A New Mythic Approaches - The Gray King

As you say, and with souls on a L20 talent on Necro and Deathknight in the ‘Death’ tree, it’s even more odd.

Nice looking troop

Explosion, true damage, drain, silence, freeze… and passive double stat boosting.

Are you sure it’s doing enough?

1 Like

Mine destroys gems rather than exploding, but it also takes out the garbage and walks the dog, so I guess we can call it square

6 Likes

It’d be AWESOME if he had explosion. But he doesn’t explode the gems, he destroys them. Which is still better than removal though.

350 gem keys, must be my lucky day

14,000 Guild Seals this time around :+1:

I wish I could play with the troop in the Faction Assault, though! Would have been fun to have time to try out a few battles :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The spelling of “Gray” is inconsistent with Ethoras’ “grey” in the quest dialogue for Wild Court. I suspect there may be other inconsistencies with the word, but none come to mind atm. Just an FYI @Devs/consistency team.

2 Likes

So the spelling is a black-or-white issue for you?

I’ll show myself out.

5 Likes

That was a greyt line there. Color me impressed.

3 Likes

LOL His spell should cost 30 instead of 22.

It would be really awesome if this thread was filled with people talking about the troop instead of how many keys it cost them to obtain it.

I really like The Gray King. Against color-sharing teams, he is a clear punisher, able to hit them hard and control them. His downside is that he is very limited in who he can target, because you have to pick a gem color first. For instance, I’m using him in Tower of Doom right now. Enemy team has Black/Purple on first slot, Blue/Purple, then Purple/Yellow, then Green/Black. So I can hit the first three troops if I destroy all purple. I can hit the first and last if I hit black. Yellow only hits one troop, blue only hits one troop.

He also doesn’t have any life gain, unlike most undead. I’m running him with Xathenos and Life and Death. He can refill himself because he destroys the gems (not just remove them), but you’ll have to be careful that he isn’t color blocked by all three (right now he has access to blue and no one else does, and xathenos has yellow, whereas all my troops use black and purple).

I think he can work well with Possessed King too because of his ability to set up 4+ matches when destroying gems, then King explodes after that.

12 Likes

Agreed he is a fun troop (though not effective on defense). I got amazingly lucky and pulled 2 of them at once. I’m also using in tower of doom with
Mt crusher (titan), TGK, TGK, Xathenos
Pretty fun the way the true damage scales up. Have a feeling on later levels I’ll have to change to a mang team as usual though :frowning:

There really isn’t much to say about The Gray King

Easy to build around. (there are many brown, blue, or purple based teams)
Poor on defense. (AI still sucks with targeting)
Damage output is high, though multicasting is annoying due to silence unless you memorized every troop in the game (even then, you’d have to memorize an enemy hero’s weapon too). Damage is also inconsistent, depending on enemy team comp.

Fun to use for now while its new, will eventually be forgotten.

Its a stronger Shocktopus.

Biggest annoyance, it doesn’t stun before silence, so it doesn’t really phase something like Yao-Guai, who still fills faster than it.

1 Like

but to show I’m a good sport about it, here’s a team I’ve been using with The Gray King

Scurvy Seadog
The Gray King
Jar of Eyes - Corsair
Daughter of Ice
Sorrowful Banner (+2 Blue, +1 Brown, -1 Yellow), can also use Frozen Banner (+2 Blue, +1 Purple, -1 Red) or Trident Banner (+2 Blue, +1 Green, - 1 Yellow). I’m all in on The Gray King though.

Hunt, Insulated, Light Fingers, Backup, Deluge, Water Mastery, Thieves’ Guild

8/11 mana fill on a 3 blue gem match with 2 empowered for blue spam. Daughter of Ice creates the first Blue Storm. Overflow is easy in this team, so Jar fills, so you have a second source for Blue Storm and can explode the board to reset it if you end up casting TGK on Blue Gems.

Between Jar of Eyes and Backup talent, 1st slot almost always has something. Scurvy Seadog isn’t all that important, even if sometimes it dies before ever casting.

4 Likes

You mean you silence Yao, and he’s able to recover and cast before you’re able to reapply the silence? At least you get the freeze as well…

This troop would be moronic if it had stun or curse (not to mention, would make Champion of Anu totally obsolete). As it is, The Gray King is one of the better mythics. His board modification limits what he can target, but that third trait will ensure that he’s doing good damage if you put him with a strong looping team. He’s not about to take over the game, but should be a strong option for many teams.

What I find funny is that in 4.6, you can choose to run stackable medals that give troops 40% chance to cleanse each turn (per medal) on top of natural cleanse, so the silence and freeze won’t actually stick very long against player created teams. Its separate % checks for what its worth, but considering how busted 35% bandits can be sometimes, its pretty good odds.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m also concerned how the cleanse medals are going to affect debuff statuses. Curse, freeze, and silence (EDIT: and entangle too) look like they’ll be nerfed pretty hard (as would troops depending on those statuses).

It doesn’t stack like that. But I can’t explain how it actually stacks. It’s a percentage of a percentage though. I think @EliteMasterEric was the one who explained it to me when potions came out but I’m not going to spend a hour trying to find that. Lol

PS… I had Irongut miss a devour 6 times in a row with 47 attack last night when I was testing a build. I love how uneven RNG in this game actually is. There’s definitely hidden elements that make it less cut an dry than a coin toss.

Maybe I could have used a better choice of word, but you can run up to 3 of those medals and Ozball said on stream it’ll do a check on each 40% chance separately. I’m stacking chances, but not for the purposes for improving one lump sum chance.