[Reported] Rattigar Cutpurse's broken Boost Ratio

So for the Switch weekend we have a Dark Pits Faction Assault with the new Rattigar Cutpurse, whose spell does:

Please say that the “50:1” ratio is a typo!

There is NO way this ratio (between Gold and spell damage) makes any practical sense:

• By default, there is a cap of 100 Gold per battle, meaning that Rattigar Cutpurse never gets more than a +2 damage bonus from its spellcast.
  • (edit: not applicable - Gold stolen is not affected by Money traits)
    Even if you’re running a team with 4 x Moneybags (e.g. defeating Cedric Sparklesack during a Delve), that’s still only a +10 damage bonus. Heck, even the theoretical maximum (3 x Cedric + 1 Rattigar Cutpurse + 4 x Moneybags delve bonus) yields only +16 bonus damage.
  • But because Rattigar Cutpurse steals a scalable (not fixed) amount of Gold, the amount of Gold you can actually steal (and thus any bonus damage) is limited by the Troop’s own Magic stat – if you don’t have at least 48 Magic, the boost ratio yields NO bonus damage at all. Even if you’re running a Magic-buffing team (Scorpius, Garnetaerlin, Emperinazara, etc) most battles will be over LONG before you see even a +1 from the boost ratio.

Most other Troops with a Boost Ratio based on Gold have not only a higher ratio from Gold to whatever effect, but it’s a MUCH higher ratio:

At least 18 Troops and 3 Weapons
  • Bonnie Rose - 2:1 (bonus damage)

• Broker of Greed - 1:1 (boost a random stat)

• Corben Half-Elf - 10:1 (explode Gems)
    Similarly:
    Raksha Free-Blood (explode Gems)
    Leprechaun (explode Green Gems)

• Egg Thief - 3:1 (destroy Gems)

• Gog and Gud - 1:1 (bonus damage)

• Hoard Mimic - 2:1 (gain Life)

• King of Thieves - 5:1 (boost all stats)

• Mecha Rat - 1:1 (summon self)

• Moneylender - 4:1 (create Red Gems, max 14)

• Quickpaw Jack - 1:1 (bonus damage, max 50)

• Raksha Free-Blood - 10:1 (explode random Gems)

• Red Charlotte - 3:1 (regain Mana)

• Sharkey - 3:1 (bonus scatter damage)

• Tomb Robber - 5:1 (create Skulls, max 14)

• Street Thief - 1:1 (create Purple Gems, max 16)

• Wazir - 3:1 (bonus damage)

• Bronzelock Pistol - 4:1 (destroy Gems)

• Plunder and Peril - 2:1 (bonus damage, both ally+enemy Gold)

• Skeleton Key - 3:1 (bonus damage)

Even if we only compare Troops who boost by Gold stolen, we still have:

• Quickpaw Jack - 1:1 (bonus damage up to +50)
  • Street Thief - 1:1 (Create 6-16 Purple Gems)

So why does Rattigar Cutpurse have such a meaningless Boost Ratio?

4 Likes

It’s 50:1 on PC/mobile also; was mentioned a couple of times in its faction weekend thread, no response from CS:

2 Likes

Let’s not forget, that the amount of gold stolen is limited by magic value, I think at a rate of magic+2, and that the enemy team does not benefit from your increased gold capacity either (which means, you can’t steal more at once, than they can carry).
So a 2% bonus boost is still on the upper end of the spell scale.

Someone accidentially added a zero there and then did not look back.

2 Likes

Just like

Taureas a mythic with a 50:1 ration

Weaker than some epic troops.

1 Like

Yep, learned that one pretty quickly with Street Thief.

I know the incorrect boost ratio to ratigar cutpurse wasn’t corrected on other platforms, so why would it be corrected for Nintendo switch?:rofl:

@Bramble @Kafka or anyone else that can clarify this?

Rattigar Cutpurse never made sense as a troop for a Dark Pits faction expansion in the first place lol. Dark Pits has nothing to do with gold, so it never had any viable use.

5 Likes

Even at boost 1:1 the troop is rarely useful: it boosts only when the enemy has gold. Too situational to be any good.

3 Likes

I have just verified the boost mechanism with Street Thief (1:1):
stealing 6 gold at +400% Moneybags creates 6+6 purple gems (not the 6+10 cap). This means that, if Cutpurse follows the same rule, its boost would likewise receive no benefit from Moneybags.

So the condition for a +1 boost is:

• Cutpurse needs 48 Magic
  • enemy has 50 gold

Which is very unlikely to ever happen, for a mere +1 boost single damage?
The ‘industry standard’ for this kind of case should be to strike off that boost text entirely, being entirely useless clutter.

At boost 1:1 it is still no more than damage boosted by “up to” Magic; being so situational that is not particularly stronger than quite many troops which do Magic double target or Splash damage. So that should be the correct and intended boost ratio. Or perhaps 2:1.

It reads 10:1 on my Switch. Easily +14 boost or so (without extra buffing the troop), to all enemies.

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:

I’ve since let the development team know about this issue, and they’ve alerted me that this is purely a visual issue.

• The boost is x1
3 Likes

Thanks Bramble.

The problem is that, I should have tested it out first, but couldn’t since I don’t have the troop, being disinterested about getting it back then as it looked underwhelming. So what about distributing one copy to everyone, so that we can experience the true power of the troop? :grinning:

Okay, that would be good news! (I was unable to verify this myself, due to not owning/obtaining a copy of the Troop either.)

This however raises the question, how do spelltexts even have an incorrect Boost Ratio to begin with? Does it not already have direct internal access to the spell’s actual data?

Looks like my suggestion of a free copy to everyone is warranted. :grinning:

Verified that the boost ratio is really 1:1
(Conveniently got a Cutpurse while gathering treasures for the weekend Faction Assault on Switch.)

Opponent has 4 gold. Tooltip shows “boost +4”, and the spell actually does 18+4 damage.

(On another occasion, also verified that the boost does not benefit from Moneybags, as expected.)

3 Likes

I’ve raised this with the team again, thanks

1 Like

On a side note, I can’t find any real practical use for Cutpurse except against Sunday dungeon Mimic. Even there it’s a bit unwieldy because Mimic has stealth, so you need a stunner besides the Godslayer already. That crowds out team space, especially if you also get trapped and needs Sister Superior.