I’ve played a LOT of Arena on the consoles and it was my go-to game mode from levels 1-120 before I bothered with PVP. Here are some issues I have and some suggested fixes:
1. The Hero is worthless - I’m level 220-something and my Hero’s attack is 7. This is less attack than most or all of the common-rarity troops. All monsters seemed to get buffed in 1.0.8 but the Hero was left behind.
- Suggestion: Hero attack needs a serious buff to make the player-character more ‘legendary’ and worth using. The fixes required to make the Hero worth using could be a forum post unto itself. I’d suggest a buff to 9 or 10 attack (at level 100).
2. Rewards - the rewards for doing 7 (or 8) matches are not in line with doing an equivalent amount of games of other game types, namely PVP and challenges. In 7 games I could have 700 souls if I farmed challenges or 10k+ in gold doing PVP. These modes are also low risk compared to Arena.
- Suggestion: Winning all Arena matches should award 1 random Arcana Traitstone. This would make Arena a worthwhile method for farming traitstones. No Celestial, Minor, Major, or Runic traitstones please. Those are fairly easy to come by in comparison to Arcane Traitstones.
3. Traits - The arena is supposed to be a ‘level playing field’ however enemy troops are routinely traited up with all or most traits giving the AI an unfair advantage. I find myself building an Arena team and then checking to see if I can trait any of my team up to try and level what is supposed to be an already-level playing field.
- Suggestion: Remove all traits from both sides or give all traits to both sides?
4. Buying troops - I’m not sure I see the problem with buying troops you use in the Arena if you win all of the games, except right now the cost to do so is exorbitant. 150+ gems to buy 3 crummy non-legendary troops?
- Suggestion: 2 gems to buy common-rarity troops, 3 gems for rare, and 5 gems for ultra-rare. If you have all of these troops already leveled up, it should cost like 10 gems to get all 3. In fact, just get rid of the gem cost to level ratio and have the troops be purchased at level 1 (instead of 10). Gems are a sufficiently rare resource that this will not unbalance the economy.
I want to play more Arena but the risk/reward for time invested is seriously out of whack right now. Arena shouldn’t be a ‘for noobs only’ game mode.