New Pet - Urskoala

I once had an opportunity to get a pet koala… Currumbin wildlife refuge has around seventy koalas they told me. Notice lack of an exact number… But I wasn’t sure how to get him on the plane, and I dunno if eucalyptus cough drops are enough to live on. It should be, because real eucalyptus leaves taste awful.

Well, not saying this is why, but I do know a few Aussies that would say ‘yours koalas’.

Edit:

It would go, “… S’right mate, she’s yours koala mate.”

Please be civil with each other when discussing issues of a sensitive nature. @Evelyn has approached this very openly and respectfully, so please respond with the same level of thought and kindness.

As Evelyn’s responses haven’t violated any community guidelines (aside from being slightly off topic) I will be removing the flags. Please re-familiarise yourself with our guidelines before flagging in the future, as disagreeing with someone is not a reason to flag a post.

10 Likes

If you want civil, then you need to keep politics out of the forum period. @Evelyn should have never brought this drama to the forum, and you encouraging it now will not end well.

Sadly far too many people in this world know nothing about history. Then when someone posts about the reality of the day it’s offensive? The fact that some of you watched the video and didn’t read the article is very telling. If you bothered to read it, you would have seen that it explained the day from multiple different points of view…

4 Likes

People need to be able to discuss politics and their beliefs. It is entirely possible to have a civil discussion if all parties behave themselves and act with a even a modicum of decorum.

7 Likes

As I’ve stated over and over, I am not the one bringing politics into Gems of War. IP2/505 brought politics into Gems of War by including an event for a holiday that is fundamentally political, a holiday that is deeply offensive to a group that has long been treated as inferior by our society (holding a “celebration” on a day of mourning being one example of that treatment). It’s not as if I’m proposing any kind of counter-statement about Australia Day or changing the date. I don’t want anyone’s politics in GoW, which is why I am asking that this not happen again in the future.

I’m not going to bring a political debate of Australia Day itself here, because I can’t imagine we’re going to solve that one in the Gems of War Community. If anyone wants to read about what happened starting on January 26, 1788, even Wikipedia has a decent explanation, though it’s quite abridged and lacking some details.

3 Likes

In 1 minute a Bard class event starts. Therefore Gems of War is bringing up the 100% discrimination that Witchers have to deal with on a day by day basis.
Speaking of ridiculous…

Comments made on a seperate thread because though it “cites” the pet holiday. Discussion of the holiday is off topic. And if someone is truly offended then they should start their own thread on the matter for folks to either read or ignore. Instead of piggy backing on an “official news thread” in hopes of getting more attention than if it was posted as an “off topic” subject.
Lastly…toss a coin to your Witcher you cheap “fatherless sons”.

The way you repeatedly draw comparisons to “absurd” reasons why people might be offended, as though this isn’t a real issue that offends real human beings for real and valid reasons, is really pretty demeaning. I can’t say I find it funny. Inventing reasons why other holidays (or other things in the game) might be offensive does not make arguments about why a specific holiday is offensive look bad, it’s just fallacious.

By the way, I’ve repeatedly acknowledged the fact that this was obviously not the message anyone intended to send. The politics here came about unintentionally. So you’re not making much of a point by saying that yet again. The thing is, actions and impact matter just as much as intent, or more. We can still make mistakes unintentionally - it’s only if we keep making those mistakes, after being made aware of their impact, that they become intentionally bad. That’s why I made a suggestion to not take this particular approach again.

6 Likes

Are you dismissing the fact that tons more people commit suicide on Valentine’s day than most likely Australian day?
You’re missing the whole point of a time and place for everything. And this not being the place for your offensive against Australian day.
It seems like you made a statement. And are now literally dying on your cross despite the community screaming that they don’t want any part of your serious discussion on a video game forums.
Perhaps Disney or Nickelodeon has a forums that you can push your self righteous agenda on instead. :grinning:

Australia is on fire. There’s a deadly disease spreading thoughtout the world. Earthquakes are killing folks on a weekly basis. A commercial airplane full of civilians was shot down by a country due to a military officer being assassinated.
And you want us to give a flying Frank about Australian day because a video game company tried to profit off of it?
…good franking luck.

1 Like

“How dare you care about bad thing, that means you must not care about other bad things”

Have you been able to come up with anything that’s not a fallacy?

I also think an Australia Day event is a perfectly reasonable time and place to bring up why an Australia Day event is a bad idea. But I imagine there’s no time or place I could bring this up where people like you wouldn’t write paragraphs about it’s the wrong time and place how I shouldn’t have dared bring it up. So I just have no interest in pleasing someone like you.

