[PREVIEW] 5.0.0 Update Breakdown and Discussion

They arent only in top 3 brackets though. There are players who only play for GW in a lot lower brackets trying to move up.

Artifact stats were placeholders. Uncertain what the actual benefit will be.

1 Like

@Lorien1973
yeep, it’s to be seen, what will be stats and how much jump there will be between levels 5-9, but i guess, that artifacts stats gained on levels can be manipulated in a way, that the only differance in stats in GW weeks will be let’s say: 5 life…(or something even more marginal like +1 life/armor/attack) requires some work, but can be easily done (seeing as it applies to week 5,6,7,8,9 and GW have fixed time for weeks)

Anyways i can see guilds trying to do all new 16tasks on monday in GW week to have that slith advantage in stats over those who didn’t do these task. I can also see people complately ignoring the campain after GW, if it was last GW during campain (so weeks 7 and up)

Minor stat bonuses won’t change your GW result. If you lose to a team with an extra 2 magic or 3 attack, you were going to lose to that team anyways.

This game has so much overkill in it; that the minor stat bumps are near- irrelevant.

3 Likes

Agree, in some very rare situations, having that 1 life point and being able to cast troops spell can be a battle winner. But these are very rare, and usually there are other factors that had bigger impact than the stats themselves.

1 Like

For a final, and perhaps irrelevant comparison, our 4th highest score was by a recent Lvl 1000 Vanguard with +9, +12, +19, and +17 bonus stats.

So he outscored the Paragon and other Champion despite having the same number of losses but fewer stats not only due to the GW Sentinel boost but also lack of Kingdom/Delve progression.

I remember getting mad at Soldiers in b1 who wouldn’t even spend the 2000 souls to get +2 Magic. But if they were going to go 2/3 regardless, I guess +2 Magic wasn’t going to help much anyway.

Thanks all for the breakdown and discussion. I am looking forward to a hopefully bug-free release. Okay, perhaps only a few minor bugs, and an insignificant exploit or two that is resolved prior to the next GW.

The tasks sound like fun, as long as there is a good variety.

Overall, I think the passes are a good direction for game monetization, moving away from (legally imperilled) RNG systems.

My biggest criticism / suggestion: Artifact bonuses should not be active for GW battles. I say this as someone who will likely buy the Elite+ passes. I just don’t want to see a situation where competitive guilds make those purchases mandatory.

7 Likes

Being forced to do tedious “fetch-it” quests week after week just to get a temporary stat boost for guild wars suuuucks. It already seems like we get a list of chores to do on a daily basis. Have fun watching your stats drop by 37 every 11 weeks. You are going to feel like a mouse on a wheel.

1 Like

Whatever is happening with a precarious balance of the F2P-P2W scales, but I’m more worried about this (bold highlighting mine):

I remember the time when having something on weekend was fun. For example, a New Class Trial: you can play it, you can skip it if you don’t have time, either way you’ll have the next month to play around with and level the new class until another new class arrives.

But as the guild events were added to the weekends, it became awful. Invasion’s rewards are guild based, if you skip it, you are letting your guild down. So in my guild I see people who had enough time+gems to play the weekend Invasion a lot, and they feel disappointed that we hadn’t reached some stage of rewards because not everyone could have been as active. And I see people who actually had real-life plans for the weekend, but logged-in to do at least something in the Invasion because they were with us for a long time and don’t want to let us down. And I see people who thought that they paid their due in the current week-long guild event, like they did for the guild what they should have already this week, so they left with a clear conscious only to discover later that they totally forgot about the Invasion. It’s a lot of negative emotions all around, both for those who played it and for those who didn’t.

And now there will more of that.

I catch myself more and more with thoughts like ‘Hooray! This weekend it’s only a cosmetic pet rescue, nothing more’ or ‘Only GW this week, finally a week to relax from all the time-consuming guild events’. What is it about the game if the happy emotions come from not having rather than having events?

You want to have some gem&time-sink on any given day of the week? No problem, make Invasion and Raid Boss (and Tower of Doom in the future?) single-player events, nothing’s stopping you from scaling it down enough so one player can reach all rewards with buying the same x-number of Tiers you want from him now. People still will buy tiers for the new weapon alone, and with the guarantee that all rewards can be reached independent of other people participation, some more will be buying a higher tier to finish all stages. This way it can be a weekend thing a player actually wants to play, not forced to.

Some months I buy tiers to finish Bounty, some months I don’t. I’m not hurting my guild either way. But if I do the same with Invasion/Raid Boss it’ll be a different story.

In my opinion, there should be ONLY ONE guild event on any given week:

• Some people play on weekends, some on weekdays, some play daily, some are working Friday-Sunday and have some other days of the week free. With a week-long event everyone has the chance to play the event when they want (and finish some sigils on weekend, but that’s not as much time as doing everything on the weekend), and not to be emotionally blackmailed into playing when they had no plan to.
  • When there are several guild events at once, it feels like work, not fun. The poor guild leaders had to coordinate a lot of things all at once, and the players in their guilds had to not forget to participate everywhere.
  • Combining GW with anything else will probably make ‘the content’ of GW worse. Top brackets might still put effort into it, but the majority can end up just putting the same defense teams every month, because there is just no free time to breath and think about creating new defenses. We already have enough days of fighting against the same boring looping teams, making GW a side-event-to-skip-through wouldn’t make the situation any better.

