ability to stay in business. You’re completely within your rights to question how long it has taken them to deal with Arena, but the other two issues presented close to an existential crisis to the game (and to the studio). They had to be dealt with quickly.

Exactly. It’s a broken mechanic resulting in a huge imbalance. I wonder why it’s taken so long for it to be fixed. I’m slowly running out of things I find truly enjoyable in the game. I’m new and still building my teams. That needs vast amounts of souls
The one thing I loved about Arena was the even playing field. No worries about gaping holes in my collection, this isn’t PVP and we all play with the same troops.
I loved it until I my entire team was one-hit during an arena fight. Then again. Now it’s become an effort to get to 3 fight to make my 1k gold back, not even finish.
Very simply put: players don’t tolerate imbalances. That’s not a threat. Far from it. I have just been playing games for years and I have to wonder why it’s taken the devs so long to fix this. Newer players such as myself without their feet firmly planted in the game tend to move on when such things are left unfixed.
Why not just remove Dawnbringer from Defensive teams for now?

9 Likes

well the thread is two months old now.
i just finished a 4-2 run where i faced 5 dawnbringers. it’s gotta be over 75% dbs in srena now.
the barrier effect is just a spit in the face.
if you’ve got 1.3m souls then more power to you, but why the hell should it ruin my game?

8 Likes

Same concerns brought me to this thread. Too many dawnbreakers in each run. The arena for a long time had variety unlike pvp. 9 times in a run of 24 games is excessive. Yes it can be countered but the game time is excessive. I have had most success with Broken Guard -mmm- 100,000 souls in the forge but the arena is becoming a grind and it shouldn’t.

2 Likes