Upcoming Changes

Will Succubus and others have their mana costs reduced when this change is implemented?

This change will hit them hardest. And people want to see variety. This isn’t the way to do, by rendering a lot of troops far less useful.

For example:
I really enjoy playing my Blighted Lands team of:

Herald of Chaos
Succubus
Desdaemona
Abynissia

This change will make this team far less effective. I predict it won’t see a change in people using Deathknight though. So what is the result?

1 Like

They didn’t have their mana cost raised when it dropped from 2 turns to 0. So if anything, their abilities are under cost based on that logic.

5 Likes

Most people does not even know that this change(that hopefully wont come because the Devs changed their mind and canceled the change etc.) will also make a very fun weapon(Creeping Death), Death, and multiply other troops as you have in your Blighted Lands team utterly BAHH! to invade with…

And only when it was changed to a 0 turn wait period did they actually become useful. So I’m saying their costs should’ve been less when it was two turn period.

I really think all status effects should have a chance to be cleansed or countered before they tick.

With the Unity rework, is the time to make that consistent. It will allow some of the weaker statuses to be buffed.

Remember when you used to be afraid of Poison? It’s not relevant late game. Disease, might annoy you, but often doesn’t swing a battle. Same for burning. Deathmark with its instant kill is just about the only status that really hurts endgame. Entangle and Web, a bit perhaps.

I’d like to see things like Disease drain 1 mana a turn, or something. Poison prevent life gain and healing. Etc. Things that take abilities that are pretty awesome and terrifying early game, and keep them relevant in the endgame.

10 Likes

Totally agree and fully support changes that make the other status effects worth using too. :slight_smile:

I think also to make them more useful is perhaps things like disease doesn’t self cleanse either, like poison.

Not many disease inflicting troops currently so wouldn’t be an issue in my mind.

1 Like

I’m sorry for the Death Mark fans, but in a game about Team building, troop interaction; in a game with power like enchant and barrier; in a game with many Troops with the sole purpose is to increase stats of other troops; in a game with powers to increase life and armor… any ability that instantly kills, on a whim, is just counter-productive for the health of that game.
Just imagine this dialogue:

• I can buff my attack.
  • Yeah? I can kill you.
  • I can set you on fire!
  • I can just kill you.
  • I can deal a lot of damage to you.
  • Nice. But i can kill you.
  • I can slow you down.
  • Interesting. But see, i can just kill you.
  • I can reduce your stats to oblivion!
  • That’s annoying. I guess i’ll just kill you.

It was a bad idea then, it still is. Death Mark, Devour, Assassination? Bad idea. From the start.
But it had little impact because it was mostly on poor troops, or with low chances of happening (25%) or cost too much (Great Maw). But with cards that can Death Mark the entire team, Devour with high chance, low cost and repetitivly, and just kill on skulls? Now we see how bad an idea it was, and how silly the meta became.

I would adjust like this:
1- No multiple DM. Just 1 troop at a time.
2- No out of control devours. Only single cast (maw) or troop specific (like Goblin Muncher).
3- No assassination on skulls.

Hey, i can dream. I like strategy, and, call me crazy, but i like a good fight over a quick kill-all under 5 turns games.
I loved last week’s battles of Armor-Buffed troops where it was a long battle of attrition. Divines vs Divines! was more fun to me then just bringing my dogs to eat-them all…

14 Likes

I like long battles too, which is why I made a team to take advantage of Abynissia’s third trait, as it is in no way a quick team. The troops normally end up with attack in the 50’s! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The way people talk about Deathmark on here is that it’s a given that a marked troop will die. That is certainly not the case.

Also if people are wondering, I don’t have a traited Deathknight.

2 Likes

Well the Status effects may not all pose significant threats, but that is also represented in their respective manacosts. Disease and Poíson seem to come at minimal costs, Burn seems to be slightly more expensive while Deathmark seems to cost quite a bit if you look at a troop like Death.
Changes to these effects will also make vast balancing changes needed to every troop that has them. As a matter of fact the coming change to Deathmark already does that, Death itself will be mostly pointless, as it already is quite mediocre now and lose all its bite with that change.
Also currently Poison is not terrifying at any stage of the game :wink:

2 Likes

100% all of this stuff. Instagib mechanics make many other mechanics in this game pointless.

