Concerned For The Future Of The Game

I am glad to see im not the only one who love Justice League team

Hi Macca,

I’m a PS4 player and see the same proliferation of VJM teams that you do. The devs have seen the problem and said that they will be adjusting the Guardians on the next update. That is still some time away, unfortunately, but change is coming. Even if whatever they do has a dramatic effect on Justice’s effectiveness, it will probably take a while for players to realize and adjust, when so many are blindly following the crowd for so long.

I know you’ve said that you don’t want to get stuck playing the same team against this team every single time, but if you’re open to a couple of team suggestions, I have two that work almost every time, though neither are ideal for GW. However, I’ll take a win with one or two troops that fit the colour of the day over a loss with a 4x colour team every time.

My anti-Justice team is Gorgotha, Khorvash, Amira, Manticore. but it needs a lot of traits to be effective. Having impervious on Manticore and mana shield on Amira are absolutely required, the rest are helpful. With this team, charge Amira (either directly or by charging Gorgotha first), then use her to kill Justice. This will be a one-shot kill in all but the most lopsided mismatches. Then use Khorvash to suppress the first two troops while you charge Amira again to one-shot Mab. Then clean up. Manticore is there to mana drain Valk or Justice if they get lucky and charge faster than expected. Even if the enemy gets looping, Gorgotha can take a lot of skull hits and Mab can’t hurt Amira or Manticore. With Manticore at the back, Kraken can’t devour (when Kraken is the enemy lead troop).

My wife’s team is Khorvash, Spirit Fox, Amira, Manticore. Similar idea to mine, except her team has more mana drain and no exploder. With Spirit Fox empowered, you are ready to drain Justice from turn 1. Focus is still on filling Amira to kill Justice first.

Our experience is that these teams work 95% or more of the time to the Justice teams (or others that rely on Blue mana).

6 Likes

Just had to mention, I now have a Famine for these teams.

2 Likes

Is Manticore stun working again? Last time i saw it was useless. Took mana and 1 set of 3 later the troop bar was refilled.

Not what stun is supposed to do?

Stun has nothing to do with mana drain. It also doesn’t take much to refill 7 mana. 1 mana surge gets you 6 right there. If it was a banner color or antriat of another troop, there’s 7 or more.

1 Like

Honestly, if it’s not these cards it’ll be others. What really needs to happen (and probably won’t) is for status-on-four-match to go away entirely, at least for the big three statuses (entangle, stun, frozen).

Or at the very least for those traits to add ‘instead of taking an extra turn’ to them.

I do not even bother to fight the boring meta teams. So unoriginal. It like player can’t think for themself, too stupid to put something together and try. The main ones is EK/MAB and the Kerb/FG. Why bother waste time to fight it ? Same rubbish. Maybe I beat it maybe not but I not give the defending player the point either way. I don’t care if fight the 2 trophy instead - whoop do. So if you are the stupid person who defense these teams because you can’t make something original, this why no body bother play against them. BORING !

2 Likes

I know they are seperate but stun is supposed to slow mana collection - manticores stun does nothing to slow collection.

I think you’re thinking about Disease which halves mana gained. Stun negates the traits of the character.

Yes you’re absolutely right. Although in my defence gorgotha’s stone trait returned instantaneously lol. Thanks for clearing my confusion when testing manticore again.

I have almost totally stopped playing pvp because it has become so repetitive.

I dropped out of a top 15 guild in the hope that I would see a little more variation. It helped to a degree, but the team is so ubiquitous - and has been for so long - that pvp is simply no longer enjoyable.

Thats ok. I can cope without pvp but it does put a hard dent in rewards.

I play on mobile also - and would jump on the phone for a bit of variation. Im now starting to notice the growing prevalence of the ‘unholy trinity’ on mobile too. Is there no escape? (Stopped playing pvp on mobile too, but thats another matter).

Metas change - and this one will too, eventually. Until that happens I am happily taking a back seat.

Broadly, I’m not one to complain (about free games at least) - its clear that the debs are aware of the problem and, I imagine, are working on rectifying it. On the whole I think they do an excellent job. That said, a few of their recent choices have made me baulk hard.

Key example being the quick fixes to single troop defence teams, which were designed to ‘balance the in game economy’ (paraphrasing). All well and good, but this was immediately followed by the 4x speed increase on console and pc - which has a most profound effect on the in game economy! It cannot be a balanced economy if certain parties can fight four times as many battles in an hour, essentially gaining four times as much gold.

1 Like

I didn’t read everything, so maybe this was already said, but Mab is not the problem. Justice is the problem. It’s too easy to get infinite turns with Justice. Same can be said of the other guild troops, but they don’t have quite the same impact of turning everyone into 300atk/300life bulldozers, and the symmetry with Mab just makes this even worse. I’m worried that any attempt to fix this will be misguided resulting in a nerf to Mab that is unneeded. I can win against this team ~80% of the time with several different teams, but the losses are much more frustrating because you literally do not get a 2nd turn.

Famine teams are even more annoying though. Takes them longer to lose, but they make you completely defenseless. The ‘nerf’ of famine did nothing since nobody fills famines magic the conventional way anyway. TDS / Gorg / Ragna / etc still fill it up quite easily.

Famine needs to be toned down and something needs to be done with Justice and maybe the other guild troops. When variations of the same 2 teams make up 90% of the defenses, there is obviously a problem.

1 Like

I agree. Justice and the Guardians are the problem.
Especially Justice and Humility though imo.

Honor and Courage maybe need a slight nerf.

Loyalty is fine. Sacrifice actually blows.

now that i’m phasing away from spawners, yes, nerf all guardians! nerf them to the ground! make them forgotten like bone dragon!

1 Like

Im still pretty dismayed about the BD - he was nerved so hard that he’s become a liability.

2 Likes

Lol. Bd tickles me now.

Ive always found him slightly risky, but casting him now is pretty much suicide - even with 15+ skulls on the board - he’s far more likely to kill the caster than the opponent. : (

2 Likes

@Saltypatra, Would it be possible sometime in the near future for one of the staff to run a report something like what Sirrian did here?

I think this would go a long way toward illustrating how monolithic the PVP meta on console is getting due to the proliferation of Valkyrie/Justice/Mab teams. I really think there is a serious problem here that needs some intervention for the health of the game on console. I’ve been pretty restrained in my calls for developer action on this, but things seem to have gone to another level this week.

8 Likes

I greatly applaud your efforts at attracting attention to this ongoing issue in a diplomatic manner! @Stan is trying to lead you to make your own conclusions by running what should be a normal weekly report the gets briefly discussed internally.

I’ll be direct and forthright: The Console needs 3.0.51 soon, waiting for 3.1 in 3 months time is a ‘poor’ decision.

1 Like

This happened to me earlier. Several skulls on board. Cast him against opponents 30 armor. And still no match.

2 Likes