Nonexistent Descending Stairs

Do Descending Stairs in the Dungeons even exist anymore? I keep getting useless Ascending Stairs even though I’m still at Level 2. The old Dungeons were much better and I shudder to think what 6.6 will bring.

2 Likes

I had 8 descending stairs so far, which took me down to level 9. I know that many people don’t want to hear it, but it’s just plain RNG.

But why were the old dungeons better? You can still do your 3 battles a day, getting the same rewards as before, plus the same offer to buy resources for 50 gems.
Everything else is a bonus.

3 Likes

I have descended to level 6 and agree with PhoenixFlamer.

Looking forward to 6.6! :wink:

1 Like

If you have no plans on buying the extra new stuff with gems, the old dungeons are still a better experience.

They were faster to clear with weaker enemies, not having to pick doors and traps naturally slowing the battles down. The extra jewels and shards don’t really make up for that. More importantly, players aren’t left with frustration from not getting a perfect run on a near daily basis. As much as you want to tell people Dragonites is just a bonus, it doesn’t change the fact its frustrating to fail over and over.

7 Likes

But failure is how I learn!

…that RNG is not my friend.

2 Likes

Well said. The material rewards are no worse than previously, but the high probability of springing traps makes the experience as a whole feel worse than previously.

3 Likes

I gotta agree with @TheIdleOne here. Even though I have huge excesses of diamonds and jewels, I still didn’t mind doing my 3 Dungeon fights every day before the recent update, because I could knock out the whole thing in just 45 seconds with Phoenicia. But with having to take time to pick rooms, higher level enemies and those pain in the donkey traps, I don’t even bother doing my fights if a trap is found (though I’ll still check other rooms in case of descending stairs or treasure room).

1 Like

Honestly, @Madd_Hurricane and @TheIdleOne have valid points as well. It is a pain trying to pick rooms then you end up feeling like an idiot because you found a Trap.

1 Like

100% what @TheIdleOne said.

Rationally I know the expected average outcome from the new Dungeon is better. But emotionally? Failing day after day after day – I still have yet to get a perfect run – is enormously demoralizing.

Some of the high-level pure-faction delves are similarly mostly luck-based but at least there there’s (a) some aspect of player skill and (b) an opportunity to improve your luck by increasing your Hoard. Neither of these exist in the Dungeon; it’s a pure slot machine.

(Yeah, I’m doing the recording the rooms and looking for patterns thing. Hasn’t worked. I’m fairly sure I’m just trying find structure in random noise; as humans we’realways prone to this.)

This is bad design all around: both the perfect-run and the random-dragon-from-egg mechanics are machines for frustrating rather than delighting players.

7 Likes