Balance for Extra Turn spam via 4-of-a-kind?

Facing teams that are built around Extra Turn spamming is obnoxious (specifically, builds that create/convert gems to get a lot of 4-of-a-kinds). In a turn-based game, not getting to take your turn for one or two turn cycles is acceptable, but not getting to take your turn for 5 or 6+ cycles is absurd.

My suggestion would be to reduce the chance of getting an Extra Turn from 4-of-a-kinds from 100% to 50%. 5-of-a-kind can stay at 100%, as can spells that specifically grant an Extra Turn.

Alternatively, have diminishing returns on Extra Turn chances (from 4 or 5-of-a-kinds) that reset at the start of each turn. 100% chance for the first match; then 75%; then 50%; 25%; 0% (or stay at 25%?). Maybe even stagger the 4-match and 5-match so that 5-matches have a 25% higher chance than 4.

Before the comments recommend the Freeze status effect, I just lost a match with a team full of Freeze status spells because the enemy got 8 turns in a row. I cannot freeze an enemy if I cannot take my turn.

Traits that have a 25% chance to Freeze an enemy at the start of my turn are also useless if I never get to start my turn. Even if that trait triggered from the start of every enemy turn it would still be useless because 4-of-a-kinds grant an extra move, not an extra turn (start of turn trigger does not re-apply).

This is fair balance Iā€™m after. If youā€™re against this itā€™s likely because youā€™re exploiting this crutch mechanic and donā€™t want to have to think of a new one. I get it; I spent months farming up ClassXP and Diamonds (for a specific Mythic troop) for a build around the Dragonā€™s Eye only for Dragonā€™s Eye to be nerfed a week after I finished the build.

You can argue that ā€œlifeā€™s not fair,ā€ and I can argue that it works both ways; it can either remain unfair for players who are sick of not getting a turn, or be unfair to those who rely on the mechanic.

If 5+ ofs were still guaranteed, wouldnā€™t that just entrench the sorts of teams you donā€™t want to seeā€”the kinds of teams that convert the whole board turn after turn (Gobtruffle for instance, who often makes 5s [and who gets extra turns as a goblin anyway])?

If there wasnā€™t a guarantee that a 4-of worked, it would completely take away a personā€™s ability to maintain board control, too, unless he or she reduced all his or her teams to being those who convert the boards into 5-ofs, too.

I would also hate having to take every 4 skull opportunity just because Iā€™d be taking damage otherwise, only to lose my turn and give the mana I actually want to the opponent.

And how do you maintain the board without an empowered converter? Pray thereā€™s a 5-of on the starting board? Thatā€™s a lot less likely than being able to make a 4-of.

What happens when human 4-ofs fail time after time, and CPU 4-ofs donā€™t? Aw, shucksā€”just bad luck? Iā€™m not for that at all.

The less luck involved with whether the board is mine or the computerā€™s, the better, in my book.

3 Likes

The AI is ā€˜supposedā€™ to occasionally make a 3 match instead of a ā€˜smart moveā€™, thus breaking the huge extra turn spam. Iā€™m sure the devs tweaked that setting to ā€˜super annoying loopy bastard never-missā€™ setting by accident :unamused:

1 Like

How about this: 4 & 5 matches can grant extra moves all day, BUT the turn ends when a spell is cast (unless the spell grants an extra turn). If the spell creates/converts gems and causes 4 or 5 matches, the mana is awarded but not an extra move/turn.

This way, mana can be farmed up, 4 & 5 skulls can be used up, and you still get to finish your turn by casting, but the game isnā€™t taken hostage.

I wouldnā€™t mind a 10 extra turn limit on the computer only. Then Iā€™d have reason not to retreat instantly when the goblin spamming starts.

1 Like

Yet, for the current Tower of Doom, Iā€™ve been using:

Forest Troll
King Gobtruffle
Queen Beetrix
(Anything Else)

The reason for the ā€œAnything Elseā€ in fourth place is that, frankly, by the time the first three have got going, they can loop almost indefinitely unless you get very unlucky on the gem falls.

Iā€™ve gone through high level ToD rooms without the opposition even getting one turn.

Now, of course, were I to be facing that, Iā€™d probably be yelling ā€œOh come ON!ā€ and then chucking the phone down until, eventually, they stop spamming the extra turns or I die.

Iā€™d then start using a team with Freeze Traits to stop it happening again.

So, unless you want to cripple teams like that for yourself, you canā€™t expect the Devs to cripple the opposition when it happens to you.

5 Likes