As Requested by a Dev: A Thread about Devs' Actions/Inactions

As originally requested in the OP, it’s preferable to avoid ad hominem or any other behaviours that may provide the Devs with an excuse to lock this thread, even if the current outburst is directly related to a statement by a Dev that may be part of the cycles mentioned before. The last time we heard a similar claim was in October 2019:

As highlighted above, the community has evolved in a particular direction, noticeable by the veterans especially since Sirrian took (understandably) a step back. This is unlikely to be a coincidence, and relates to the recurrent incidents where there was a lack of soft-skills when communicating to maintain the same ‘Sirrian’ degree of ‘casualness’ in the interactions between the company and the playerbase.

If/once the forum interactions by the Devs maintain a certain level of decorum/objectivity (as suggested by a Dev above), the playerbase will hopefully adapt accordingly to mirror said decorum (to an extent), and those of us who do not will have little grounds to complain if we get banned or if our posts get deleted, once such bans and deletions are made from a consistent, objective, all-players-are-finally-being-treated-equally standpoint.

Ad hominems aside, I’m glad this debate is out there and hopefully will be remembered by all parties when interacting with each other, irrespective of the path ahead.
:relaxed: :pray: :vulcan_salute:

Cleaned up the cursing. Please behave responsibly while posting to these forums. This includes treating one another, and the devs, with respect, and also avoiding obscenities.

Thank you,
Lyya

11 Likes

New update, still translation mistakes of Deep king and Mershark not fixed!

Its now 14 months that I alert the devs about the mistake in the description text of Deep king and Mershark who both deal TRUE splash damages and not just normal splash damages as wrongly displayed in the french version.

To know that apparently the Italian version have the exact same problem as @samyaza wrote in this thread will maybe decide them to finally review that again with the translators or coders?

The sad part is that any people who dont even speak one word of french could still easily see the mistake translation! How? All troops who deal true damage have the word “true” written somewhere in the spell description in the english version. In french its the same but the word “true” is called “purs”. So Euralyie, Khorvash and all other troops who deal true damages have this word “purs” written somewhere in the spell description. Now it just take 1 minute to see that Deep king and Mershark dont have this word in their spell description in the french version.

Edit: ok, I have severly edited this post to make it more civilised. Not easy when the civilised method dont work during 14 months.

4 Likes

I asked perfectly politely several times…they are totally incompetent for not fixing that in 14 months, its their complete fault, not mine.

It’s NOT their fault. They aren’t in charge of fixing typos, or translating text to other languages, or making code changes. They’re messengers. They can tell the person in charge of those issues to fix something until they’re blue in the face but it’s not like they have the power to fire them if it doesn’t get done. They’ve done their job which is to report it to who it needs to be reported to - multiple times.

Redirect your anger elsewhere because attacking them specifically isn’t getting it done any faster and you’re wasting your breath.

6 Likes

Bro, chill out. It’s not the end of the world.

Yes, its their total fault. I asked them to be able to directly exchange with the braindead french translator but I didnt even receive an answer! Talk about a level of professional consciousness… of course, it would give too good results like that so better to stay in this mediocre system that do not work.
Imagine that: people who dont speak a word of french receiving french translation mistakes in english and sending them in english to the french translator! wow! How smart and efficient that is…very clever…
If they have not been able to make understand the translator about this mistake, its their own fault! Its also their own fault to not try a 2nd time differently when they see that a customer keep alerting about the same issue for 14 months.
And its again their own fault to not be alarmed when someone in this thread write that the italian version have the exact same issue.
Not answering to customers over 14 months about something is already a very serious fault. Not being able to fix this mistake in 14 month is another serious fault that show they are incompetent.
Thats my experience with them…people reading this thread can agree or not, it wont change the fact that I describe something that happened.

Look, I personally don’t understand how it could possibly be that difficult to fix a few blatant translation issues & typos. It’s text. You replace it with other (correct) text. I get it. I think you’re well with your rights to be upset that something thus “simple” hasn’t been fixed.

My beef is that you’re making 2 people’s lives miserable - 2 people who DO NOT have the direct control over solving your problem. Again, they can’t directly make the change. They can’t penalize anyone responsible for the change for not doing it. They don’t have any control over prioritizing what gets done except to provide their feedback to the people who do make those decisions.

You can complain all day every day to the guy frying the French fries at McDonald’s for minimum wage that you think the 20-piece nuggets are insanely priced. But guess what, your problem will never be solved because he has no power or authority to get you what you want.

At this point I couldn’t blame them for ignoring you because they’ve explained 100 times that it’s been reported & is out of their hands, yet you keep acting like they’re lying about that & that they are personally responsible for it. You are personally attacking 2 people who can’t do what you want them to do.

And as far as putting you in touch with their translator, as belligerent as you are about this, that can’t possibly end well. Even if it didn’t break all kinds of privacy, legal & moral codes. The translator isn’t really an employee of the company. Should I expect that they should hand me your email address or phone number so I can talk to you outside of the anonymity of the game? You don’t see the absurdity of your request to get in contact directly with their translator?

8 Likes

I’m probably going to regret injecting myself into this conversation, but I feel like I can’t let this go without some voice of reason. I don’t say anything here lightly.

