Class changes should not cost 50 gems, especially during class events

I don’t get the “bad play patterns” argument, maybe I just haven’t thought of it yet.

But to me, part of a thing players don’t like is “we play the same teams vs. the same teams all the time”. That feels like part of why the devs might even bother updating hero classes: to encourage people to consider the hero as a troop. This should encourage more diverse teams.

I didn’t change classes before and I’m not going to change classes now. This is part of why I thought the class event was underwhelming. I didn’t even get to use the class I was leveling.

3 Likes

It looks like there is going to be a class event every week? It’s encouraged to change class for the 4 troop bonus. If we’re going to spend 100+ gems a week to try to get an orb it may be time to eliminate a class change fee.

3 Likes

The Hero is now much more important in game play. The 50 gem charge stifles creativity. Players can’t try new things with classes without either paying a lot in gem fees, or being stuck with a class they don’t like for 24 hours. I would like to see the DEVS either wake the 50 gem fee, or at the very least make class change free for those with VIP 3.

4 Likes

Class events and Bounties are taking out resources from Raid Boss and Invasion which are guild contribution events. I can understand that you’re a business and want to make more events that require gems, however guilds and players will need to figure out how to make a balance for both personal gain and guild gain.

If class events are going to be weekly maybe make class changes free for those days? People will want to change to Rune Priest to level it up but then will end up changing back to their stronger classes for Raid/Invasions.

3 Likes

The Priest hero with the Divine Protector is pretty consistent in PvP even without the divine boost. I agree with @TheIdleOne and others about improving the diversity of teams faced by altering the class change fee.

I absolutely agree with @WandaTheWemic in that the 50 gem change fee stifles creativity, which is one of the things that could massively boost player interest and increase spending in class event shops or other events. Positive reinforcements are stronger motivators than negative ones, and while it would be hard to track or measure, I do feel that removing class change fee → more playing and creativity → desire to spend more in (the increasing number of) event shops, offsetting any reduction in income from changing the class change fee.

While not a VIP player myself, incorporating a reduction or change to the class change fee system into the VIP rewards does actually seem like a good idea to me - a greater incentive to invest in VIP.

The new emphasis on hero classes has definitely placed a strain on the change fee beyond what was already there - I hope this is at least apparent to the devs; perhaps it was their intention - making some change (or a temporary fix, as suggested above, until the ultimate solution is found) would definitely make playing easier. Like @Maxx, the change fee stops me from playing. If I were to pay to play Gems of War, paying 50 gems per change isn’t how I’d like to spend my money (i.e. fair is fair).

It’s hard for me to comment on the nature of Free to Play games and business models. It does seem like with the addition of so many new features, many of which cost gems to best experience, the devs are working to create a game that will be difficult to play properly without spending money -

which of course is not unreasonable. My fear is in finding the balance, and that the player base will be reduced to those willing to spend - and my advice to the devs is to be clear in their expectations and communications, and perhaps to invest in PR (pick me, I’m Australian! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

6 Likes

Changing “x amount of gems” to “free” is beyond impossible. The only thing that matters now is making more gem sinks. Legacy code, blah blah blah.

I don’t make video games for a living, but if I ever tried, I’d damn sure learn how to correctly program one so I don’t then have to explain to my players that I can’t. And if the incompetence is an excuse and not the actual issue, poo on you for lying to us.

5 Likes

I just got shafted by this wonderful hang up today. After Finishing one of my classes I was using yesterday, I switched to another one I use regularly that was in the 90s (this switch was free). Well, I just finished that class a few moments ago, but still have 6h before I can change again for free. So, due to this dumb Gem cost, I have three, technically four, options:

1. Keep playing with a maxed out class. I can still get the normal rewards but I will get nothing for class xp.

2. Pay the 50 Gem fee, so I can level up another class.

3. Call it quits for today, and just come back here and there to collect tributes and such.

4. Keep playing, but only do Treasure Hunt, as that is not battle based, so I’m not losing any class xp, if I want to keep gaming today.

All just Stellar options, don’t you think? I’m basically being punished for playing the game hardcore today. Guess I should have played less/slower, huh? Real nice, guys. You are, more or less, punishing your players for playing your game “too much” in one day. Fantastic.

Edit: I just decided to wait it out. Maybe collect a few tributes over the next few hours, and that’s about it. Also, ironically, had I just played Explore and not PvP, I wouldn’t have to wait around as long, as it would have taken twice the amount of time to max out the class. But, I wanted to help my guild out with trophies and get some glory and that for me, in the process. Serves me right for “playing the game the way I wanted”, huh? Guess I learned my lesson. Pfft.

6 Likes

Or don’t use hero and play for fun and make some gold.

I’m sure not all classes are close to 100 for you and the others may take longer.

