A New Mythic Approaches - Amarok

Apologies - and yes - correctly identified as Essence of Evil - noted for next time

2 Likes

Is anybody having problems with Amarok backfiring after getting a devour, or is it reliable enough with sufficient red-centric support?

It’s backfired on me a couple of times but not enough for me to just outright give up on him. Then again, I’ve always liked the high risk high reward teams. There’s definitely efficient teams out there where you can just cruise control with. I just think it adds to the fun if there’s a possibility the team can blow up in my face.

2 Likes

Running a team with this puppy for todays delve:

Amarok
Child of Summer
1st Mate Axelubber
Sheggra’s Heart (on dervish, because i want levels on this guy)

and it’s going quite good now

1 Like

Enemy just ended their turn…

That is A LOT of red gems… 23 of them in fact, plus 3 burning enemies, gives me 106% total chance. But I have no mana!

Matched the two 5 matches. That took out 10 red gems, which is 40%, but brought a few more in.

Went from 106% chance down to 82% chance.

Okay, here we go! AND IT MISSED! 82% chance… sigh.

1 Like

HKI wouldn’t have let you down :wink:

1 Like

Bro, I had High King Irongut miss three times in a row at 94% once. From what my wife tells me I looked pretty funny when I was raging about it. Was it childish? Yes, but I don’t care- he freaking missed three in a row at 94%.

1 Like

Amarok -most unbalanced card yet

have you forgot about Mongo ?

I’m pretty sure most of us have!

:grin:

How? When the devour doesn’t hit, he literally just does basic damage to a single enemy, and even if that kills the enemy, 9 gems is not a whole lot, in fact it’s in the “dangerous” territory where it can easily set up 5+ matches for enemy.

While I think the troop is kinda sucky under most circumstances (there are always cheese teams)…the only time you’d use his ability is where the math gets you a near 100% devour rate … so at least 21 reds (plus 4 burning) or 22-25 reds. The extra 9 he produces nearly guarantees a 4 match, which may lead to a follow-up devour.

Is Amarok the worst new mythic of 2020?

Due to its solid traits and typing, I don’t think so, but it’s a three-way race between it, Will of Nysha, and Zilopochtli. (I’d say Will of Nysha takes it for me, but even she’s not as bad as a lot of the older clunkers out there.)

Here’s how I would rank them…

Mythic Name Date Tier
Umenath 3-Jan B
Mother of Darkness 7-Feb C
Will of Nysha 6-Mar B
Mistralus 3-Apr S
Zilopochtli 1-May D
Sycorax 5-Jun C
Lord of Slaughter 3-Jul B
Amarok 7-Aug A
1 Like

I was confused at first, thinking you listed them in order, and I immediately hopped on to reply, “Uh, no — Misty is real good, not in-the-middle material” :joy:

I generally agree with a lot of the tier choices, probably, but to contribute more than that with my post…

I think, if we’re ordering them from best to worst, rather than ranking them relative to “mythic-ness,” I’d put them like this:

1. Mistralus
  2. Sycorax
  3. Umenath
  4. Lord of Slaughter
  5. Amarok (I think — haven’t stretched him out yet)
  6. Will of Nysha
  7. Mother of Darkness
  8. Zilopochtli
2 Likes

I agree Amarok is an A tier as he is ok in a random team, but when focused on red, can actually be relatively reliable. Heck, in a pvp environment, I dare say Amarok can be better than Irongut as it needs less to be built around, but can have a better devour chance in the beginning.

I agree with these grades, but I dont agree on Sycorax. I mean, we already have a c troll.

2 Likes

I think I agree with this mostly.

I just want to note how disappointed I am on this year’s mythics so far. A lot of them are “almost good”, which to me is more of a disappointment than ones like Shade of Zorn or Gargantuar where a player is under the thought process of “they exist, I guess.” It would only take a little shift up to make most of these mythics memorable, which is what I want to see.

How I would rank them:

S Rank: Mistralus
A Rank: none
B Rank: Umenath
C Rank: Sycorax, Amarok, Lord of Slaughter, Will of Nysha, Mother of Darkness
D Rank: Zilpochtli

1. Mistralus: good damage + extra turn
  2. Umenath: big damage, but just does damage unless it kills.
  3. Sycorax: effective, but slow. would be much higher rated if it was just an Elemental/Giant like every other troll. (probably A rank)
  4. Amarok: just does damage, but can loop/be very effective with luck + setups
  5. Lord of Slaughter: Is an absolute bomb in the right setups, but is slow to start up and isn’t guaranteed to wreck house without setup. Can backfire completely unlike say Zuul’Goth/Umenath which has a positive effect, then has potential upside/downside.
  6. Will of Nysha: does AoE damage and a minor debilitation, but can get very strong during long games. A top 5 starter mythic though.
  7. Mother of Darkness: can do bleed setups. The damage is too low to be exciting to use though. Could be a memorable troop if its damage was more interesting.
  8. Zilopochtli: just does damage, unless it kills something. Umenath does Zilopochtli things better.
3 Likes

Wow, that’s a different take. I agree with Mithran’s post, in that Amarok’s reliance on two RNG breaks in his favor to work properly is a major negative. (not to mention he needs the front slot, where he jams up your team’s mana flow, more than some of the other 2020 glass cannon-types because his spell damage is so shoddy)

I just can’t see Amarok being better than (let alone a tier, or more, better than) Umenath, Sycorax, or Lord of Slaughter.

EDIT:

I C what you did there :laughing:

This is my list almost exactly. I’ve rated Mother of Darkness higher than everyone else in the thread, but perhaps I was a bit too bullish on her potential (she’s probably the same tier as the bottom 3). And I rate Zilopochtli above Will of Nysha, mainly because of the chance of getting an extra turn on kills and more interesting team options with it being undead-stryx.

This, very much. There are some good ideas, but timidity by the Devs is taking the fun out of some of these mythics. While you do have to be careful with stupid mechanics like devour, why does Mother of Darkness have 24 mana cost and create gems she can’t use herself on kills? What’s going on with Zilopochtli boosting on colors he can’t use and having his trait nerfed at the last minute?

Even the best mythics of the year, Mistralus and Sycorax, have little random tweaks that make them less fun than they could be. While it’s commendable that there haven’t been any truly bad mythics released this year, there also haven’t been many truly exciting ones either.

I thought this was a strange comment; as a converter, I wouldn’t think backfiring would be a real problem for him. Are you talking about the random doomskulls he can create being left in awkward spots? Or the doomstorm at the start?

1 Like

I… might have missed the posts… But just how the heck did you boost his Molten Feast damage to a whooping 80???

In the screenshot, unless it is some experimental pvp defense, it was during a delve run.

With higher hoard levels, all your stats receive a large bonus. Champion of Gaard also boosts all red troop stats by 1 each turn.

1 Like