The real truth. Recruiting has become close to impossible

Ever since 7.1 we struggle to keep 30 players. Sometimes even 27, because many old players left the game completely in a short time because of the horrendous changes.

And we’re high ranked, completing everything and not punishing those that miss reqs. We offer discord and use in-game chat, get 100s of pets each week and and and. People just have health problems now playing this game, resulting in us leaving long time friends and them losing their favourite game. :pleading_face:

By the way, even though we offer discord, nobody ever really uses it. We’re very active in the in-game-chat though.

Even before I played GoW, I was playing online games very competitively, one of them for over a decade. Using in-game mechanics every day, because they’ve been much better than Discord.

But a “message all” function would be nice sometimes, even though it’s not impossible to play without. We simply use the Xbox message system for that. Unfortunately on Mobile or PC there probably isn’t such a thing.

active players who tend to develop won’t stay in middle-range guilds, thats why you see tons of dead guilds with next-2-none activity. You can’t have both 0 reqs and good rewards for playing in a guild.

2 Likes

Sure but I can tell you now the longer and more expensive guild events are making players leave and more will quit in future. Keep that in mind when guilds are struggling with finding members and looking for a reason. Perhaps they need to lower their full event completion expectations.

1 Like

I thought I would chime in as someone who is not active in a guild.

Extrinsic reason that the game has no control over: I have a lot of obligations and don’t feel I could keep up with social ettiquite. I do feel if I join a guild there should be some social exchange even if it’s a random “What’s up!” every once in a while. You’re on a team and should do the occasional team thing. Since I can’t do that right now, I stay away.

Intrinsic to the game reason: There is just too much now to keep up with for a guild. Doom Tower and Guild Wars all at once? If I was a hard core player I would love that, but at this point in my life it is too overwhelming. In general I think it’s too much for many people. I feel like the devs are overplaying their hand with guild players. They recognize the social pressure of keeping up in a guild which translates to spending more money, but now they’ve made it too time consuming and expensive.

5 Likes

I totally respect not being able to keep up with guild activities and therefore not joining a guild. I did the same in another game because I knew I couldn’t contribute.
However, if you think you can at least do some event participation (there are guilds that don’t require GWs) then it is really to your benefit to join a guild. You get bonus experience, bonus skills, lots of resources from the tasks and not to mention 390 gems a week. :star_struck:

2 Likes

IRC has been the thing for quite a long time. I still remember that fondly, but newer formats make a lot of things easier now.

TeamSpeak was good before discord came and offered for free what TeamSpeak took money for - and more.

That’s why it’s the current go-to, especially for gamers (who it was developed by and for) but for various other communities as well.

I only use email because I have to have it for some things. And that used to be my main thing once, with Yahoo groups and such things.

As long I’m still able to go with the times, and find value for me personally I the new things, I’ll always try them. :grin:

1 Like

I guess we’re all kind of dating ourselves with talking about IRC here… :rofl:
Anyone have a 5 digit IRC number back in the days?

2 Likes

Anyone still have AOL dial-up :joy:

5 Likes

omg…I still hear that dial up noise when you wrote that! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I laughed so much when watching that scene with Sandra Bullock in the Proposal where she was stuck at the internet cafe putting in coins to get internet dial up

4 Likes

Well… That might exactly be why we don’t like the new rainbow unicorn barf design. We’re not too old to try new things and play games but we’re also not 13 and attracted to flashy stuff, especially if that means the usability suffers greatly.

5 Likes

Coins and internet dial-up? What era are you all from?

Internet stone age :grin:

3 Likes

8 Likes

Truth :joy: :joy: :candle:

Very true, except for those people who are reminiscing about the Woodstock, Puff the magic dragon, etc.

By now, I just want to be able to see what I’m doing and not get blinded by tons of “Bling” :sparkler:

2 Likes

I mean, bling is great in the right context, as are colors. But when there are so many that they all bleed together and some are nearly illegible then it makes everything nearly impossible to comprehend.

1 Like

:rofl:
How did you even find that example?! That’s really a perfect expression of the problem. :+1:

1 Like

My Google Fu is very strong. :wink:

Think I searched “highlighting everything” or something like that. And this showed up and was just perfect (sadly).

3 Likes

There are less players because folks are not locked down any longer so of course they have other things to do. Our guild family has no issues because we give folks choices. If you are in one of our guilds and do not have the time to keep up with the guild you are in then just ask and we will get you to a guild that suits you. We have lots of movement but if that’s what it takes to keep folks happy we are willing to do it. We do not force high Mins on anyone. We have competitive guilds and casual ones. Some folks are ok not finishing ever single thing. We have a discord and mostly folks search for us so we do not have to go crazy with daily recruiting or anything like that.

1 Like

I’m sure some of us can still be hip…or at least we don’t say cowabunga … :rofl:

1 Like