No more extra turn on 4 gem matches

Know this will be quite controversial but with how easy it is to create gems and cycle, which is especially a problem in PvP, think 4 gem matches should not give an extra turn anymore.
We have quite some troops that give extra turns and hourglass gems. 5 gem matches should still give an extra turn and are still easily doable as well.
Though cycling can still happen it will be slightly harder to keep the cycle going then.

For the elementalist class it would also be good to only have it activate on 5 gem matches or higher and not 4.

Do believe this can be an easy solution for a big problem with minimum effort. As only 2 things need to be adjusted. The code that gives an extra turn on 4 gem matches being changed and the Elementalist class having activation only on 5 or higher gem matches.

Controversial might be an understatement…

The problem isn’t so much the Extra Turn itself, but the ability to chain them together via specific Troops (which is why the meta is currently dominated by Stellarix and Wand of Stars, two cards that reliably generate Extra Turns AND feed into each other). This implies it’s not the Extra Turn that’s really a problem, but those specific troops.

I hear that originally, matches of 4 gems also used to trigger a Mana Surge, but they changed that quite early on.

However, THIS might be a good idea! Why are there not any traits that activate only upon matching 5 Gems?

2 Likes

It’s something i wouldn’t like to see either. Still think a banlist would be best option for PvP but alot of people mentioned they wouldn’t want that either. So gave things more thought and only other solution that could come up with would be this. Not the best but at least alot of teams would still be viable without nerfing anything either unless it’s really broken.

Just hate how troops are nerfed to oblivion because of PvP. Which has heavily impacted the Journey event and also other events are less fun to do now.

How about lowering the chance for an extra turn instead of completely eliminating it? I’m not sure what % would be ideal but it wouldn’t be out of line in this game. I mean gems already has traits that have a less than 100% chance of activating on gem matches. Plus the freeze effect isn’t a 100% chance either and that has been around forever.

I can already see the threads about “how the AI cheats” because of how the RNG shook out and confirmation bias from the complainer(s). E.g., when the player didn’t get an extra turn despite multiple 4-matches in a single move and the AI promptly gets three or four in a row and nukes the player.

5 Likes

Correction: Freeze has always been 100% but it is applied per color – namely, if the color matches a Troop who is Frozen then the Extra Turn is denied. On the other extreme, if you match a color unusable by any Troop on your team then the Extra Turn is always granted, even if the entire team is Frozen.

My suggestion has always been to limit it by “turn” round counter. So on round 1 each side can only get 1 extra turn. Then on round 2 both sides can get 2 turns… round 5 both can get up to 5 extra turns. Basically you’re not removing any thing just scaling it so one side doesn’t get lopsided in beginning.

This seems to be the worst idea ever on this game.

Even though you’re trying to make the game better which can be appreciated, it’s going into a completely wrong direction and would end the game within minutes after applying. All the top guilds (approximately 10-15 per platform) would quit forever immediately without any hesitation.

If that’s your intention, to shut everything down, that’s the way to go. Otherwise don’t ever mention anything like this ever again. Just my 2 cents …

5 Likes

Might work as well and wouldn’t hurt players as much but is probably harder to implement. Which is a bit of a problem of course. Would be interesting if possible though ^^

We should not be changing the fundamentals of the game or troops to fix an issue the Dev’s made with changes they made to one game mode.
Look at the consequences of them changing the Journey troop because of PvP.
This would have a similar but likely much larger impact.

3 Likes

As mentioned before to someone here would much rather see some kind of banlist for anything outside the Central Spire in PvP.

Am just thinking of more potentiap solutions that might be easier to implement faster without needing to nerf troops.

Having 4 gem matches not give an extra turn isn’t something i’d like to see but it wouldn’t hurt the game much either. As 5 gem matches and higger still count. Have been keeping track of how dedicated teams will be ruined by it or not. Such as the Nexus team i’m using. Also looked at Wand of Star teams. For myself see that dedicated teams would still be very viable while Wand of Star teams are less effective. Goblin teams also become more unique if this was implemented.

So overall it’s not the best solution but it is something that can fix issues without nerfing troops more.

Let’s suppose new player doing world quests and coming up to the one with Sword’s Edge knight enemies (I think it was around level 28)…can you walk us through the battle with, hmm, let’s say, L32 player under your proposed extra turn system?

Or how about 8,000 power team facing 19,000 power team in guild wars…can you walk us through that under your proposed system?

4 Likes

I’ve got no idea which teams you exactly mean but can see the problem with barrier teams. As it’s harder to break shields, do damage before a new shield comes up without an extra turn and lower level against opponent.
The only extra turn on 5 or more gem matches make the reworked campaigns also harder to do for newer players. Though giving newer players quicker acces to troops that give extra turns already fixes that like “Daughter of Time” for example. Not game breaking to give it to beginning players and does give them a more fair playing field.

Guild Wars is bit hard to respond to cause of potential changes. Before that it was mostly impossible at that level gap anyway. Must admit with extra turns it made it more doable but wasn’t a guarantee either.

If there are more potential but controversial ideas to fix PvP will post those as well. Until the looping issue is fixed will share my ideas. This is the section on the forum for it after all.

Though if you can help brainstorm and come up with something that’s appreciated as well. The more people come up with ideas, and not just shut other their ideas down, the more devs can work with to see what is viable without the need to nerf troops.

1 Like

We have a thread on ideas to correct the PvP mode itself. Here’s the thread: Fixing PvP (the mode itself)

I’ll put the idea in as “Make extra turns harder in PvP”. Honestly, it’s possible to have a nerf only happen in a specific mode. For example, a troop or class could be weaker in PvP but function normally everywhere else. Yes that idea is in the thread already! If not, it will be shortly. I need to look over the list again.

Anyway, feel free to comment on ideas we already have, expand on them, or post new ones!

2 Likes

That’s what the “freeze” status effect does. Don’t like the extra turns? Freeze your opponents! Lots of troops from GLACIAL PEAKS are great at this!

Hyperbole as that was, I’m reminded of the previous suggestion for “change most/all spells with random effects to Choose effects”.

Um, yeah. Because of course the biggest thing we want is for a Dullahan to be allowed to CHOOSE whether it should target the first Ally or first Enemy.

1 Like

Problem is how easy freeze can go away as well. You’s need to make an entire team around it as well to make it more viable. Which hinders creativity for teams.

It’s indeed on paper a good counter but in reality barely does anything unless really lucky even when making a team around it.

2 Likes

I’m just saying – it’s a way to avoid the chain of opponent extra turns.
(Fire damage seems to have been THE way to go - it’s gotten me to level 180 already.)

Triple Medal of Orpheus anyone?

Why do we not yet have an ability to randomly (25%?) Freeze a foe at the start of each turn…

1 Like