The Possessed Disappointment

My tpk now is a honeymoon with valdis on the pretty useless troops beach.

Tried him with a skull team (together with wrath) and 1 thing i noticed was the lame damage i was doing when casting wrath or glaycion, half board was skulls and wrath wasnt even killing 1 troop? should have been disintegrated with that many skull hits.

After a while i realized that was the too many explosions reducing the damage, most skull was getting destroyed by wrath and tpk explosions and so instead of a skull hit they was doing 1 and 5 damage each.

Now using Glay and bloodhammer it’s less flashy, shaking and pyrotechnic but after those 2 cast is usually game over.

As for filling mana with him, it explode 2 gems not half board, noticed today with goblin rocket in arena, exploded a gem that destroyed 2 blue gems and got a whopping ZERO blue mana, explosions themselves are basically useless right now, noticed aswell with mountain crusher of which i was a big fan time ago, now? more than half of the times dont even refill itself even as titan with +2 brown banner, DE or bronzelock work way better for mana gen right now.

Sure, if you’re lucky after the useless explosion can get a cascade but personally hate rely’ on luck that much.

With tpk you can have fun and can work well on easy stuff but for sure i would never use him on stuff like high lvl delve or so, it remind me the goblins, make lot of mess but when the mess calm down not much is done.

Oh, and about transform, night hag tooltip now is wrong seen it state the toad should be lvl 12 but isnt (to “fix” 1 thing, aka DE, they killed all transform troops that already had crap chances lol).

2 Likes

We just don’t have the same experience. My Mountain Crusher fills be back up almost every time.

Who is we, and by same experience are you referring to TDK or Mountain Crusher?

Because almost EVERYONE in my guild, a top guild on the PS4 mind you, feel just about exactly how I feel about TDK. Fun in his niche roles, has a really crappy spell.

We is Me and Micio, as « we » do not share the same experience regarding the Mountain Crusher

Yeah - I only use it in specific situations - basically, if there’s nothing else I want to do, and either the damage would kill (most of) the remaining troops, or if it’s fairly early on in the battle, or as a last resort Hail Mary (when I’m definitely going to lose, and transforming one of their troops to have no mana would potentially get me back in the game). It’s not what I’d call a strategy, though.

1 Like

I think your points are valid, I just don’t feel strongly.

Early in the game, the ability is the least risky because it’s the most likely that a “level 10 demon” is less powerful than what it replaces. Later in the game, either:

• I’m losing badly and the opponent is in great shape, so a transform is probably helpful.
  • I’m winning and the transform hurts me.

If I’m winning, I don’t mind if an ability drops off in utility even though I’d rather slam the door. If I’m losing, I’d like something stable but don’t mind a moonshot.

That said, it’s “an interesting” troop because it’s almost really good, and we can talk about ways it could be better without being broken. If they boost it, great! But I’m not really disappointed, as is.

It’d have to be Gargantuar to be disappointing. It’s pretty hard to be that bad. I can lay out when G would be good, but it’s not feasible to expect that. (Though I’ve been in a game where 12 troops had died and I was very scared to see one summoned in!)

Lets say the 3rd trait from TPK didn’t exist. Lets say TPK had Gargantaur’s 3rd trait.

Gargantaur would be better. At least it would be able to kill something, TPK may end up healing them via transformation if it doesnt land a killing blow.

I’ve been mostly using the spell as a hail mary, I have had enemies transform into Gorgotha more than once today. Which would be a bigger problem until you remember that summons are without traits right now lol.

1 Like

Right, so you agree with my points:

• The third trait is what makes TPK interesting.
  • So if you take away the third trait, TPK isn’t so interesting.
  • The trait alone is interesting, so you could put it on any mediocre troop to suddenly get an interesting troop.

If TPK has a quality that’d make you willing to even use Gargantaur, it has to follow that TPK is at least “interesting”.

1 Like

I realy love TPK. My fav Team:
Kraken
Jar of Eyes upgrade to 9
Taloca
TPK
Class Thief
The 3rd Trait from Kraken, Taloca and Thiefclass + the exploison is awesome. It works also great with class Titan.
I use the spell of the king only when i can kill 2 or more of the enemytroops or at the beginning.

1 Like

Has anyone else formulated a “buff” for TPK’s spell? I say buff in quotations because I REALLY mean alteration, but any alteration is basically a buff at this point, since his spell is so bad, and ultimately any time you alter a troop, usually a mythic, it is deemed a buff or nerf, so I may as well place the lingo myself. I digress.

