Warning for new players

One other thing about the game’s history-- originally there were only 1 trophy matches.

As I understand it (and this was all before my time so anyone jump in and correct me on the details if I’m wrong) the 2 and 3 trophy matches were added about 20 months ago at the behest of very high level players who wanted more of a challenge.

So I don’t think the 2 and 3 trophy matches were ever meant for even most mid-level players. But as these things tend to go, everyone wants to do the 3 trophy matches now.

Just some background, I know it doesn’t change your situation…

1 Like

I may be wrong, because it is a long time ago… but I don’t remember that we asked anything. It just happened and it has been a surprise for everyone.
What I do remember is that we were already asking for a larger pool of opponents and more balanced matches.

2 Likes

They were included from the very beginning when the entire PvP ranking system was revamped, whatever update that was. Before, it was something like you got 1 trophy for the first win and two trophies as long as your winning streak continued, and a pvp tier was something like 3 trophies total (it may have increased the higher you climbed, that I can’t remember). But you could basically get to PvP 1 in about 20 battles or so as long as you rode the winning streak.

1 Like

I have a level 192 on xbox one with a 7,201 dragon set and it can compete quite fine with those who are even @ a 9k. 2 of the cards are mythics and all traits are maxed.

However, i got extremely lucky and have had the pleasure of landing in great guilds. I don’t think it really has so much to do with armors, but this game seems to be a bit more dependent on guilds. Best piece of advice i could pass on to any newcomer is simply find a great guild.

I do agree though this game does rely heavily on pvp and pve doesn’t seem like such a great way to level, pvp is the much better option exp wise.

Your level might be a big factor in this. IIRC before 200 the game does something or other that limits the PvP teams you might face.

That said, having a dragon team with 2 mythics on it would’ve made my 200-400 a lot easier. 400 is around when I got The Dragon Soul and The Worldbreaker and assembling a team around them dramatically changed “difficulty”.

Your observation is correct, though: being in a guild that is even casually active is incredibly important. If your guild isn’t finishing level 5 or 6 of every guild task and reaching 10k seals weekly, you’re missing so many rewards the concept of “reaching endgame” seems almost impossible.

Also spot-on with PvP vs. PvE, though IMO player level is not very important. Sure, it levels your hero. The diminishing returns kick in fast enough you stop caring. Somewhere in the 200-400 range you’ll shift to caring about souls and traitstones more, and PvE is better for that :wink:

2 Likes

It would have taken forever to fill such a team, not to mention treat it.

Not really. My wife got her first mythic 3 days after she created an account. Obviously she joined a pretty good guild and it was before the 4x speed was introduced so she got a lot of keys. That first mythic (Wulfgarok) carried her through her first 100 levels or so. Then she got Famine and The Dragon Soul so she switched her teams. When she had good troops it wasn’t hard to trait them at all because she could gain resources at a very fast pace by plaing 3 trophy PVP matches and doing explore on Warlord IV.

Dams. I was more or less around level 700 before I could get one. Which I traited, and was promptly nerfed.

Nah. I got Worldbreaker around 300 and ignored it, then TDS at around 400.

Put TDS on a team with “any other 3 dragons” and even untraited it’s one of the best teams you can build in that power range. Given that TDS helps fill Worldbreaker, I was very :thinking: and decided to try it. So for the next dragon, my legendaries were DRACO 1337 or Venberak, and I liked that Venberak did AoE damage so I picked that. I agonized over the 4th (top) slot. First I had Dragonian Monk, but I started facing more teams with AoE damage so even getting full-team barriers wasn’t really helping out. So I swapped in Dragotaur.

Depending on which 2 dragons you start with, I’d argue “2 high-rarity dragons” plus “2 mediocre dragons” is always a good team if you mind your color mixture. Traits don’t even matter.

Worse, traits raise the team power and make your opponents harder. So you have plenty of time to either wait to get traitstones with glory or farm them. Untraited, this team was waaaaaay more likely to win random matchups than any of my previous teams.

I’m above level 800 now and the only change I’ve made is putting Gorgotha in slot 1. It drops my TDS damage a little and I lost some bonuses, but it’s more consistent since 3 of my dragons feed the team now.

Don’t I know. When I goy TDS I set out my first all-dragon team, at the time it was Wyvern-TDS-Dragonette- Venbarak. Dragonette saved my bacon again and again, sweet little thing that she is.

Agreed that dragonette is a nifty card to use, especially with TDS, she helped win numerous battles for me