And another thing.
It started up small, a Wednesday for pet rescue, a Thursday for class trial, but then it got out of hand. Monday is the only day now when I can actually choose what to play in GoW without feeling like I’m missing on something that’s going on (and even that without considering daily delves/dungeon/adventure board). Now there will be this campaign stuff, that’ll probably make sense to do on this one remaining ‘free’ day. So it’s a full Monday-Sunday shindig? No, thanks. I love this game, but it’s just too much.

But to end on a more positive note, I actually liked the weekly tasks of killing troops of some colour and such, felt like the community was so supportive when many people set up PVP defenses to help each other. I’m glad that something like this is returning as a part of the campaign.

11 Likes

Regarding the stats influencing GW I can agree these are minimal, that would only influence a battle in extremely rare cases.

However these are still the only point of the preview I’m strongly against for two reasons:

• This is the first implementation of a clear P2W component in Gems. Yes the difference is minimal, the extra stats would at worst affect only half of the Campaign but it is the first incidence of a “feature” being completely paywalled.
    No amount of play will give you those stats when comparing players at the same level (assuming exact same kingdoms,delves,etc.)

• Secondly and for me this is the most important, it opens the precedent. Accept this and you will lose ground for refusing further developments of this genre.

Monetization in games nowadays didn’t start this way from the beginning. And yet you now have mobiles games where one player can spend hundreds of thousands in microtransactions.

I’d rather cut any such things early on than having to to see this progress the wrong way and only protesting when they start selling blatant P2W stuff.

9 Likes

What is fully paywalled?

Paying simply makes the same stats happen a tad quicker.

For me it’s only fun until it’s not fun anymore. I don’t get how a lot of you play something you feel
is too much work or not fun anymore.

GoW is not the only game I play. Currently I have two other games on my plate and I’m about to start Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise as I just got it on sale. If I don’t find something fun anymore I simply won’t play it. If this new update rolls out and I find it’s not worth my time I’m just going to not play it and dump it into Grand Theft Auto online or Fist of the North Star.

I seriously hope it’s not true but it sounds like a lot of people here feel like they have to make a choice between GoW and other things they would much rather do. That shouldn’t even be a choice. If there is something in the game you don’t want to bother with then don’t bother with it. Just play the parts you want. This isn’t like Street Fighter. When you play a defense team you’re not really playing against another player anyway. It’s just a bot controlling another player’s characters.

A handful of stat points during half of the Campaign’s duration.
Minimal yes, but there will be no alternatives to getting those stats for any other player than those having bought the Elite+ pass.

True, not only is it a temporary advantage it is also a minimal one. However as I said I’m more concerned about the precedent.

The only sure way to prevent blatant P2W is to prevent P2W at all in my opinion.

3 Likes

The bonus from artefact is applied everywhere and devs didn’t have time or didn’t consider it was important to add a sort of filter in GW to not take artefact bonus into account. That is it.
Still it is just my guess :stuck_out_tongue:

It was bought up, and it wasnt forgotten about or ignored. It was done with full intent.

1 Like

im throw this out there (sorry i havent read much of this thread and dont know whats already been said.)

its not about how “little or big” the stat gains are. matter of fact that many troops are borderline game breaking already with all of the stats that have been introduced already. i hardly ever match any gems while playing Gems of War anymore. Explode then one shot everyone, or destroy the whole board then one shot everyone. With another 6 magic… all you need is a destroy troop and a strong magic based troop, no need to every match gems. similar story for attack/skull teams, 1 skull one shots in almost all cases for me, however you do need to find the alignments for those teams.

ide like to see GoW be a strategy game. not use X+Y troops and one shot grind.

3 Likes

Off set by 20 life and 5 armor before it gets that high.
Which certainly negates the effectiveness of it.
And it sounds like the difference between free players and elite players negates it even more.
Like paid players can only have +2 more magic than free players.
So yeah all this outrage over the effects of stat bonuses from paid passes effecting GW more than medals, Factions, epic tasks and level 15 kingdoms…is hyperbole at it’s finest.
For $35 - $50 a player could buy +4 magic in the form of a Nysha Medal. While a free to play player has to grind countless hours to get the same bonus.

Do I wish the stats were seperate from GW? Absolutely. But only because I wish the stats were much much much higher.
Investing into an Elite Pass could be a great way to knock out old Factions outside of 24 hour periods. But the bonuses are so low (probably due to GW) that they will help only a little in regards to Factions.

I wonder, though — would (could) these stats be boosted by Kingdom level 12 and 14, (added to hoard and then multiplied)?

Probably not. But if so, they might actually be significant.

All depends on how all the various stat increases/multipliers are put together, I guess, and whether devs want to add or multiply these “more stats” to our delve attempts as they did with potions (added), medals (added), and deeds (multiplied)…

No, I dont believe so. Unless there is an unintended bug in the code, that boost only applies to stat points gained from that particular kingdoms faction hoard.

1 Like

Reason #1 that I’m being so vocal about this.

“It’s only $1 a week, quit being cheap and support the game.” It’s $1 a week now. In a game with weekly $50 “deals”, constant flash offers, and even some weapons already locked behind a $5 paywall. If this shows positive returns, do you really think they’re not going to raise the price or add juicier perks to the $25 tier?

Businesses exist to make money. This game is not a charity to the players. People need to remember that.

10 Likes