Trial Team Feedback

Forget about our discussion on PF500 in an Entangle room, I am all out with you on this! I spent the last several days to try almost every kingdom’s trial and guess what, I gave up on fixing them! They are just plain stupid and lazy works from a numbed mind on crack.

2 Likes

I finally had the chance to try out the new Trials mode after only reading about it, and I have to admit I’m really underwhelmed. Where there were 7 challenges with different Teams before, there is now one team for everything, both yours and your opponents.

I thought the teams would at least change on each difficulty level to with different combinations, but it really is the same 4 vs 4 every level.

The power difference between the enemy team and the players team is an obvious problem as well, but the sheer (is there a word for the opposite of inspired?) lazyness of using the same team for all the levels is sleep-inducing at best, and just frustrating at the worst point, when you have problems with your team in the early levels already and just dread to go to the Lvl 150+ trials.

5 Likes

Speaking as someone who just started playing this game, I appreciate the effort for something that is supposed to teach me something, but he teaching method and the difficulty behind it feels way off. I have only messed around with a few of the trials in the early game kingdoms, but the one that felt really strange to me were the trials in the Broken Spire, the very first kingdom of the game.

The hints for this trials is to “Burn enemies to deal damage each turn” and to “Match Burning Gems to inflict Burn on all enemies.” These hints makes perfect sense. As a new player, you set out the expectation of what to do. What makes no sense though is why in this trial you give two opponents that have the fireproof trait. So what the game is trying to teach me is not even effective in the fight. This means my small smidgen of hope to win is gone since I am new to the game, the odds of me having the trial troops and having leveled them is basically 0.

With the aggravation of what I experienced in the trial above, I decided to completely ignore them while playing through all the kingdoms.

17 Likes

I’ll see if I can come up with a few suggestions.

In the meantime, I think Fourdottwoone made a very good point in that the first lot of Trials and the Epic Trials have very different target players and purposes, and so having the same teams for both isn’t ideal (and even for the later levels of the basic Trials) – and it’s unlikely there’ll be a single team that is viable / enjoyable for both sets.

My own initial thoughts are to have the first 4-5 levels of Trials use the chosen teams, serving the ‘tutorial’-like function, and then open up the restrictions to Troops and possibly Weapons from the Kingdom for the remainder to complete the restricted challenges for higher level players, including Epic Trials.

Unlike others, I think I kind of get the idea behind these, and don’t particularly miss Challenges – I found them a bit tedious, even if the Class XP was nice (at least for the first maybe 6 levels).

4 Likes

Can confirm Blighted Lands Epic Trial is just awful. And didn’t even max the starry pet so we have to do it again…

IMO Epic Trials should unlock the whole kingdom for Team building. Too brutally difficult with fixed troops.

3 Likes

Opposite of inspired …

Try any of the following: unimaginative, unoriginal, uninspired, UNCREATIVE, unproductive, uninventive, unfertile, or imitative

I think all of them are applicable in this case.

6 Likes

Unacceptable for time saving!

Indeed, the sheer discrepancy in raw numbers between your team and higher-tier Trials pretty much invalidates the “intended” mechanic. Mist of Scales recommending Poison, REALLY? The single weakest type of DOT in the game, all it really does at high levels is a free de-barrier (if the opponent is even running a barrier team).

3 Likes

I have tried, ever so patiently, to complete some of these trials. I have suceeded with a whole whopping 2. Vulpacea, including the epics, and zaejin. What do they have in common? Looping. The ability to prevent the AI from playing, or at the least minimizing it. They both still took an abysmally long and painfully ground out period of time to accomplish.

I also tried dragon claw which was a pathetic one sided rout because there is no way to deal any significant amounts of damage to the excessively upscaled enemy team.

I tried blighted lands and again lost in a mostly one sided rout because i cannot slow the enemy teams gem matching and feeding the damn dragon (my apolgies as i cannot recal the name at this time). I was lucky enough to destroy it once, and thought i stood a chance when a demon gnome appeared in place of the dragon, but no i still lost without killing an enemy.

I tried misted scales with no luck, (as if poison is a viable training concept. Who’s joke idea was that?) I tried karakoth, and made decent progress there but no wins az yet again the enemy teams are excessively upscaled and my team has not been and so cannot keep up in the damage dealing area yet again.

My conclusion is no different than anyone elses that ive seen here. I knew thjs before trying, having read a lot of the posts in many threads. I am certainly glad i have no more than 14 incomplete trials, because at this point there is NO point in wasting another minute on them. There isnt a reward good enough to justify spending time on trials as they are now.

It is simply a broken area in every kingdom now. There is no justifiable reason for anyone, new or old, to spend time doing this.

Well done team.

9 Likes

Khetar trials really sucks. The enemy team has a respawner and Alistair push the armor and gives barrier.
The own team has only skull converter, no troop has protection.

I would prefer every troop from the kingdom and the hero with the kingdom class can be selected. The hero should use weapons from the event kingdom. At least you have a weapon to respawn defeated troops.

I know this is not nice but perhaps the devs can at least try to beat the epic trials on higher level to see what the game will be like instead to implement the stuff and let the players suffer with their new genious strike.
I don’t have anything against a challenge but at least it should be beatable in a decent amount of time and without knowing the numbers of the newest Lotto draw.

10 Likes

Playing the Khetar Epic trial fights. It’s just stupid… Thanks for the horrible experience.

EDIT: Another great news:

4 Likes

Impossibru khetar epic trials

2 Likes

Yeah, no. This is not worth the frustration. Another mode I won’t be playing (anymore) because of a botched rework.

10 Likes

@Jeto @Kafka Any ETA on when we can purchase starry pets?