I’m interested to see if anyone has any better alternatives to his spell. I am in favor of removing the second half of the spell in general, since that requires the least amount of work, least amount of reworking instilled mechanics, AND removes all of the negatives of the spell. HOWEVER, simplicity, though it is usually so, is not ALWAYS the best option. I’m open to creative ideas, as I understand the devs don’t WANT to create just another decent troops. It’s clear with the second half of his spell that they wanted something creative, and they damn sure got it. It’s just that I am finding too many drawbacks to level out the creative utility of the spell.

Even switching the order of the spell effects would help. That way the transform part isn’t erasing the damage part.

I am enjoying the discussion in this thread, as it seems that The Possessed King is a very contentious troop. This means we made him well! Lots of players are really enjoying him, while he doesn’t fit into other people’s play styles at all.

The more I build teams with the Possessed King the more I am appreciating him as a troop. His third skill is awesome, and I also enjoy the risk of his spell. (I mean, I didn’t love that he transformed two troops in a battle I was in, and made one of them ABYNISSIA, but it did make for a good laugh!)

1 Like

But that way may aswell happen that you try to finish off some nearly dead troops only to turn them into full health new troops, that after will take damage but hardly tpk is dangerous for any full armor/hp troop.

Everytime we argue about something you add a “golden star” for it on the “Contentious Leaderboard” and then everyone in the office feels proud of their work?

I wonder exactly how many “stars” certain things in the game have by now… :skull:

Well, for wasting time can be fun and about a Abynissia happened the exact same, i was jusr wasting time on 1 trophy matches with a silly team made just to fill tpk , forest troll, sea troll, ladt anarea and tpk, last enemy troop turned into her and in no time i found myself vs 3 infernal kings and aby.

@Razzagor I can’t tell if I miscommunicated what I meant or if you are being cheeky.

It’s good because it supports a variety of playstyles, but isn’t overwhelming. The introduction of TPK didn’t shift the meta, but players are still enjoying him and he is seeing a fair amount of use in game. TPK is particularly fun to play against other demon teams, and his third trait means that even if a player doesn’t enjoy his spell (which I personally do :heart:) he still has a practical use.

2 Likes

That looks pretty neat. I’ll have to give that a go. Thanks.

1 Like

@Saltypatra, I’ve seen only a few people on this post actually doubting his utility. And NO ONE has said his third trait is bad in any way. As you continue to point out, his third trait is about ALL he has going for him.

Sadly, you’re attributing the success of his trait to the success of the troop. The troop overall, as indicated in my above post, is lackluster almost every step of the way.

*His colors prevent use in GW Atk teams with fun daemons like Gorgotha, Yao Guai, Wrath, etc;

*his stats are nothing special;

*his first trait is pointless;

*his second trait is pointless;

*his spell does decent damage at best;

*being a Darkstone troop doesn’t exactly give him a whole lot of oomph either, though it does give him a larger pool of same kingdom teammates since it is one of the few faction kingdoms, but the synergy isn’t too grand between he and his kingdom;

*and being a human/daemon doesn’t make him stand out either, though I’m not complaining because it’s nice to finally see a decent human as a troop for once.

As I continue to say, and I’m not attacking or arguing with you in anyway, I think the troop is fun. I’m glad you guys feel proud of creating another troop that is successful in seeing use in lots of players’ teams, as you should be. I’m happy for you, because at the end of the day, that’s what makes it worth it.

However, while I understand it’s your job to defend the products of your team, it feels like you’re completely ignoring what many people in this topic are saying, in that his spell is NOT good. And again, let me expand on the fact that it’s only that way due to the gimmicky nature of the second half of his spell.

It is easy to deem that second half as a “not for everyone” kind of thing, which is true. Just like I have a hard time convincing my brother to use Thrall as a fast mana-generator, not every troop will be to everyone’s liking, and not every troop is seen as the same amount of FUN for every one. That’s not being debated, at least not be myself. The ONLY thing I’m asking be reviewed, talked about among the team, and commented on is the fact that the second half of his spell could be OPTIMIZED to make the troop more fun for every one who ALREADY enjoys him.

At this point, if you don’t like him, you don’t like him. I don’t think you’ll EVER like him no matter what tweaks go on with him, unless you rework the whole troop. That’s not being called for, just a re-thinking of his spell. And really, I don’t think you’ll hurt anyone’s feelings if you have his transform portion become more strategic than gimmicky. That’s all that I’M asking for at least. I have lots of fun with him, congrats! As I stated before, I’ve been looking forward to this troop for MONTHS. I’m happy, but disappointed. I suppose my title is misleading, as I don’t think the TROOP is a disappointment, it’s my overall expectations that were met with disappointment.

JonathanStriker

November 12

alt Zeddicus2017:
Try him in this group, if you can, it’s pretty amazing.

That looks pretty neat. I’ll have to give that a go. Thanks.

1 Like

I have a basic chart to help you with that:

I believe that now it’s all clear, keep it for future consultation. :skull:

5 Likes