And the clear winner of 1.07 is.....WEBSPINNER!

Agreed. Also, nerfing team bonuses for people running duplicate cards would be a slap in the face to those of us who were the least lucky when opening their chests, got a bunch of duplicates, and are trying to make the best of it. I have yet to catch even a single copy of the vast majority of legendary cards; if I stumble upon a duplicate instead of a new card, don’t tell me I can’t even use it.

You can use it just as freely as you could use your hero, you would just acquire no bonus from it, it’s not the end of the world.

Lvl 10 Kingdom bonuses would still apply, and any bonuses from 2-3 unique mobs would still work fine, but there really shouldn’t be a bonus for lacking the creativity in team construction to just use the same creatures 4x in a row.

So you got 4 of the same legendary, big deal, make a team of it if you want, but the bonuses of +6 attack or +3 magic really seem undeserved in such cases. They aren’t needed to compete, they just make competing easier.

I completely disagree. You’re actually losing out from not using all the colours of the gems. And there’s no lack in creativity, just a desire to try out different settings. By putting these restrictions, you’re just saying that people should not experiment with several identical troops, even though it’s the first time there’s actually a good incentive for it. Right now I’m running an all-green goblin line-up than I would never have considered before the patch because of LACK of efficiency granted by having them all using the same colours. And I’m having a ton of fun. Remove that and the whole experiment part would not work, as I would not be pushed to try all kind of different teams. I always thought duplicates were idiotic before, now the game has actually given me a reason to give them a chance, and I think that’s really cool.
As I said, I just don’t like it when the game forces me into a specific type of play.
(Oh and my baby goblin team just an opponent with 4 Webspinners, without losing anyone, so clearly, having duplicates did not benefit that player at all. I was super thankful though! ^^)

As in, even if he hits a 4 as often as webspinner does (which he doesn’t), he completely refills himself much less frequently. Try to keep up.

Right, try to keep up too, we apparently don’t meet the same troops at all. I meet Jarls by pack of 2 usually every two or three fights, and they loop like crazy. Just because you don’t experience it doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Hell, I have zero problem with Webspinner, even when there’s 4 of them.

The troops that generate 2 color gems are less likely (statistically) to generate loops …

That’s why Webspinner preferred over Vexonia, even though Vexonia would be considered more “deadly” due to the true damage, it just doesn’t loop reliably due to the 2 color gems generated :confused:

I am 11 out of 11 on beating the 15 attack 3 and 4 Webspinner teams :stuck_out_tongue:

I have yet to comment on the frequency with which I run into Jarls, so I’m not sure where you get that idea.

I don’t see a meaningful discussion emerging from our exchange, so I will wish you well.

Sentineled for punking my win % against those guys.

What about a limit to the number of turns you can take before the opponent gets a move, like 5? If you are in a non-infinite situation how often are you going to make more than 4 consecutive matches of 4+ gems?

This wouldn’t count cascades, you could still watch any number of matches fall into place after a single move, but it would prevent the “death by a thousand paper cuts”

1 Like

I have been pondering that as well.

Another option would be to reduce the effectiveness of chained actions. Full mana for your first move and resulting cascades. Each time you get to move again (e.g. due to a 4-match), mana gained from matches during that move is incrementally reduced by one until your opponent gets a move in.

As an example, first move is a red 4-match that nets 4 red mana. Second move is a yellow 3-match cascading into a blue 4-match, resulting in (3 - 1) = 2 yellow mana and (4 - 1) = 3 blue mana. Third move is another blue 4-match, resulting in (4 - 2) = 2 blue mana. Fourth move is another yellow 3-match, resulting in (3 - 3) = 0 yellow mana (but still depriving the opponent of a potentially needed yellow match).

It feels like it could work out quite well. It would make the game slightly harder, players are currently better than the AI at chaining matches, that benefit would be somewhat reduced. It would make the game a lot more balanced by limiting the luck spikes, you still benefit from a lucky board, you just no longer get an overwhelming advantage. It would also add a bit more depth to strategic play, if there are several 4-matches available you have to decide which one to pick first, and you want to be extra careful to include cascades early.

1 Like

I think today’s balance changes will have addressed most of the issues in this thread.

@Fourdottwoone 's suggestion is interesting - has come up before - a less drastic (better?) suggestion is probably -10% cumulative (per extra turn) to mana collected.

I do see it as very gratifying that the devs have listened to the debate here - though likely only made the changes after a lot of play-testing themselves (not suggesting they should jump to fix everything someone whinges about).

Those (like me) who felt these troops were straying into being unbalanced will probably approve of the changes - needs more testing and attention to see how well it all works, but I feel it looks sensible.

Those who didn’t feel that way (or for some reason never met the 4x Webspinner teams many of us were sick of) will probably chalk this off as a victory for whingeing.

Either way - I suggest the devs will make their own minds up. They’re not (quite) infallible, but no this stuff better than the rest of us.

Hehe,

Not that it matters now, but here is a typical run against 3/4 Webspinner teams pre-nerf:

Webspinner Pre Nerf (loud music, be warned!!):

Got plenty more vids with pre and post nerf Webspinner against my same team :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats so great about that game: you dont need the epic cards to win battles. There are so many cards, that are good vs Webspinner… some examples are: KEGHAMMER, COCKATRICE, SPIDER QUEEN or even cards that transform green gems to others (like ALCHEMIST) or destroy green gems for boosting abilities. And as mentioned, its always a good tactic to prioritize denying the opponents important matches before looking at your own.