3 Likes

Well, I mean, its a mistake if the Devs makes the game easier than it already is. Famine nerf was not needed, and soon we gonna get Deathmark nerf. Make the game harder please, not easier, as win rate generally is far too high, and has to go down to 70-80% with better rewards for winning.

1 Like

Tend to agree with you in general, but there are a lot of contradictions in what you wrote.

First off, Devour is in the game for a long time and it never was a general problem as long as it was bound to appropriate opportunity/mana costs. That is why Great Maws skull Devour was an issue, his spell Devour wasn’t.
Kerberos, as much as i personally disliked its 50% Devour buff, also wasn’t a problem for the longest time, until Guild Wars was introduced with its surviving troop point bonus. Suddenly just killing troops regardless of the actual outcome of a battle became an important issue.

In addition there are troops in the game that literally oneshoot other troops, ironically last weeks event that you loved so much made Paladin into such a troop, and Gard is by design a more potent all-team killer than Death ever was.
Famine instant-kills troops on a regular basis as a mere side-effect of its spell, that is somehow more ok than Deathmark killing a troop after an average waiting time of what 3-6 turns?

3 Likes

For DM, it is a so much a small nerf that I don’t understand how one can complain about that. The so-called nerf just provide one turn to use a cleanse (or cleanse to all) troop… It means if you want to be sure to be able to protect your troops against DM, you have to take one cleaner in your 4-troops team and have it ready when DM is applied…
About Succubus, it seems to me that she can fire faster than you can cleanse (she can even drain the cleaner and apply DM on him…).

3 Likes

And yet noone uses Succubus right now, go figure.

I use succubus in my red day team.

1 Like

Death Mark (particularly the Deathknight Hero version) remains the only thing which can make me throw my phone in frustration. Devour and Mana Drain, sure. Annoying but there are ways around them. But you’re guaranteed to be hit with a full-team Death Mark (and quite possibly lose a troop or three before you can counteract it) every. single. time. if the enemy hero is in the front slot - and why wouldn’t they be, since the RNG benefit is so massive?

I for one cannot wait until this patch takes effect. Until then Guild Wars battles will just be depressingly random rolls of the dice, unless I build a team specifically built around immunity to Death Mark - in which case it’ll lose to any competently constructed defense team anyway.

1 Like

On at least 3 of the 6 colour GW days i never even run in danger of popping a Deadknight before the rest of the team is wiped out, on the rest i just stun, but yeah it is absolutely guaranteed and unavoidable.

To me there is a difference between killing you, in a single blow, with damage, and just right out kill you.
In the case of a Paladin, in fact, a Paladin with high armour will not kill another Paladin with high armour.
If we set aside ways to prevent the cast (like mana drain or silence, since it also affect DM and Devour), there are still many many ways to prevent death from damage:
Gaining HP. Gaining Armour. Having Barrier. Lowering your magic. Lowering your Paladin’s armour.
But insta-kill just does it, no maths, no calculation, no reduction of effect. You die. Done.

1 Like

Well barrier stops Deathmark procs aswell, aside from that it rarely procs on first turn and you can just dispel it, you can’t dispell damage that oneshot a troop. Also Deathmark doesn’t kill at all most of the time, 100+ damage always has an effect.
Paladin, unless armor buffed, might not have oneshot another Paladin last week, but any non event buffed troop he would have. Then there are also troops like Famine or Gard.

Anyways this was less about Paladin himself than it is about your contempt for oneshots from one source while you seem to embrace it from other sources. Gard is still a much more potent all team killer than Death ever will be.

Well, you are right.
I do make a difference between damage kills and unconditional kills.
See, 100+ dmg will not kill troops in my Loyalty team. Or my buffed Ketras. Or even Alastair.
That is the issue. You look at a guy like Alastair and think: this guy has potential! He buffs everyone armor, gets barrier, and is armored.
But no. Instakill mechanics still bypass all that, so this troop is just garbage atm.

3 Likes