I guess it’s a big issue here and I’m just not seeing it.

I think with free change will be worse but we will see I guess. Only time will tell.

We want it all and we want it now!

I repeat myself till the R. I. P. Hero class must be independent because I Hearn already with the mission, so I like to be free to build 10 team with 10 hero each with different classes. You want win money? Sell something that we still not unlock. I don’t pay every time I want change my shoes. Sorry mate for my bad English.

1 Like

Lol. Well, said, man. Well said. Hahaha.

1 Like

Dear 505 games/whoever the publisher is that tells the devs what they’re doing instead of what people with wallets are demanding. Maybe this is @VirginiaApplejack? Here is the pattern of play a class change fee causes:

Today, a friend showed me a Guild Wars team that looked pretty exciting. It required the Mech class, which I’ve already maxed. This put me, a competitive player in a pickle.

I could change classes and help my clan, but then not be able to change back and not get any class XP today. Or I could use a less exciting team and potentially do worse in GW but keep my class XP. 50 gems is a VIP chest, not to be wasted on a class change fee.

I ended up telling myself I didn’t think it’d matter, changed classes, and did GW. It was a good team, I got way more points than usual. Then I started doing my other stuff. This class isn’t optimal for my normal teams, and doesn’t even have many fringe benefits. I was pretty frustrated after 4 or 5 matches. I stopped playing.

So today, instead of binging on GoW for a few hours and eventually caving to the dungeon offers, I’m going to play 4 hours of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Because of the class change fee.

10 Likes

I feel ya, man. I had a similar issue yesterday. I finished a class with 6h until I could change again for free. So, I either: play like normal, and not get any class xp; pay 50 Gems so I can upgrade another class in that time; play Treasure Maps, as I don’t “lose” anything there, or turn the game off for 6h and, at most, just collect hourly Tribute. As I don’t like TH all that much and want to level up my classes, but not pay an insane amount to change it, I chose the last option and just played other games and watch tv for 6h.

You know, I am a pretty active gamer, and sometimes have trouble tearing myself away from a game to do other things. Gems, however, is making that very easy these days. “Oh, I’m out of Sigils for the day? Alright, I’ll go play/watch something else”, “Oh, my class is maxed out and I can’t work on a new one for hours unless I pay an insane fee? Well, see you in a few hours then. I’ll go play something else or go watch Netflix.” Man, that was easy.

So, yeah, thanks to those who made it much easier for me to step away from the game because I keep hitting “walls”. Its now so much easier for me to not play for hours on end and play someone else’s game, or watch a show. I hope that was your intention, because that was it’s result, at least for players like me.

Edit: Also, I should point out that given where my next class is today, I’m pretty sure this will happen again. So, yeah, if your intention by doing stuff like this is for me to take long breaks to not play your game, then your ideas are “working as intend”. Gosh, I don’t know what I’m going to do with all this free time. Lol.

Why are players suddenly making Heroes the most important troop ever? I think I rarely see them in PvP/GW battle before this update. Using exclusively on offense, not defense?

In my experience in GW this week, I’m using Bard all week with no intention to change it. I put hero in all 6 defense team that benefit greatly from this class. I also try to bring my Hero into every offense, but it’s quite hard sometimes to find weapons that both useful as counter and fit the color (or just using yellow for buff). In many matches, hero can’t be included at all because all rooms for counter troops is full, so I have to lose the potential class exp, which is better than losing a match.

I think people might be a bit too depended on heroes when building a team. Heroes are, most of the time, nice addition/support, not a team core. Most of my team in PvP/Explore/Pet are working fine with only 3 troop, so I can easily put hero with Imperial Jewel in last spot and still winning the match at the same efficiency, or even more.

I feel like most player are sticking to Priest class now to maximize thier Divine team efficiency with Divine Protecter weapon. But personally, I don’t like gem spawning weapon, and I find Thingamabob working better anyway with it almost full AoE, with no class dependence. Krystenex also work as front troop, for extra-turn generator and full AoE, with Hero-Imperal Jewel in last. And Divine Protecter/Thingamabob/Krystenax are all the same Blue/Green color.

1 Like

“Something, something, missing opportunities comparable to complex freudian feelings of abandon…”

Now seriously, i think people just want to max out stuff without realising it’s not something very important since there are few classes playable. Well, i give it can be a problem in GW, but outside that, in the other three weeks most people wouldn’t bother with it to some extent.

Personally i keep fooling around with Archer just because it’s closer to level 100, but the rest of my classes will surely take a long time to be upgraded.

