Life and Death Orbweaver is particularly troublesome during Guild Wars because the troops you have access to in fighting it is reduced to a single color. Any troops that don’t have that color are useless, even if they were the best troop for it outside that color. Voice of Orpheus? Can’t use it on Green/Brown/Blue attack days.
Life and Death is a huge problem with Orbweaver because of several reasons that flow with each other:
- Orbweaver has a 35% chance when taking damage to summon a Giant Spider.
- Orbweaver is almost always played with Life and Death.
- Life and Death uses Black and Purple.
- Giant Spider transforms any color into Purple, but Giant Spider itself uses Green and Blue. Giant Spider also has Magic Link, gaining bonus Purple Mana for Life and Death. Giant Spider on top of funneling mana quickly into Life and Death summons a Spider Swarm, which uses Red Mana – which again doesn’t color block Life and Death at all.
- Orbweaver has Haunted Weave talent which webs a random enemy when summoning a troop. Now Orbweaver’s third trait reads: “35% chance when taking damage to summon a Giant Spider and web a random enemy.”
- Orbweaver has Stealth, so you can’t target it without stunning it.
- Life and Death Blesses you, so you can’t be stunned to remove the Stealth.
- Life and Death also enchants which is a ticking time bomb for when there aren’t gem matches. One purple match and a few turns later Life and Death is ready to cast again.
- Life and Death doesn’t just deal true damage, it also heals the caster.
- Then it Death Marks TWO targets.
- Then to pour salt on a wound, it drains mana from the first enemy troop, just in case they were full mana and ready to cast the next turn. Now you’re a turn behind getting the mana back to cast it.
If I was going to severely nerf the Orbweaver + Life and Death combination, I would take a nerf bat to the following things:
- Life and Death should have its damage reduced to (Magic/2)+1 instead of Magic+1. There’s no reason it needs to deal 1 true damage to two targets per Magic and heal for the same amount. That’s ridiculous.
- If it’s going to keep Bless, it should lose Enchanting. And I’m not sure why it has Lightning, that doesn’t fit its theme at all, it’s just an annoying way for it to ping off Barrier on the first two enemy troops.
- Orbweaver’s chance to summon should be more like 10-15%. Look at all the other summons in the game… Backup is 35% chance when an Ally dies. Hellsteed (Diabolist) and Wind’s Child of Sky are 25% chance when Ally casts a spell. Knowledge’s Golem Protector is 20% chance when you take damage (and Ancient Golem doesn’t loop at all!) Shadow’s Call is 20% chance when an enemy dies. Spawn of Hell is 50% chance when an enemy dies. Orbweaver is 35% chance when you take damage, and the troop it summons can summon more troops.