AI defend win/lose reward discussion

Ok, I am torn on this as well because I get very few defense wins, however, I’ve all but almost quit playing the game because I’m level 75 now and can’t win ANY games. I haven’t received a single legendary troop after opening a million chests and I just get annihilated by everyone–invade, defend, defense–doesn’t matter. I tried suggested common troop lineups with limited to zero success.

It’s absolutely astounding to me that the AI is too stupid to take a match 4 or skulls, but when they have their backs against the wall–well they take EVERY match 4 and they get the most ridiculous cascades I have ever seen AI get in a game of this genre.

I know people will disagree with me or say “ya but they were already nerfed, etc” or something…but I know what I have experienced and it makes that game very unplayable at this point. If it wasn’t for the story, I wouldn’t be able to play this game right now, that’s the bottom line.

So buff the defense wins? Idk, how would they do this without making the cascades even MORE ridiculous than they already are? I’ve taken down 3/4 troops leaving 1 guy with like half health and I’m at full with all my guys–then BAM BAM BAM, cascade after cascade, turn after turn–just whittles my team to nothing with 1 guy and I don’t even get a turn.

Seems pretty legit <3

1 Like

I’m sorry you’ve been having such a bad experience! Have you tried the Skelton teams? They are still very powerful and I use then often, I wish I could help you get some wins!

No, I haven’t. Which is that? After the sharp and steadily increasing loss percentage, I relegated myself back to arena battles, as to not be a burden on my guild with negative trophies.

I always feel I need to caveat those like my aforementioned post with “but I really enjoy the game” etc. hehe, but I sincerely do, and I’m not complaining so much as giving my honest review of my experience in the game. I still play, just way less frequent. Went from wanting to play 8 hours a day to meh, maybe I’ll play an arena or a match or two a day lol. :smile:

Hoping it gets better :sunny:

Do you have skeletons leveled up?
A great team is:
3x skeleton
Some kind of purple generator, orb, green slime, even Wight can work.

Skeletons are cheap to cast, get really buff when you do, and give extra turns.

The best way to play is to wait till they are all ready to cast, then cast them one after another.

Some of them, yes. If not, I can get the souls from some arena wins and such. What team is most effective? I tried making up a sk team but it wasn’t that great. So far the only team I have ever won with at this level is hero, alchemist, banshee, valkyrie. Probably like a 1:5 win to loss ratio on invades.

Don’t really think I have the purple generator though, no weapon for my hero if that’s what you’re implying.

skeleton
Skeleton
Skeleton
Wight
Could work, wight gives a very small amount of purple

If you have aziris sub him in for one of the skeletons.

Green slime is a great 4th unit also, better than wight actually.

An exploder would make a decent sub also, ragnagord would be best for targeting purple, or herdmaster if you don’t have rag.

I just got 3 glory on a defense victory.

1 Like

I updated the title and info in the main discussion to reflect the changes that have been made over the last few days.

This is my take on why defense wins don’t pay as much as losses: When you win a defense battle, the AI is playing on your behalf. When you win a revenge battle, you are the one actually controlling the action. I think the devs might have given the higher reward to the battle the player actually plays rather than the one that is played for them. At least that makes sense to me.

Regardless of who’s playing, a win is a win. It should be rewarded as one

I disagree. I think actually playing is what should be rewarded, not autopilot.

1 Like

So, putting together an AI-controlled team that can fend off attacks by real players has no merit? I, for one, would much rather face strong teams that require me to think strategically than facing off teams of a single card because the guy figured putting any effort into it wasn’t worth it

Not no merit, just not as much. I agree with you about the kind of battles you prefer to fight; I prefer that kind as well. But there is also a benefit to a single card defender as well. For a while I ran that kind of defense team for two reasons: 1) I wanted to lose to gain the revenge battle and 2) it gave lower level players who came up against me a chance for an easy win. Now I run a mid- to-high level defense team which is about 50/50 won/loss ratio, and it is not the same as my invasion team. I want to fight the defense battles; I would be disappointed if my team won all the time.

OK, weird, there must be some weird new formula or something, because I’m pretty sure I got 0 for a defense loss once, then 1 each recently, and I hear other people saying they got 3 for a win, and you’re saying you got three for a loss. There doesn’t seem (yet) to be any consistent way to figure out what you get.

There is a consistency for Machiknight said on defense victory. The reason your drops have had discrepancy recently is that most of these changes only occurred in the last few days when others and I brought it to the devs’ attention, again. This time they finally did something about it.

The above information in the original post under win and lose should accurately depict rewards as they currently stand at this point in 1.0.8.

This is a strange statement. You’re on a console, right? This could be a bug; on the PC/mobile version, the AI is supposed to take Match 4+ first and then skull matches. If this is not happening on the consoles, then unless there’s some explicit statement about the consoles prioritizing differently than PC/mobile, then it’s very suspicious.

The console has a completely different AI than the mobile / pc version. It appears to select moves largely at random. There might be some level of increased likelihood of the taking the “good” moves, but there are definitely no guarantees like there are in the mobile / console version.

As a result of this randomness recall bias runs extremely strong against the console AI. I have literally had the AI hand me several games by refusing to match a single skull or 4 of a kind in late game. I have also had it play completely brainlessly then seemingly wake up halfway through a match. The only consistent explanation seems to be complete randomness mixed with recall bias.

Unfortunately when you don’t understand why the computer is making the moves it does, it makes it feel that much “cheaper” when it suddenly decides to start making smart moves. Or when it makes a completely hairbrained move to match 3 gems of a color it can’t use with 2 4 of a kinds on the board. Then the drops give it a run of skulls from gems that couldn’t be seen. It makes it feel like it is cheating basically. It takes a lot of will to remind yourself that it is essentially random and not to get upset by it. Sadly it cheapens victories as well because often you see the computer ignore a game changing match for no apparent reason.

The console seriously needs the AI brought to the level of the mobile / pc. It would feel a lot less cheap and cheaty, and frankly make for a much more consistent game experience.

-Razlath

From memory, the AI (in all versions of the game) is deliberately stupid until the player is a certain level (30? 50? can’t remember…) so it might be people are seeing that…

Hmm could be. I am only lvl 40ish on the console. But I don’t remember ever seeing the mobile AI give up games like the console does. Honestly if it were that bad, I might not have even kept playing. I don’t play the console version much for a lot of reasons, but the cheapness of battles (both ways) is on the list.

I will try to get to 50 and see if it becomes more like the AI we know and love from the mobile / pc version. :smiley:

-Razlath

There’s “a lot” of reports of the Steam discussion group (not sure why the console players go there instead of here but…) that the AI is “cheating” (that old thread about the AI cheating was resurrected because of that) - mainly through match4+ cascades falling. All this time I’ve been telling them that it’s in their head BUT based on this new information that the AI does not go for automatic match 4+ and skull matches, there could be something to how gems are also generated. I can try to get their player levels to see if they’re all below a certain level though…

1 Like