1 Like

I think Developers are really hate us.
fixed trash team, no hero support, double skull damage for cheating ai to kill us

5 Likes

AI keeper of souls just summoned 10 out of 10 wights, while mine 2 out of 8 chances. AI doesn’t cheat btw have fun with this bs.
edit 16/16 to 3/9

11 Likes

The only possible solutions to this problem that is “here to stay,” that doesn’t involve creating a whole new cash/gem sink for potions are:

1. Increase player intentionality, allowing us to construct teams using the full range of troops and weapons from the kingdom. Class-limited to kingdom class.

OR

1. Fix each and every kingdom’s team to ensure a non-rng chance of winning the fight.

Last week’s “Hint” demonstrated a lack of understanding of the only possible way too win…loop with Todd Greenwood…not “Choose from 2 Spells” the obvious answer is #1 here.

The good will needed to marshall the player base to fix it for free is gone.

9 Likes

So, final Epic Trial for Khetar…a number of tries to get this far, a number of fails in it so far.

You can see the approximate ballpark of stat difference, I might have some guild tasks unfinished but it’s thereabouts.

After keeping all the expletives and things one might say to oneself because of sure ban on vague grounds of dev-bashing, you’re and adept player, Kafka, care to give us a perspective on how the game is likely to go and what is the winning strategy for player?

Summary

Right now it looks something like:

• pray for enemy not to have any skulls while finish filling all your troops;
  • pray for friendly sky skulls while you do the above point;
  • pray that skull creation and subsequent cascades don’t leave enemy with skulls to use against you;
  • pray that Alastair never matches any skulls - his double damage one-shots;
  • pray that 50% summon Wight chance, given opportunity, works for you but not for the enemy;
  • pray that, if you must cast your hypothetic Wight, purple gems created land to your benefit and for the enemy to take;
  • knock on the wood, spit over your shoulder, buy a lottery ticked, go to Vegas;
  • repeat the above.

There’s not really a thing that might be called viable and legitimate strategy at the moment - only dumb luck.

I still think that Carrion Crow must go - while 2x spell damage against undead looks tempting on paper, it doesn’t do good in practice. It would take at least five casts to kill a troop and by that time Crow is already killed.
Replacing it with Tomb Knight - you get some skull reduction, you get armor and attack gain, you get a barrier. Still not easy but might provide hint of a chance.

And Keeper/Bone Dragon combo feels so awkward…but without repeatable practical trials and tests I don’t truly care to both wander into fantasy realm and babble about replacing the darn undead reptilian and wander deeper into team-overhaul-keeping-kingdom-theme territory.

Too much goodwill and faith lost to believe and consider this thread as anything more than wasted breath.

17 Likes

Try it yourself?

How many tries did you have to use to defeat the different levels? Was it at all possible?

Again and again you release content, where the playbase are the testers. Seriously- you must be spending most of your time fixing bugs, fixing, fixing. Then next update is due and still not tested; oh well yet again releasing a content that needs fixing.

Khetar Epic Trial: Ridiculously hard. In its current state, few will even try the second epic trial.
Try it out yourselves devs, can you beat it?

10 Likes

@Kafka = lets’ talk about real team building here if you want to get the feedback, if this latest upgrade was really meant to teach new players how to play.

I am going to just use the Vulpacea team for example since that’s all I had time last week to explore in my couple hours of play.

Rules I use and teach others to use

** Damage potential**
Todd is good and so is Vulpphire hunter. No collision in mana colors so it’s a good combo - Not the best combo in the troops available in the kingdom but it’s a good combo

** Skull Damage / Protection**
Vulpphire Hunter - 65% reduce skull damage (good for Slot 1) However - He has the lowest of the team for attack - so his skull damage back is not great.
However both Vulpphire and Red Fox loose -1 when matching red mana.

** Heal/Life/Mana bonus **
Harper is good for this - And honestly I like her as an addition to this team

Redfox is useless - except maybe to clear out a column or row because of the real problem (aka the next issue)

But where this team completely fails and trust me it becomes one of the biggest challenges as you go up in the difficulty is the enemy - VoidCaller and his Lycanthropy

Now there are three solid Wargare troops - that would work in place of Redfox (which is the one I would toss out of this list) Two of them, Bane Jaw and Wolfgarok are the strong viable additions that make sense.

Because you know what took me out - is that Lycanthropy.

And I think there is a bug in this particular implementation of the Lycanthropy, because the random Beast type Troop - always ended up at their default rarity with no traits or bonuses, even if you owned the beast and have it completely Mythic, fully traited.

And I’ve seen myself get Lycanthropy and get turned into Giant Toad fully traited and Mythic, cause I managed to win a GW off that. But here Todd (who is Fully Traited, Mythic) was turned into a Frost Lizard at Ultra rare with no traits. And I own Frost Lizard and he’s fully traited, Mythic and has two elite levels.

Missing the Hero here which gives additional bonuses and bennies. I dislike not having my hero - I use my hero ALL the time when I grind (and Trials are grinds to me)

After all it’s a PIA to get classes up to 40th level given that class trials for a kingdom only happen once a week. They should be a separate event action that is available ALL week.

Btw, this upgrade is worse than Arena. In the 7+ years I have been playing - I have AVOIDED it - because it’s worthless for the rewards.

If you want to teach players about team building - do it in The Quest - 24+ battles there to give you that give you a wide range of opponents and issues to face. - Learn to make suggestions, such as before the battle, suggest a trait, or type of defense, offense bonus that a troop(s) might have.

As you introduce new Kingdoms - GO OVER the cool new troops being introduce. Introduce an enemy that actually makes you understand how your troop works against them.
I can see a lot of fun

Heck, what I can’t understand is - there are so many Potentials here in how the company could have really hit this out of the park, instead the company took the short ramp to achieve the worst outcome.

11 Likes