Alright Devs... Enough is Enough... (Soul Forge...) :(

…still waiting for one to drop for me…

I hear ya. I missed out on some good ones and it makes me sad when people are suggesting all these great teams I probably won’t ever get to try…

P2W has many definitions. To a lot of people, “making progress dramatically faster” is P2W in games that have some end state where you don’t really get “more powerful”.

I think if we sat down with a beer and talked it over, in about 2-3 minutes I could articulate what I mean and we’d agree. I think if I tried to type it out on the forums, it’d take us several rounds to go back and forth.

Let’s just clarify that “mythic” in this sense means “a very powerful card”. Emperor Khorvash is objectively “stronger” than many cards with actual mythic rarity. So he fits. Kraken fits. Any troop that’s part of teams that are generally “you have to build a team to beat this team” counts. I feel like I’m missing at least a dozen of these, as evidenced by so far when I ask, “Why’d I hit a wall in PvP?” the teams people suggest tend to require cards I don’t have yet.

Probably the safe way to state that is, “I bet there are a lot of players who would be mad because THEY had to ‘work’ to build their teams, and now someone’s spending $50/week to get a ‘free’ mythic and catching up ‘too fast’.”

Really my only feeling towards the Soulforge right now is when I DO have enough resources to craft a mythic, I’m going to be so worried about crafting the “wrong” one I’ll probably never actually choose one.

2 Likes

You may be right. I agree that “P2W” has no concrete definition as every cited instance varies with the game. To my eyes, a game is “P2W” if, in order to be competitive (directly, in PvP; or team-worthy / able to complete content, in PvE), one absolutely must put down cash. That includes both cash-exclusive items as well as something that is ostensibly available via random chance but for which the “random chance” is so low as to be meaningless. “Unavailable” is of course a hard metric, while “so low as to be meaningless” is an opinion.

Gems of War has always felt very generous to me, insofar as the bulk of the powerhouse troops (Legendaries) are quite readily available. Mythics could be considered leaning on the “so low” side of things, except that it’s quite possible to be endgame-tier competitive without any Mythics at all.

As to whether players would be mad that they had to work vs. pay, perhaps so, but the game has offered direct sales of Legendaries in the store for a very long time now, and if people were mad about time vs. cash spent, I’d argue they picked the wrong type of game to play.

4 Likes

Basically what some of us feel i believe. Considering the odds of dropping it on chests some people are afraid of crafting a Mythic and later getting a duplicate…

I have enough materials to craft Pharos-Ra, which is a troop i really want but i don’t need. I just want him because of his Egyptian Theme and because “gotta catch them all”, but i don’t need him in the sense that it would hardly change my gameplay a lot.

And while i’m waiting to craft him i’m also hoarding more materials for almost a second Mythic, so the chances the devs have to get some money from me, or anyone in the same position, are also diminishing as the clock ticks…

2 Likes

I disagree completely that you absolutely have to put down cash to win or be successful in this game. I can only speak for myself, and i also may be the exception to the rule, but for now i’m strictly f2p, and i do great. It’s not that i wouldn’t love to buy the deathknight armor or the pack with a guaranteed mythic, i just can’t afford it at this time. Part of what makes me love this game so much is that i can play it through and do extremely well without having topay a dime. I’m consistently in top 100 pvp (since working out a team i love, i had no desire after i reached tier 1), i have an abundance of every resource i need (obviously i still need to farm arcanes as i go), i was in a high bracket guild and did great (i parted for personal reasons, not cuz i couldn’t cut it) and i do awesome in my current guild. Is it annoying that i’m missing a ton of legenaries and all but one mythic? Absolutely! Does it really affect if i win or lose? No, i just think it’d be fun to play those troops. Like i said, this is just my experience, so i’ve gotta respectfully disagree.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s my point. I don’t see GoW as P2W. Others have their own perspective, and I don’t begrudge them their own viewpoints, but to me, GoW is in a comfortable space between freeware and P2W.

5 Likes

I am VIP 5, none of my purchases have anything to do with my success. Success comes from my ability to create great team synergies.

GoW has an above average balance of P2W and F2P for a “freemium” game.

5 Likes

I only meant to bring it up because i wanted to say some people might see “everything is craftable any time” as P2W.

I was forgetting, due to inexperience, that even if you use dollars to get diamonds, there are a lot of barriers to obtaining ENOUGH diamonds quickly.

On xbox, you can buy unlimited 5$ daily soul forge packs, I bought like 10 one diamond day.

Sounds like a glitch. On PS4 can only do one per day not multiple packs.

You can only do 1 per day on PC/Mobile as well.

Well not a big deal since the troop you want to craft never show up :wink:

1 Like

A glitch they’re not rushing to fix since it’s 5$ cash and not a gem deal like ps4.

For a long time in Khetar it isnt a new troop. I dont no we it was the last troop, but ist a new troop in the future.

They dont go with a new troop in Khetar because of the chance to have Pharos ra

weapons are exclusive too

1 Like