I’m of the opinion this thread (and others like it) need to be nuked off this forum, and some of the people posting along with it. I’ve been on the internet for decades and I’ve been a moderator several times. You are lucky to be able to say half the things you do on this official forum. I won’t call anyone out because that’s not who I am.

Devs - Sadly, I agree with your assessment. I think it is best to continue with your plan of action at this point.

GoW has not only attracted people that like puzzle games (who can see the end game and make plans to achieve it) but people with gambling addictions.

The response to the accidental release of a Mythic in the drop tables proves that. Ruthlessly badgering employees, like they owe you something?? REALLY?!?

The response to 5.1 proves that. It’s scaffolding for the future of the game. It has to be done at some point, why not now?

Sadly, this is what happens to games that rely on “surprise mechanics”. People are treating this game as uber competitive and they will say and do anything they can to get their edge. It’s only gotten worse over time, so not sure how you fix that.

5 Likes

It will be solved when the community managers decide that enough is enough. We surely see a lot of bashing towards Salty and Kafka, but on the other side of the coin it’s apparently FINE if an user bashes another user AS LONG AS they do so in favor of the devs/game…

Respect is something that should be exchanged freely, not something we bargain with like:
“I’ll only respect this guy/girl/skeleton if I agree with their opinions. And I can insult or dismiss them right away if I do so to praise the status quo of the devs/game.”

2 Likes

Of course these 2 people can explain again in a different way to the french translator the problem. The simple fact that a player keep alerting them about that should light an alarm in their head. And now even more when someone playing the italian version write there is the same problem on this language. But no, there is absolutely zero will showed by them. To not be able to fix something that simple in 14 months just show how incompetent all these people really are. Am I asking for a way to build a space ship to Mars or?

And no, I dont see anything stupid to get in touch with the french translator. My proposition to the devs was to simply send him 1 or 2 times per year the whole mistakes I have found in the translation. (I have many others that wait but I decided to stop transmitting them until this one is not fixed). I would have been able to do that in french with much more efficiency than their actual method (as showed with this 14 months not fixed prob).
So receiving 1 or 2 times per year a full list of mistakes in the translation is nothing too excessive. But I didnt even received an answer (positive or negative) lol again what a profesional concsiousness of the highest level toward a player who take on his time to report translation errors.

So to resume, as long as I will have as only choice to interact with Kafka or Saltypatra here to report the french translation mistakes that I find, I will have no reason to blame someone else than these two.
For my experience, they have done an absolute crap job handling the problem I reported since now 14 months. If others had good experience with them, its wonderful for them but I couldnt care less.

1 Like

By having laws that forbide F2P games with lootbox involving real money.
I will repeat again: a video game need to have a fixed price at release, all the rest is a cancer in the video game world.

For someone who hates free 2 play games you sure like to spend a lot of time on a forum for one. If f2ps are so bad why do you play Gems of War?

2 Likes

I am saving a lot of money - no time / movtivation for games with fixed prices - Thanks Gems! :grin:

We already had this discussion a few days/weeks ago so no need to start all over again. You always look at what I write without understanding that I am talking about the whole picture where my little case have no importance. But Im happy to see you so much concerned with all that I write here (which btw is not that much…some months its not even 1 message…but after each update released, I have to write about The deep king text still not fixed so you see me here a little more).

I actually had to go back and now I remember. You actually said ‘I don’t know’. Yes, now I remember the hypocrisy.

1 Like

It’s a shame Ricky isn’t playing much still, because he could remind them how they are Legally Required to adequately translate the game in French since it is for sale in Canada / Quebec.

Quebec

Quebec ascertains French language rights to its residents and mandates the use of French in a number of business situations. According to the Charter of the French Language, all catalogues, brochures, labels, computer software, warranty certificates, directions for use, registered trademarks, commercial directories or any similar publications must be produced in French.

5 Likes

I didn’t want to post again to add more gasoline to this thread’s current fire (I think the current complaint is blown out of proportion, for the record, even though I do agree the terse non-response is a problem more than it is “fun”), but this has really stuck in my craw ever since reading it.

The post really seems to blame the behavior of addicts as if they acted that way in a vacuum. They didn’t. They’re pushed into that behavioral zone by a video game designed to take advantage of their worst selves in order to profit from pushing those impulsive buttons. It’s predatory. It’s abusive. And so abuse is met with abuse.

If this game has attracted — and profited by — people with gambling problems, that is a problem caused by the game, its business practices, and is by design. It was avoidable — it is possible to have a fun puzzle game that doesn’t rely on addicts to stay afloat.

I don’t mean to excuse people’s bad behavior. I do think people can manage to be civil on these boards, so any time they don’t is disappointing.

But I’m certainly not going to exonerate the game for the toxic elements of its community, either — it’s ITS community, and it has the one it deserves, as it’s the one it cultivated and bred into the bruised-and-boiled teenager that it is.

12 Likes

I’m just quoting this because it’s a nice and simple way to sum it up.

We don’t have people who puts some of their time and efforts towards good things related to the game except for a very few occasional exceptions. The ones who did it before are gone because their lives moved on, or because they gave up as it wasn’t rewarding to play anymore after the game changed.

People: “You can’t have a different opinion, if you have one you should shut up! You should %$#@ yourself, you !@%@##*&!”
Also people: “The community is so toxic!”

2 Likes

Or maybe because there is so much negativity in this forum that players just think that it is not worth to start new topics.

1 Like