And you claim that the community doesn’t want this, but my original reply got 6 likes, which I believe is actually more than the number of people who have demanded that I say nothing. Certainly they’re similar enough numbers. So maybe you don’t have the right to speak for everyone or dictate what is wanted here.

6 Likes

I meant unintentionally ON THE PART OF THE DEVS. This was not what THEY intended. What are you talking about? Have you even read my posts?

3 Likes

I could have made it my own thread, sure, but I wasn’t trying to make a bigger deal out of it or draw more attention to it than necessary. This is quibbling over pointless details, as nobody is being forced to read this regardless of what thread it’s in. You’re simultaneously accusing me of making too much of this, while attacking me for not making even more of it by making a thread dedicated to it.

I am not interested in comparing likes or deciding arguments via some kind of democratic means. I was only pointing out that there are enough people who want this discussion on this forum, making your accusations against me (“the community screaming that they don’t want any part of your serious discussion”) false. You’re clearly acting in bad faith and taking my responses to you out of context, and I won’t be wasting any more time on arguments like that.

But ultimately, my response here was not aimed at the community, it was aimed at the devs. It has been repeatedly conveyed that the forums are where we should go to provide feedback to the devs about any aspect of the game. I am posting here to offer that feedback, and they can choose whether or not they take it on board. I hope they do, since again, I am asking them to avoid politics in the game entirely, and that should be something we can agree on.

4 Likes

Oh, and I also have no interest whatsoever in wasting my time with anyone demanding that politics not be allowed on the GoW forums. (Not in the game - and again, I am actually arguing that there should be no politics in the game, too.) Salty has already stated, both here and in past topics, that political discussion is allowed. That’s it. It’s a settled debate.

2 Likes

Real smart move. Take the first sentence of a paragraph out of context, and reply to that, ignoring the rest of the paragraph and the entire point that was being made. I have already replied to this, I shouldn’t have to repeat myself. I did not bring those numbers up to support my claim, I brought them up to disprove yours. Which they did. It has no further meaning.

Australia Day is political. It is inherently political. Many Australians on all sides of the debate, regardless of where they stand on changing the date, are well aware that it is political. The devs did not intend to take a stance on a divisive issue, but they have inadvertently done so. This can easily be avoided in the future.

You’re obviously going to keep ignoring all of my actual points, since you are constantly taking me out of context, inventing strawmen, and attacking and insulting me personally. I have remained civil and tried to avoid personal remarks, while you have insisted on making the entire debate about me, and I think that tells people all they need to know.

I didn’t come here for an argument, I came here to give feedback. I’ve done that. And I am now absolutely done with the inane personal nonsense that has almost nothing to do with that feedback. If everyone really hates this debate that much, they are welcome to stop posting and let it end.

6 Likes

You have to keep in mind you’re arguing with a strong person who isn’t offended by anything. You’re the bad person for caring, a “dumb, triggered snowflake”.

That’s why the moment you went against his sensibilities he decided to spend hours generating pages of arguments about why you should stop making him ask hard questions about himself and instead only tell jokes that make him feel better. He’s not “offended”, he’s “messing with a carehard it for the lulz” before he retreats to his sanctum where nobody disagrees with his ideas. He has to keep arguing to show you how little he cares about the issue.

10 Likes

While I do think their are merits to the discussion around a holiday’s troubled past, it should be to remember what happened, and why we shouldn’t let it happen again.

Columbus day gets similar flak, but it appears, intentionally or unintentionally, to be used as a club to bludgeon those seen as “privileged”.

When it comes to history, I want to take a field trip, not as guilt trip. The knowledge gained from learning from the past should be for a better future, not trying to drudge up the past for the sake of feeling bad for something that not only occurred centuries ago, but where people alive today had nothing to do with it. That just points fingers and gets nothing done.

7 Likes

It’s worth mentioning that this pet was released on 29th January. So technically nobody should have a problem with it. :grin:

I don’t feel strongly about Australia Day. I am not Australian.
I don’t know how my reply is self righteous either. It expressed my views that any on line game forum is not the place to express political opinions. On anything.
But whatever.

I wasn’t replying to your comment. I was quoting it. You weren’t the “you” I was addressing as being self righteous. The individual was saying that 6 likes towards her comment proves that she had community support. You had the opposite argument and also generated 6 likes on the comment I was quoting.

2 Likes