(!) Spoiler Alert (!) -- [Any Details Provided are Subject to Change] (Part 1)

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: statistics is the only branch of mathematics where things don’t work exactly the way you think they should. Wrapping your head around random chances is really hard, which is why most people are awful at understanding probabilities.

5 Likes

My experience with topology begs to differ. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I think a lot of people struggle with maths in general. I once bought something in a store and it costs 9.10. Gave the cashier 10.10 so that she would have to bother with change but it completely confused her. I gave up after a few minutes.

5 Likes

##Next week’s event troop

This spoiler image is fan-assembled from game files, and is UNOFFICIAL

REMINDER: All future troop details are subject to change at any time. (Retrieved 2017-05-29)

Dark Priestess
Ultra-Rare / Ghulvania / Elf Mystic
Spell: Screaming Skulls (10 Green/Purple) - Create 8 Skulls. Drain [Magic+2] Life from an Ally and convert it into Attack.
Traits: Warded / Cursed / Arcane
Requires: Minor Magic, Arcane Venom Traitstones
Max stats: Attack - 15; Life - 31; Armor - 13; Magic - 6 (When fully ascended and level 20)
Flavor Text: Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio.
Will arrive in 7 days (2017-06-05).

6 Likes

That is gotta be the weirdest spell yet.

Trying to figure out what this troop actually does. Is the drain just true damage, or is it a steal. And who gets the attack? the priestess or the target?

1 Like

I am thrilled to see that spell, since it paves the way for my personal troop idea: drain armor from allies, convert to life for allies, and do damage based on amount drained.

Edit: admittedly, Bone Dragon is much less of a threat now than when I first had that thought.

1 Like

@mraider94 I agree that’s weird drafting… yeah I’d read it as deal true damage and gain an equal amount of attack…

Seems a little strong for only 10 mana… 8 skulls is a risky amount to create I suppose…

I read it as the targeted ally gets health drained and then that is given back as attack to the same troop.

Gonna be awesome on Bat and Draak that gain health back on cast and/or skull hits. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I thought it was converting it to her attack. Maybe its not too late for the devs to make it easier to tell? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Oooh you are right, I completely misread it. Missed the bit where it was target an ally…! well that’d have to be the ally that gained the attack, I guess… but it is ambiguous… @Nimhain one for devs to explain and make clearer on the card, I guess…

1 Like

Yes it is ambiguous, will be interesting to see which way it does go. One way is far more useful than the other in my mind. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Spell steps are (if I read them correctly):

1. Create 8 skulls.
  2. Give the target ally Magic+2 attack.
  3. Dispel the same target ally (remove barrier and enchant status).
  4. Deal Magic+2 true damage to the same target ally.

If any of you thought the spell description is weird, I’m sure you’d agree the steps are even weirder.

3 Likes

waaaa?

That even seems worse than the innkeeper.

1 Like

It’s not just random chances, statistics can be pretty counter intuitive. Statistically speaking, most people have an above average number of legs.

5 Likes

I figured that’s how it’s read.
Basically, you can trade an allies Life for Attack and spawn 8 skulls for a chance at using that newly acquired Attack. Though I’m unsure if it’ll be/stay damage or true damage.

The dispelling part makes me think that either the Spell info is out of date, or the way the spell triggers is.

Either way, I’ve no use for her. But she’ll be an interesting troop for sure. First ever stat-exchange drainer!

The dispel is probably to remove barrier so you can’t weasel your way out of paying the cost. Draak’s drain is blocked by barrier, or more exactly the barrier prevents the damage but he still gains the life.

If it counts as a Stat Loss instead of damage does Barrier trigger? For the life of me I forget if the Aspect of Death bypasses Barrier.

Removing armor by other means beside normal damage ignores barrier (meaning the armor gets removed and the barrier stays). This includes stuff like Bone Dragon’s spell.

Removing life by any means - spell, trait, whatever - breaks barrier, and saves the troop from damage.

Most obvious way to observe it is when a troop has Barrier and Burn. As long that the burn damage hits armor, the barrier will not pop (but the damage will apply). as soon that the damage reaches life, the barrier will pop.

Removing Barrier (right as Barrier is slated to be buffed) and removing Enchant (for absolutely no discernable reason other than “that’s how the mechanics work out, sad trombone”) and dealing true damage (which is particularly bad for what will presumably be your top-of-the-stack troop) just for an Attack buff is…a lot. Even if it’s for a bunch of Attack, nope, sorry, just nope.

A more practical version of this that keeps the same concept would be something like dealing damage to a target ally, then giving Attack to the top ally, so you can bleed someone lower in the stack in order to buff the top of the stack. Hell, if you really want to be clever about it, then if a Barrier or Enchant is removed from the target ally then you could also apply that same effect to the top ally at the same time.

Wow that troop seems aweful.
Half kill one of your troops to give it more attack and produce an amount of skulls that will most of the time end up giving the turn to your opponent along with skull matches to kill said troop.
It does look cool though…which again only makes it worse that this troop seems so terrible and will not be used.

1 Like