New Pet - Urskoala

Evelyn was neither combative nor stirring up trouble. She politely said, i think this and here’s why. The rest of it was pretty chill. If anything, it’s been only angsty since you started going toe to toe, awr. I never knew there was an issue with Australia day, but it may end up like Columbus Day for me. May he burn in a fiery pit of doom.

4 Likes

The only thing that bothers me about this whole thread is that the typo in the title never got corrected :laughing:

3 Likes

Why do we even have community guidelines if folks are going to just flag stuff they don’t like, but don’t violate the guidelines in anyway?

1 Like

I didn’t mention her nor reply to her comment. So basically all I did was share my opinion on the matter.

That’s when she decided to @me so to speak. :man_shrugging:

My point was, and my point still is. There’s a time and place for everything.
And I personally don’t feel like an official news thread about a pet that’s picture isn’t offensive, and it’s name isn’t offensive… shouldn’t generate a political debate solely on this thread.

1 Like

I think people get their posts flagged/hidden and then start a tit-for-tat battle against those who they presume flagged them?

Which is a dangerous game since I haven’t flagged any posts in at least a month.
But that’s because I actually know what the community guidelines are… So I only get to flag folks when they actually violate them. Which doesn’t happen a lot.

3 Likes

Right there with you one that. I think I’ve flagged one thing once. Now global, that’s on a grand number of more than five, less than ten.

1 Like

I’ve been removing incorrect flags in this thread. @Evelyn has been nothing but civil and respectful. As devs we do not take sides or offer our opinions on these matters, and if a discussion is started we will not remove it (and will only step in if guidelines are violated). We are not here to police discussion, as long as it remains civil.

Some of the replies to Evelyn have been borderline in violation of our guidelines. Debate is fine, openly ridiculing and insulting people is not. Use your common sense when discussing this further.

3 Likes

Personally…I never throw the first punch.
Should I ever throw a punch? Probably not.
But of the list of things that require my self-improvement… How I argue with strangers on the internet… Is unfortunately at the bottom of the list.
Not saying the comment was about me. But in case it was. Every thing I said was justified.

I think a “problem” (and I mean that with real sarcastic quotes on it) is it seems like it only takes a single flag to Dark Mark a post and hide it. Saying one thing can cheese 10 people off, and each of those 10 has the power to strike down one of your posts. Theoretically it’s a good deterrent against bad behavior but I think a lot of people don’t give a flip.

A more realistic problem could be that there’s not an apparent penalty for revenge-flagging if done carefully. I mean, sure, if I flagged every post in this thread as “offensive” I have a feeling Salty would have a few stern words for me. Extremes are bad cases.

But like, AWR’s last post? I could legitimately call it off-topic, though it’s smarter to point out this thread’s topic has meandered so much it’d take some serious effort to justify that kind of vote. Still, I bet if I did it, I wouldn’t face a penalty. (Some jerk is going to do it right now, I swear to Anu I didn’t do it, AWR, I’ve got no beef with you at the moment.)

I think it’d be interesting to see what happened if forum policies actually applied teeth to troublemakers. That’s a bold statement from me because my neck’s on that chopping block. But I could namedrop at least two people as likely to cause strife as me, and it just might be worth it if they go down with me too. As-is, my assumption is the troublemakers are considered “passionate players” and are therefore “too dangerous” to discipline seriously.

People who know they have no accountability don’t tend to behave well. But here I am talking about politics again. sigh

Thanks for clarifying that I appreciate it. Sorry for the misunderstanding

1 Like

Hey @Sirrian

Is this off topic divisive political crap allowed in official news forum posts? @Saltypatra seems to think so. Maybe the publisher has an opinion, since they approved Australia Day sale? Or maybe we can have an Invasion Day sale, I’d buy that too.

Everyone should have got it in their mail today. If you for some reason didn’t log in to collect it, you still have 2.5 hours. Otherwise it may be available if RNG deems it so on one of the non event weekends I assume.

1 Like

Way to show your bias @Saltypatra.
Evidently this personal judgement of me gets unflagged. But my judgement of someones argument remains flagged. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Saying someone is this…

When all my actual argument was “do it on a different thread”. Should be equal to claiming someone is being self righteous.

And what makes it funny is most of my posts were sticking up for the devs. Saying just because a cosmetic is released on Australian day doesn’t inherently mean that y’all support the day. But it’s cool… I’m a big boy and can handle personal attacks about me without needing to flag it. Nevermind the fact that the individual has a grudge against me for like 2 years now because back then I didn’t share my teams. Now I do… But evidently that doesn’t appease old wounds I guess.
Is this comment off topic? Only if you consider me sticking up for myself and pointing out hypocrisy as off topic. Which it’s only on topic because the post was unflagged by @Saltypatra.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sirrian holds the same views that I do. If anything becomes inflammatory or violates community guidelines the offenders will be warned and/or banned, and the threads handled appropriately. (If they are particularly abusive they will be removed, otherwise they will be locked.)

@Slypenslyde I just missed them, as I’m working on other things as well. It wasn’t intentional and I’ll be going through the tags now. Please give me the benefit of the doubt. (Edit, and after saying that I went to look and the flags on your posts have been rejected.)

1 Like

Honestly I expected those flags, I felt strongly enough I was willing to eat them. I think (and you have a better picture of it than I do) that flags were being used in this thread as weapons in a slap fight.

In the end it proved something I see time and again on the internet: attempting to use “no politics” as a political tool to suppress opinions generally only leads to a bigger mess with more politics as people begin to discuss which opinions are valuable enough to allow and which should be “illegal”, followed by who’s authorized to do what in retaliation, etc. It’s so much easier to bury ideas by ignoring them, and calling for the absence of politics is, in and of itself, a political move.

I don’t envy you having to sort it out.

2 Likes

I had muted this thread but came back today to see what all the fuss is about…

I noticed that 1 July is the observance of Hong Kong Special Administative Region Establishment Day. The same website I saw that on also stated 1 July is International Joke Day. Please discuss the ramifications of observing these on the same day. I’m bored, and there’s a blizzard outside.

Did this thread really need to be revived?

I mean, the purpose of your post can’t be to discuss Urskoala. So I assume it’s to:

• Ridicule the people who dared note some ramifications of Australia day.
  • Create new drama because you’re bored.

While we’re on-topic in terms of improper flagging, this is I think a great case for an off-topic flag. Your post should’ve been a new thread in the “Off Topic” category since it matters so much what we post where.

1 Like

I should not have said I was bored, as it implies that perhaps I found this topic of discussion boring, when in fact I found it enlightening. It is delve faction Tuesday that I find boring.

And I shouldn’t have brought up other colonized regions of the world that might have issues with conflicting holidays in the future. In retrospect, I should flag my own post, but cannot. It was off-topic.

I get confused sometimes. Thanks for clarifying.