1 Like
  1. The devs want the heroes to be very important.
  2. This update added a lot of new talents that can be unlocked on hero classes, which can make them very important. As such players want to play around with the new features introduced by the devs.
  3. People are finally catching on that the buffed gem spawner weapons are quite good now in the right team layouts.
  4. The hero is the most important troop in Raid and Invasion (usually). Even more so now with the extra talents that need to be leveled up.

The devs have done a good job making a lot of the hero classes viable, but a poor job making them accessible besides pick 1 class and stick with it.

5 Likes

Because there are a lot of really good weapons and classes now. Mang with Archer is great for raids and invasions, Divine Protector with Priest class is great for pet battles and pvp, dragonguard is really good with Dragon Soul, Bard class is good for yellow GW, Mech is good for casual pvp. There is also talent trees that make some classes better for fighting different teams like Archer is good against Psion to entangle him at the start of the battle.

1 Like

You’re misinterpreting, I think.

Right now, Hero is core to late game teams. If you run Divines with Ubastet, Dawnbringer or Divine Protector slot perfectly. Several Hero class talents make this team even better. If there’s a more optimal setup, it’s niche enough I wouldn’t be discussing it openly. You can build a lot of variants without the hero, but if you haven’t maxed the class why?

For most other teams you’re right: the hero still only becomes a key player on a handful. Whatever.

But there’s also speculation. In every F2P I’ve played, expanding one form of content was a precursor to new things that made it shine. In this game in particular, “balance” is often shaky. Some new Divine troop could interact with a weird, niche hero setup in a way that is powerful, but only people who have the thing maxed are going to benefit. There’s value in being ready for new content.

Then there’s also “the thrill of achieving “maxed” again”. It takes a lot of hero XP to max them all out. For a lot of endgamers, that’s one of the few goals left. I don’t mind knocking some win % off my PvP team to train up a “useless” hero class. In this case, I was mad because I needed a class I’ve maxed for the GW team I wanted to try, but that meant using the hero on my PvP team wouldn’t get me any XP. An alternative and also frustrating case is, “I switched to a class so I could gain hero XP, but now I have to pay a fee to set up my GW team”.

In short, how you play and perceive the game isn’t necessarily the only right way to go about it. I’m going to go back to an unanswered question:

The reason for the cost of changing classes is to “prevent bad play patterns”. I don’t know what those play patterns look like. I’m curious what you can do with free class changes that’s so destructive to the game, it costs a VIP chest to change.

How do you define being a “core” is? If you mean trying to get hero in every team for class exp, sure, hero is the core. But if you mean you can’t win any fight without bringing hero in (or win but not as fast), still can’t if hero is in the wrong class, so hero is the core? No, that just mean you’re making terrible team that too independent on hero.

In my opinion, hero is the true core card only in Raid, on every other modes, you can not use hero at all and things won’t be that different, unless you can’t get class exp, so it’s better to just bring hero with Imperial Jewel to the last slot.

And that exactly what I do on every battle since 3.5 update, except on some tough War battles. Because I’m changing class quite a lot on non-GW week, I got a few class at max level already. Imperial Jewel are great backup when there are troops with <10 life left, and it usually always full.

I’m not against free class change fee, as it would be a lot more convenient. But I also can’t understand why players can’t play the game if their hero is champion level 100 (you always do that before this update?) or in wrong class. Changing class should always be for actually using them. And if your problem is you can’t build some reliable teams that use same single class to use in every modes, then you might got bigger problem than those 50 gems fee.

2 Likes

#DropThe50

3 Likes

I just came to look through some posts relating to the fee. I was sure it was a subject that had been asked before, just didn’t know it would be this big of a topic or this amount of posts. I do think it is unfair of the Dev’s to say they will not revisit this issue.

I personally don’t think they need to eliminate the 50 gem fee but reduce it to something more proportionate to the amount of times a player is going to want to change classes now. It should also be at a point where it actually encourages spending gems. I think this point is more likely around 15-20 gems. I don’t think Dev’s can see the forest through the tree’s sometimes when it come to making something cheaper in order to encourage spending. More people switching, more often = more gems removed from game faster. This will lead to more gem purchases and revenue in their pocket. The people that tend to spend money on a game of this type is going to be the newer people who don’t have a horde of gems to begin with.

As it stands you can most certainly play with 1 class change per day free. On class event days you swap over to that class, Save your sigils for the next day or even Sunday if you want to do other things on the other days. Does this reduce your playtime and enjoyment?..yes, and if the gem cost was lower would change classes and pay it? I know I would at least here and there.

The one conflict I see is during GW when a class event is on a GW day and your offense team requires a particular hero class.

If you want the fee changed or eliminated you must give them an incentive/alternative way to do it and not just whine you want it for nothing. This is a business and they are here to produce profits. Also remember they don’t care if you play 5 minutes or 18 hours a day, what they care about is revenue generation.

#my2cents