Card Redesign

Add me to the list of people unhappy with the new design. Most importantly, I can barely see how much armor and life the troops have left. It was way to hard to see what effects troops currently have, whether they have full mana or not. Plus all the other listed problems. Just a complete fail.

3 Likes

Very simple, game is unplayable now so … DELETED IT
Am done with devs completely ignoring their gamebase

6 Likes

They’re not ignoring it. They dont care, so they dont bother looking at it.
You have to possess concern to ignore things.

3 Likes

I’ve given this a few days to make sure that I’m not just annoyed that they moved my cheese. The issues have been detailed above by others in this thread and the accessibility issues thread so I will keep my feedback simple.

Health and physical issues

1. All the clutter and flashing makes me queasy after about 30 minutes of playing.
  2. I cannot read the mana counter and enemy stats during battle more than half the time.
  3. Having the enemy stats on the right and hero stats on the left during battle is triggering migraines after an hour of playing.

Recommended Fixes

1. Put the mana counter back on the mana circle in white
  2. Set the Armor, attack and life counters to white text on all hero and enemy troops in battle
  3. Put the new ribbon for the enemy troops on the left during battle to be consistent with the hero troops.
  4. Make the spell indicator thinner and static to eliminate unnecessary flashing and movement

Things I like

1. I like the blue indicator to show spell is ready to cast
  2. I like the mana ribbon

@Kafka @Bramble

5 Likes

It doesn’t even look nice. There are “rules”, of a sort, for using color.

4 Likes

Wow do I beg to differ. They look like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack, now. A bunch of bright colors that, more often than not, would not normally be used together.

I tend to prefer muted colors, as bright colors give me a comic book vibe. But that is a much more subjective thing. I can live with them deciding to go bright. But dang, if you are going to go bright, at least make sure the colors don’t clash.

I have been playing for a long time, so I could even put up with the unicorn puke, tacky, design. The inability to see any important information? That’s going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

11 Likes

No, maybe put it on the ribbon. But it definitely needs to be in white, and not just for readability…
Because most Troops have two or more colors, the Mana Level is necessarily (and arbitrarily) shown using one of the Troop’s Mana Colors (and specifically in the canonical “color order” of: Blue > Green > Red > Yellow > Purple > Brown). To a new player, this might suggest that it is advantageous to match that color specifically, when that is often NOT the case. For example:

• Paladin shows a Green mana level, but its preferred color is actually Yellow (for “Air Link” trait)
  • Basilisk shows a Blue mana level, but its preferred color is actually Brown (for “Petrification” trait)
  • Diamantina shows a Blue mana level when its preferred color is … um, Skulls? (“Diamond Aura” trait).

Mana Level is just a number and is NOT tied to whatever color of Mana originally provided the energy (unlike Puzzle Quest) – that’s why (for example) Wraith can steal Mana from non-Blue enemy troops.

No, it definitely works better on the right side of an enemy card because it keeps the overall layout symmetric. (Now if you want to be pedantic, inspecting an enemy card should likewise be flipped, to match how the card is shown in the battle screen.)

I actually like it too. It’s neat to see some visual style actually ADDED back into the game for once, but it simply must not interfere with communicating important information.

5 Likes

Barely returning player after quitting for the winter…

Can I ever return to this game without devs actively destroying it?
Last time I returned the devs sank and cut the cables on the challenges I was in the middle of working towards -REPLACING- them and nuking player progress instead of just adding their “new” mode beside it…

And now this… trying to give me goddamn seizures with the flashing effects overkill and making it practically impossible for me to read ANYTHING due to the tiny font on the nigh hidden numbers.

Hardly anything here is readible… do you even WANT players at all?

Holy hell man… Really reconsidering returning to this game now.
-Wskill.

Just in case you missed it during your hiatus, there are plans to increase readability and accessibility and such supposedly for the next update. We’ll see how it turns out of course, but hopefully things will look at least a little better Soon ™.

I did look that up but it only speaks about making fonts bigger and some color stuff, I am getting serious headaches (actual) and mini seizures from the non static effects aswell…

GOW was one of those games that was playable for me for not doing that and now it does making it impossible for me to play without health problems.

I hope in the update it adds the option to use classical static display, we need the option because I cannot play otherwise.

1. The mana orb is too small for that, especially with the flashing aura
  2. Won’t work. Stats are buffed or debuffed. Buffed shown in green, when your stats are little less than the default they are shown in yellow, and when they are decreased by much they are shown in red.
  3. drop the stupid mana banner!
  4. drop the spell ready indicator on the side. The blue glowing aura around the mana orb is enough.