So what's the story behind your gamer handle?

I originally started using sunsetter to tick a guildy off in Wow. They would get pissy if anyone had a name close to his and his wife’s name. (Sun and moon something ) so I made a killer rogue and decimated them all the time in pvp. It’s kind of stuck :metal:

4 Likes

It’s unknown.

6 Likes

For the last several years, I’ve used place names from Middle Earth as handles. I try Mitheithel first generally, but I’ve also used Hollin, RiverBruinen, Zirakzigil, and Gilrain.

2 Likes

My username are the initials of CyborgSelZero, my very first username that I’m still using on YouTube.

It’s the name of one of my earlier OCs (back in the day when I had only 10, now I have over 300 :sweat_smile: )

2 Likes

Is there any way to play PQ1 somewhere still?

My game name comes from the time of Second Life. When you start there you had to (have to?) choose from a list of last names and you can make up your own first name. Being a Marvel fan and stumbling over the last name ‘Kit’, I kind of liked the sound of the two: Marvel Kit. Of course, being an non-native speaker I never realized a ‘marvel kit’ could really be an object, like an assembly kit of a car or transformer or any Marvel thing that you have to put together. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve used some variant of Studs Terkle forever (probably 20 years) but only discovered the origin of my name several years ago.

As a kid, I thought I came up with it b/c it sounded funny while also being close enough to real to pass as a name. It wasn’t until several years ago that I learned this was an actual, famous person (that only recently passed away). Studs Terkel is a Pulitzer Prize winning historian and also hosted a long-running Chicago-based radio program. I’ve since read quite a bit about him, listened to some of his programs, and read his most famous book. His work is really incredible and I’m now a big fan. I clearly heard the name somewhere as a kid, thought it was funny, and appropriated it years later without knowing it. In the process, I also misspelled it.

Oh, and my title is a reference to Don Quixote. “Tilting at windmills” is an idiom stemming from the book that basically means to attack imagined enemies (often due to misconception). I thought it appropriate for an internet forum.

7 Likes

I am endlessly fascinated with this mental process that humans have.

2 Likes

The whole comment really puts me into a reflective mood, man. Thank you for sharing.

Not a lot of people can understand the pain of working on something for 2+ years, pouring heart and soul into it and it amounting to sweet “nothing”. Of course the lessons we learn are more valuable than any words I can say, but there is always those heartbreaks.

My first exposure to this crushing defeat was my part in the NANI / AMOA fiasco. Ouch dude. Mega ouch. Goodbye innocence LMAO :slight_smile: (NANI: The Arcade Superhighway)

I think I’m going to go for a walk in the snow and ponder my life…

edit: @Sirrian, do you have any experiences like this you feel like sharing?

3 Likes

Mine is simply the name of a dwarf D&D character which is much more unique than what I used to go by (and still do if I can) when I first got on the Internet 20 years ago: Spiderman :slight_smile: But I’ve played almost all of Steve’s games except for Galactrix and PQ2; the former because I’m not really into Sci-Fi and the latter because I just never got around to it. The turn-based Warlords series are one of my all-time favs although I couldn’t quite get the switch in Warlords IV. And I tried the Battlecry games but RTS’s aren’t really my thing either.

People are still asking at the I2 forums if you’re still developing, Steve :wink:

3 Likes

I Affect the way the game is played therefore Mrs Affects it is.

3 Likes

I smiled when I saw the A word instead of the E word - niiiiiiice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@EVERYBODY— This thread has cost me my :heart: 's!

I have since discovered that although GoW does not have an energy mechanic… the FORUM does! :cry:

SO, I will have to refrain from :heart:-ing things for a while to let my stockpile of :heart:'s regrow.

If I missed you, or you do not see my face under your like list… know this…

I like you and your story, very much. :wink:

12 Likes

You can still get all the Puzzle Quest Games on Steam.

3 Likes

I’m a weatherman. Rather than chasing storms, storms (convective and non-convective type) come to me.

3 Likes

Neat. My dad was in the Canadian Meteorological Services for 42 years!

Used to read a lot of fantasy novels. Zhoreb was a character in a Tanith Lee short story I think, in the eighties something.

@Sirrian And Warlords, OMG Warlords! It never registered with me the tag line on the GoW site (Greetings, Warlords! – Gems of War). until now. So many fond memories of being greeted by that line. Must have played that game for years. At least until HoMM III shadow of death took over :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have a story like that, Kuro! I posted it on another forum a while back. Let me find it:

Back in the day, circa 2003-07, I was a member of a rather simple and not-userfriendly, but fun text-based MUD called Betholia. It had a sprawling tile-based overworld that took forever to explore, mostly since you were limited to 1 action every 3 seconds and most everyone just memorised coordinates and teleported to where they felt like hunting. However, the usual hunting grounds were just big enough that you could randomly run into another player, or just search for them if they posted in chat, which led to…

Relevant Link.

Well, this. That’s the title screen of the game, and yes, that is the same Zuboki. It was a point of pride for me to go about hunting all sorts of newbies, lowbies, or just normal players with poor reflexes. Any time someone posted coordinates publicly, I was there. If they said they were hunting in the mountains, I did a sweep for them. If they were looking for stat gains, I sold them Red Powder (White Powder was a great healing item. Red powder killed the player instantly when used). I pumped my attack and chance to hit as high as they could go, and had a ridiculous dodge chance. I essentially built my character for ganking.

Now this was a game with a normal community and a more powerful group of “premium” players, and I never bought premium (although I did kill a few of them, and eventually someone bought me premium “just to see the world burn”, they said), so I did have to run from the White Knights who seeked to end my reign (and run I did! I died maybe 4 times, compared to my ~200 kills).

I was always finding new ways to kill. The developer patched several of my favorites after I found them, including

• Teleporting someone to a 1-tile pvp-enabled dungeon cell from a “safe” nonPVP zone
  • Hell, creating “safe” zones in the first place! (The dev thought we’d all be a bit more cooperative.)
  • Locking a < level10 player in an attic with an Ice Dragon (after they enabled a “safe 1st ten levels” rule)
  • Selling someone poison, and picking up all of his stuff after he drank it and died (Newbie items became “soulbound” to prevent this)
  • Oh so many more. Through social engineering, relentlessness, and general craftiness, there were few players I hadn’t gotten a kill on.

I was actually friends with a lot of the higher-ups, who found my antics amusing, and I had a few copycats, who wanted to be like me. I even had a few newbies swear on revenge, which inspired them to play the game even more. In essence, me being a completely murderous ass actually helped the game. I’m far nicer than I was in high school, but that doesn’t stop me from feeling great, great pride in my days as an evil badass.

5 Likes

Zuboki, my friend, you are the living embodiment of the .hack world. My hat is off to you, sir.

2 Likes

Fun Fact!
In 1992 when I recorded that line, I had no access to proper recording equipment apart from what passed as a moderately decent soundblaster sound card & a $25 dollar microphone.
To get the reverb on “GREETINGS, WARLORD”, I had to move a PC into the bathroom, hold the mic in the toilet bowl and yell “GREETINGS, WARLORD” into the toilet!
Same for all the voice in that game… me yelling at a toilet. Not a good day in my development history…

23 Likes