The 2nd GoW Forum Fantasy Series: 1 vs 16

Guidelines:

• EVERYONE is welcome to vote, polls are located at the bottom of each matchup
  • Vote according to your own rules. Is it a best-of-whatever? Is it player vs. player or AI vs. AI? You choose, however always assume a fair fight
  • ALL Troops are fully-Traited, please keep this in mind
  • Each Troop is linked to @Lyya’s beautifully-created Troop List, which contains information like stats and traits

#FIRST ROUND: Zelfore vs. Shimrra

User: @Zelfore

Banner:

Troops & Position:
Alchemist
Siren
Mercy
Moloch

Team Bonus:

Lord of Devas: All Troops gain 2 Armor for having 2 unique Whitehelm Troops

VS.

User: @Shimrra

Banner:

Troops & Position:
Jarl Firemantle
Archon Statue
Drake Rider
Terraxis

Team Bonus:

None

• Zelfore

• Shimrra

0 voters

LINKS:
Draft
Video
2v15
3v14
4v13
5v12
6v11
7v10
8v9

The last two digits for the Redeem Code are: YU

2 Likes

Best of luck to everyone!

5 Likes

Hey all, good to see this is kicking off. Definitely go check out the other matches happening, they’ll be around for a couple of days I believe.

To my fellow competitors: GL HF.

So my team…

Jarl Firemantle (Red/Brown)
Archon Statue (Green/Brown)
Drake Rider (Brown/Purple)
Terraxis (Red/Yellow)

The main strength of this team is the large amount of gem spawning and transforming between everything besides Archon. Jarl fuels himself and Terraxis, Drake fuels Jarl and Terraxis, Terraxis fuels everything else.

Red/Brown Banner plus Terraxis’ Fire Link keeps the mana flowing to all four troops - 5+ on Red and 4+ on Brown can fully charge any of these troops in 2-3 matches depending on surges. Jarl + Terraxis or Drake + Terraxis can potentially form deadly infinite loops; failing that, Drake can also cast in the aftermath of Jarl’s ability to transform a huge amount of the board into Red.

Jarl’s gem spawning plus two transformers provides ample opportunities for his traits to trigger - Huge making him, well, that, and Fiery Cloak burning enemies.

Both Archon and Terraxis have Stone Spirit, which gives them +3 Magic on this team. This is particularly strong on Terraxis given he hits all enemies.

Weaknesses of the team include:

• Not actually being able to use Blue mana - remedied by Terraxis transforming it.

• Triple Brown troops slowing each other’s mana gains - remedied by them having unique other colors.

• Terraxis being sniped - he’s at the back of the team, but if he is picked off by abilties then things get rough, between losing the only Yellow troop Jarl is fueling, losing Fire Link, and losing the Brown generator.

In this particular match-up, my best chance would be if I was able to eliminate Moloch quickly with targeted abilities - Zelfore’s team has two Yellow generators that are otherwise nearly-useless. The double Empowered is a pain though, especially since they will probably set off Moloch’s Suppression.

Zelfore’s best bet would be to take out Jarl or Terraxis with Siren and Moloch.

4 Likes

TL;DR: I have four nukes to Zelfore’s two, and his team goes to hell instantly if I remove Moloch from the equation.

May the best team win! I’ll be following Shimrra’s formula of explanation to keep the match evened.

Also, vote my team!

I call it, the Suppression Inquisition, because no one expects it.

Alchemist (Red/Brown)
Siren (Green/Purple)
Mercy (Blue/Green)
Moloch (Red/Yellow)

My team is heavily reliant on weakening the opponent’s team via the use of Moloch’s Suppression trait. Reducing attack and magic being the primary goals. Not a difficult trait to activate with my line-up.

Yellow/Red Banner means the moment Mercy or Alchemist shoot off, I can count on nearly filling up my Moloch’s spell, as well as using his trait and getting an extra turn. Thanks to Moloch’s mana draining spell, fear of the enemy targeting him with something dangerous goes out the window, and Mercy can promise the spell powering to full more often than not.

Siren could be considered risky in some cases, but 9 Gem spawning is proven to give an extra turn most times, especially when I can target Shimrra’s Terraxis if he manages to shoot off Jarl. That’s pretty much guaranteed at that point.

Even if Moloch is weakened or my team is status’d by Burn, Mercy is their to heal him and cleanse all allies at the same time. Effectively recovering from any possibly dangerous hits.

Weaknesses of my line-up are:

• Heavy reliance on Moloch, more so trait than spell wise - Mercy being his protector, ironically enough.

• Siren’s luck-based spell - but with 9 Gems and the enemy removing colors from the board, bad luck is reduced.

• Minor clogging on Green, Blue being Mercy’s only reliable mana - and with Terraxis threatening to remove Blue altogether, healing times could end up being close calls. So refilling Mercy before that happens takes some priority.

For this match-up, I’d be using whatever bonus Siren and Mercy’s Blessed traits offer me to their fullest. The fact that Moloch can’t be burned by Jarl gives him an advantage, though the 4x targeting is a threat.

Shooting off Mercy asap will quickly power Moloch, giving me time to plan his spells target once the enemy’s dangerously filled. My top priority should be taking Terraxis though, as he threatens Mercy’s healing/cleansing power.

Archon Statue will have to saved for last to avoid the damage boost, so Moloch can’t drain him.

Shimrra’s safest option is filling his team up efficiently with Drake Rider and Terraxis, then aiming for Moloch. Powering more than one troop at a time so Moloch can’t take on both spells.

1 Like

Wait… a 16 beating a 1? That doesn’t even happen in March Madness!

Well we did have an 8 beat a 1 when we only had 8. Not that far fetched since seeds are just random anyway.

We also have a 2 losing to a 15 so ouch.

Equally good analysis. Jarl is definitely not as good in this match up with Siren waiting to abuse it, although if I were to chain his ability its moot. Also the fact that Red/Yellow is actually more beneficial for Zelfore than myself, due to the banner.

Team 1: http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/alchemist,siren,mercy,moloch,c20
Team 16: http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/jarl-firemantle,archon-statue,drake-rider,terraxis,c20

3 Likes

That’s cool.

I have decided this should be bumped. More votes! More!!

1 Like

Congratulations @Shimrra on the win and to @Zelfore as well for participating!

1 Like

So Terraxis switches sides, teams up with the Jarl and now is on a collision course with Gorgotha. This is going to be a feisty battle.

1 Like